Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battle for Smolensk _IL-2  (Read 2543 times)

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
Battle for Smolensk _IL-2
« on: March 16, 2018, 09:37:56 AM »

Smolensk ILTitle by CzechTexan, on Flickr

Download:  http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=2531

A 17-mission campaign based on historical events in which you will fly an IL-2 Sturmovik in the battles for Orsha and Smolensk, July 1941.

After finishing the large encirclement battle at Minsk (west of Tolochin, off the map) the German blitzkrieg rolled east with its panzers. Russian armies fell back but also attempted to defend with counterattacks. These were rather easily brushed aside, however, the fighting did cause delays in the German timetable. Summer thunderstorms, mud, and poor roads have also slowed the blitz.

During this time Russian heavy tanks like the KV-1, KV-2, and T-34 made a marked appearance in large numbers in the Smolensk region. German panzers had a difficult time against the heavier enemy armor but prevailed when the Russians ran out of fuel or had their tracks disabled.

Stalin and his generals strongly defended the Smolensk region because it was the gateway straight to Moscow. The region was known as the Vitebsk-Orsha-Smolensk land bridge. After the devastating "frontier" battles in the opening phase of Operation Barbarossa in which the Soviets lost whole armies, hundreds of tanks and having their air force seemingly destroyed, the Soviets were still able to replace the huge losses. The Smolensk region was fortified with large amounts of tanks and aircraft which were moved from the rear to the front. The Germans soon found out that the battles for Smolensk would not be a cakewalk.

Sturmoviks in this campaign have the "strange camo" which is discussed here: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=23092

There are no skins included in this download!

*Please download the "Battle for Smolensk Yak-1" campaign which has all skins needed for all four campaigns (yak-1, Su-2, Il-2, Pe-2).
 (This is done so that the skins will not have to be downloaded three different times).

This campaign is built on Cyberolas' re-textured Smolensk map in the VPModpack for IL-2 v4.12
 (see Mods link above).
 This campaign should work fine on any mod pack install that has Cyberolas' Smolensk map and is capable of using Taxi-to-takeoff and takeoff in pairs/line.

*if playing in the normal stock IL-2 1946 - there may be problems because of the map's different "static" objects.
 See the readme file for directions.

Skin Credits:
 Dmitry Samsonov = Bf109
 Mangas = I-16type24
 vpmedia = IL-2
 BBop = Su-2
 PhilK = Su-2
 Emel = Yak-1
 Hayate = Template and skins for "IL-2_Single-seater_4colours"
 CzechTexan= IL-2_Single-seaters "3Shades_10" and "DarkBlotches"

and CharlesVDB59 for making the "blotches" for the IL-2 "DarkBlotches"

- Thanks to all!

note: the Yak-1 and Su-2 campaigns use a different skin (by vpmedia) for the IL-2 and it is also a later model of the IL-2 than in the Battle for Smolensk_IL-2 campaign.

The IL-2 campaign utilizes the IL-2_1940_late model (SKINS folder) which is more historically accurate.
 In the Full Mission Builder (FMB) this IL-2 shows as the "IL-2 1941 series 2."

Smolensk 17 by CzechTexan, on Flickr

Smolensk 16 by CzechTexan, on Flickr

Smolensk battle by CzechTexan, on Flickr

Smolensk 13 by CzechTexan, on Flickr

Smolensk 11 by CzechTexan, on Flickr

Dimlee

Re: Battle for Smolensk _IL-2
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 01:43:53 PM »

Thank you.
Are missions the same as in Smolensk Su-2 campaign?

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 02:44:56 PM »

Thank you.
Are missions the same as in Smolensk Su-2 campaign?
No, they are not.  I did not replace the Su-2s with IL-2s.  IL-2s in this campaign have different targets, although many are in the same area as the Su-2 targets.  Some targets are completely new.  I did not want the missions to be the same because that makes them seem like deja vu :)

I think you'll like these missions.  The IL-2 is more flexible, especially with its rockets and 20mm (early version) compared to the Su-2 weapons.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 06:00:19 PM »

Hi Toobone.  Glad you're enjoying it and fixing it your own way.  8)

Toobone

• Mapper
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 07:30:33 AM »

..smthg freezes (mikro) ingame with this campaign only, both others for Yak & Su works perfect.. 
By the way: R-5-bots with heavy bombs aboard always having crash in all your campaigns for Smolensk map, need fixes fuel till 60% ot 50% (as it was in-real) ;) 

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 06:35:15 PM »

..smthg freezes (mikro) ingame with this campaign only, both others for Yak & Su works perfect.. 
By the way: R-5-bots with heavy bombs aboard always having crash in all your campaigns for Smolensk map, need fixes fuel till 60% ot 50% (as it was in-real) ;)
Freezing with this campaign only?? 
I'd like to know if others have this problem.

hmm, R-5 A/I crash??  I'd like to know if others have this problem.

I don't know about fuel levels but I guessed that they should be lower and not 100%.
So should it be 50-60% fuel for these planes?
Thanks for tips.

Toobone

• Mapper
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 07:31:49 AM »

Freezing with this campaign only??
Yeap. Maybe Barnesy Il-2 influence.

hmm, R-5 A/I crash??
  Yeap, in all three campaigns.

So should it be 50-60% fuel for these planes?
Thanks for tips.
Yeap, and speed must be always more than 220 km/h with heavy bombs. Discovered this phenomen when personally tested  the  Battle of Moscow campaign from Motorhead for DGenpack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 23 queries.