Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike's new project  (Read 4472 times)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Failure is not an option.
    • What goes around comes around, you'll see
Re: Mike's new project
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2019, 02:59:16 AM »

That's exactly the idea Skylla.
The Switchbox covers all the key commands you would usually have to look up from manuals first.
Most of the keys you will find blindly after a couple of days, otherwise the coloured keys can be used to group commands by their "topic", e.g. all engine commands on one colour, all weapon commands on another etc. so in case you have to look for the right key, you don't need to scan all 40 keys but just 10 of them.

To me the switchbox proved very valuable.
No more funny and fancy unintended things happening just because I pressed Alt+P where Shift+P would have been the right combo...

]cheers[
Mike
Learn. Challenge. Improve. In loving memory of the times when I cared...

sniperton

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2019, 07:36:36 AM »

No more funny and fancy unintended things happening just because I pressed Alt+P where Shift+P would have been the right combo...

Don't take me wrong, I don't argue for using key combinations instead, it's just the sheer amount of buttons that makes me wonder what's the advantage over assigning e.g. engine controls to QWERTZ, weapon controls to ASDFGH, etc, etc. It's something like a very detailed 2D map without the keybord F and J bumps to help you locate them blindly.

I find it more ergonomic to define modifier keys on my left hand hotas and to multiply this way the functionality of my right hand joystick buttons. Flaps, pitch control, all three trim axes and supercharger are all on my hat switch for instance, the keyboard is only used for engine selection, bomb selection, start engine, level autopilot, i.e. for functions where my left hand can leave the throttle/hotas part without dire consequencies.

Anyway, congrats to both of you for designing and producing this masterpiece.  ;D

Blaubaer

• Flying Ass Clown N
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2019, 04:29:07 PM »

I suppose he is going to label them.
At least I would do so ;)
But aside from this, after having to look at the labels for a while I would certainly expect to find the right button "blind" at some point.
Anyway, congratulations Blaubär!
Thank you Skylla. The labels are helpful, you quickly get used to the switchboard and it gives me a feeling of more realism.

Regards, Michael
Zieht die Rettungswesten an, denn Hein Bloed steht heut' am Ruder, er ist unser bester Mann!

sniperton

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2019, 04:09:11 AM »

Just an insanity check, please forgive me for my ignorance   ::)
I'm a little bit perplexed by KiCad's schematics for the Teensy++ 2.0.

Am I right assuming that...

... red pins #2 to #20 are for button matrix and correspond to the physical pins B7, D0 to D7, E0 to E1, and C0 to C7? (with the remark that #9/D6 should be skipped)

... red pins #24 to #31 are for analog input and correspond to the physical pins F0 to F7?

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2019, 04:33:09 AM »

Yes, that's correct.
The PIN's names differ according to the software being used.
B7, D0 to D7 etc. are C language pin names:

The kicad drawing uses simple numbers for the pins, but I've added the Arduino language pin names to it, like "INT0_PWM" etc., according to the arduino naming specification:

]cheers[
Mike

sniperton

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2019, 06:34:44 AM »

Thanks Mike for the clarification.
As I see (e.g. here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/18379-teensy-20-mmjoy2-firmware-joystick-controller/?tab=comments#comment-288080) MMJoy identifies MCU ports by the C language code, so I guess I'd better stick to them as I don't want to go into custom coding as you did (I only need a 6x6 matrix and 8 analog inputs).

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2019, 08:44:29 AM »

Well in that case...
MMJoy works great within it's limits.
The main reason I went away from MMJoy was the fact that I wanted to turn my box into two controllers.
That required some deep hacks in the USB code of the Teensy library, but eventually it worked.
If 6x6 + 8 axis is enough for you, then MMJoy will definitely do the trick for you.

]cheers[
Mike
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 25 queries.