Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rivers in mountains - howto  (Read 545 times)

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
Rivers in mountains - howto
« on: March 31, 2018, 03:39:58 AM »

1.Open map_H.tga in GIMP
2. Add a layer made from one quarter of Mymap_c.tga
3. Select there a piece of river, preferably straight as possible.
4. Copy that selection to map_H layer. Remove the Mymap_c layer.
5. Enlarge the selection by one pixel.
6. Still having it selected,  set forward RGB as required at higher end of the river portion,
   and background RGB as at lower end. EDIT:or about 1 pixel lower.
7. Use Fill diffuse tool.
8. Copy the selection to new, second empty layer.
9. Join the first selection  with map_H, enlarge the selection by e.g. 10 pixels, filter Gaussian blurr.
10. Join the all selections with map_H, make it flattened, save as new map_H.tga with RLE compression  unchecked.

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Rivers in mountains - howto
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 09:51:40 PM »

At first glance this seems like a somewhat convoluted procedure. Is the intention to get a river which is all shallows so as to avoid the otherwise appearance of a transparent slice on the landscape through which is too clearly seen the water that lies far below?

If so, my approach would be simply to reduce the darkness of the river line on map_c to the level that corresponds to the RGB value for shallows. For the desired section of river to apply this to, select it and lower contrast so as to make the range of pixel values smaller, then alter brightness to the appropriate level of grey.

I probably don't fully understand what your technique accomplishes, hence the guesswork. ;) And I probably can't reliably replicate your process because I'm a Photoshop guy, not a GIMP user.

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
Re: Rivers in mountains - howto
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 01:34:42 AM »

At first glance this seems like a somewhat convoluted procedure. Is the intention to get a river which is all shallows so as to avoid the otherwise appearance of a transparent slice on the landscape through which is too clearly seen the water that lies far below?

If so, my approach would be simply to reduce the darkness of the river line on map_c to the level that corresponds to the RGB value for shallows. For the desired section of river to apply this to, select it and lower contrast so as to make the range of pixel values smaller, then alter brightness to the appropriate level of grey.

I probably don't fully understand what your technique accomplishes, hence the guesswork. ;) And I probably can't reliably replicate your process because I'm a Photoshop guy, not a GIMP user.
I think the essence of youirs and mine approach is the same, one workimng wirh mymap_C and the other one with map_H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.