Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attention Mod Users - Online Mods are an "either/or" choice  (Read 1565 times)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Attention Mod Users - Online Mods are an "either/or" choice
« on: March 29, 2018, 06:17:37 AM »

Just as a heads up, please be aware that if you enable Mods, you will only see Mods-enabled Servers in the Multiplayer Server list.
Unfortunately this is also true in the opposite direction: If you have Mods disabled, you won't see Mods-enabled Servers anymore.
The latter is the reason why our FAC test server has no mods enabled yet, and it's also the reason why I've posted a suggestion accordingly in the official forums:
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/767-thread-to-gather-your-suggestions/?page=18&tab=comments#comment-597146

Cheers!
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

sniperton

Re: Attention Mod Users - Online Mods are an "eiter/or" choice
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 09:58:50 AM »

I suppose you can only allow no mods / all mods on server-side, right? And I suppose the server decides on the basis whether the client has the 'mods on' checkbox ticked. I mean it is the checkbox that matters and not the mods that are actually activated.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 10:06:05 AM »

Exactly true, the checkbox matters.
And as soon as you enable mods on server side ( = let "mods on" players connect to your server), your server will not be listed for "mods off" players, only "mods on" players will see it.
This is like if there were two completely separated worlds online, and one cannot see the other.
IMHO this is bull, but the devs have to decide.
My feeling is that if mods are enabled server-side, even "mods off" players should be able to join, as mods are optional after all.

Cheers!
Mike

sniperton

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 10:58:53 AM »

Yep, your suggestion was completely reasonable. I can't grasp why they felt it a good idea to fully separate the two 'realms'. It's even contra-intuitive to some extent.

sniperton

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 04:41:18 PM »

What if you declared the FAC server mod-friendly? You may ask FAC users to tick the box, no matter whether they have any mods activated. They won't be able log in to Berloga or WoL or to the official server, but honestly, how many people are wanting both FAC and the rest at the same time?

LuseKofte

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 06:40:18 PM »

Iam a bit slow here, but what exactly means by mod on? I havent seen a mod anywhere for this game

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 12:16:16 AM »

You are indeed a bit late Otto 8)
Since version 3.001 Mods can be enabled in the Game Settings.
This lets the game load it's files from the "data" directory first, with fallback to the GPT archives. A GPT extractor is available.
This gives you access to e.g. textures/skins (in DXT3 format, ".dds" files), luascript files and other plain text content.
It does not give you access to the game's code, which is native, so there's no point in trying to decompile/recompile it like we did with IL-2's Java Code, or the 3D models, which are present in a proprietary "MDM" format where we don't have the tools to convert them to/from 3DS Max, all that is known is that the plugin used by 1C/777 to convert 3DS Max Files to the game's MDM format is written for 3DS Max 2012 32 Bit.

Cheers!
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.