Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IMF viewer saves tga+alpha as one layer  (Read 2351 times)

Fhechene

IMF viewer saves tga+alpha as one layer
« on: March 09, 2018, 10:03:36 AM »

So, I'm trying to open some default IMF's (the ones posing as tga's) with IMF viewer. As I save them as tga's, the resulting tga has only one layer, which is the skin plus the alpha. I want them as separate layers, of course, so, could anyone point me in the right direction?

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
Re: IMF viewer saves tga+alpha as one layer
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »

Isn't IMF format ARGB 32bit single layer graphic ?

Even if (I don't know) current newer IMF has multi layers, IL-2 1946 version (2007y) IMF was only so.
In looking into stock models' IMF texture data, 1024x1024x32bit files with .tgb filename extension have 4099KB size, 512x512x32bit ones have 1026KB size.
They look single layer ARGB 32bit uncompressed.

Fhechene

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »

If they are single layer, then, it wouldn't be possible to remove the "black spots" of tgas extracted with IMF viewer?

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 09:20:16 PM »

IMF viewer is used to convert the stock tga and tgb files to readable tga format which can be opened by Photoshop, etc. These tga files sometimes have an alpha channel but it is never required to convert it into a layer.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 10:43:54 PM »

If they are single layer, then, it wouldn't be possible to remove the "black spots" of tgas extracted with IMF viewer?

I cannot understand enough what you want to mean by the words "black spots" .... though ....

Do you want multi layered templates easy to change colors or camouflage in keeping panel lines and rivet holes , cloth wrinkle ?

Your posts aren't clear what you want , not concrete. So, we cannot advise you directly.
If your aiming is about aircrafts, using void.bmp in Paintschemes/Skins/ folder is easiest. All stock aircrafts have to have official void.bmp .
If not aircrafts ..... but ships or tanks / cars or buildings , no void.bmp provided so.

Fhechene

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 10:32:34 PM »

I cannot understand enough what you want to mean by the words "black spots" .... though ....

Do you want multi layered templates easy to change colors or camouflage in keeping panel lines and rivet holes , cloth wrinkle ?

Your posts aren't clear what you want , not concrete. So, we cannot advise you directly.
If your aiming is about aircrafts, using void.bmp in Paintschemes/Skins/ folder is easiest. All stock aircrafts have to have official void.bmp .
If not aircrafts ..... but ships or tanks / cars or buildings , no void.bmp provided so.
Yes, my comment lacked some detail.
You said that you were gonna look into stock models. What I did is, with IMF viewer, open a .tga (which we know is actually an IMF) file in the summer folder of some random airplane. You know, a stock skin. When I saved that skin as .tga, that file was saved as a single layered file. So, the alpha layer and the skin layer are saved as only one layer. That means that when you open this .tga, you get the skin and some black spots.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 11:29:37 PM »

Ah ....
Those alpha-channel transparent holes mean enemies' bullet holes when damaged in dog fighting.

Not IL-2 1946 specific and also not IMF Viewer specific, "A" layer has an alpha-channel inside as ARGB (or RGBA) 32bit format.

I don't know the most smart way to get rid of the alpha-channel , but in GIMP such operation will give you the result.

1. Load the converted TGA file.
2. Choose Colors - Components - Decompose menu

3. Choose "Color model: RGBA" and "Decompose to layers"

4. You 've got 4x layered gray scale new picture .....

then Delete the "alpha" layer and Do "Colors - Components - Compose" again as RGB color model.

Photoshop or some other graphics editor applications may have similar function.

Fhechene

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 10:37:07 AM »

Worked as advertised. Thanks. Now, maybe I'm getting too picky, but, now you get to manually color the image file, right? There's no way around getting a grayscale image. Isn't it?

Edit 2: It seems I missed the last line of your post. Man, I should go to sleep now.

Edit: Of course there is. You now go to Colors->Components->Compose. Man, I'm getting the hang of this.
Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GIMP/comments/33g7am/help_how_do_i_combine_3_monochrome_rgb_images_to/cqkmywa/
Thanks, reddit!

Greif11

• Modder
  • Salty??....Just taste it
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 05:41:02 PM »

2 ways of lossless operation with .tgb files.
1 manually rename .tgb to .tga  -- in windows must be shown file extensions or use 7z file manager(as option for rename).

2nd way  open .tgb skin in SKNIL  and command SAVE AS     = new texture name.tga
You get normal tga texture with alpha channel.

And for skins use Photoshop.

GIMp vs Photoshop as paint roller vs aerograph.

To get grayscale open in photoshop =>Image=>Correction=>De colorize  ==grayscale

Or use Filter SilverEffexPRO but that another and expensive story )))

That download link content also template for P-51D --layered PSD file for Photoshop.

https://ulozto.net/!RpCVKav3Kn6U/fbs-templates-7z
High quality templates by Fly By Shooter.

https://ulozto.net/!Xzjn8uxRH/il-2-1946-jesters-ink-templates-7z

Psd templates by Jesters Ink. This collection was hosted at 'simmers paintshop'.

Simmers paintshop RIP. But some works still alive.

+ P-51A  http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/request.php?247
Author Jarink  A&A paintshop forum
BRGDS Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 28 queries.