Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading the Cross Channel Map (352nd FG)  (Read 1399 times)

Kopfdorfer

• Potez 63.11 France's most significant AC in 1940
Upgrading the Cross Channel Map (352nd FG)
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »

Hey Guys,

I am looking for a partner in a map upgrade project.
               I would like to propose an upgrade to the CCM by the 352nd VFG.

I have enjoyed many hours on this map , both in the company of
               the 352nd Guys , and on my own , and it deserves a little make-up.

One of the omissions in the public release version , is the
               non-population of the RAF Bodney (home of the 352nd FG) base itself .
               This is understandable ,
               as the 352nd VFG meticulously planned and built the historical layout
               for their own use , including specific objects unique to it. They have
               not released these to the community at large which is , of course ,
               their prerogative.
               I suspect , however , there are a lot of other folks in the community
               who would like to fly as one of , or against the Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney ,
               and for this reason , I'd like to build a facsimile of the Bodney base onto
               this map using publicly available objects.

Further , in my view , the greatest functionality of this map in an historical
               context is for the fledgeling days of the Mighty Eighth Air Force in late 1942
               and early 1943. In this regard the map has omitted most of the early bomber
               bases of the US Eighth Army Air Force , and a couple of significant RAF bases
               as well. I am not proposing the addition of every missing base , but I am proposing
               the addition of a number of such bases to facilitate the take off and landings of
               several of the bomber groups of the Eighth Air Force , to simulate that very
               important units' activities on the geographical area portrayed by the map.

The other glaring omission is the lack of a winter version of this map. Now clearly ,
               winter in England is not the same as on the Russian front , or in the arctic , but it
               would be nice to have a map with subdued colours , heavier cloud , and some hints
               of snow on the edges of fields and roads (water should not be frozen).

352nd Persecutor often mused aloud that he wished the grass airfield textures
              showed some wear and tear in the center of the active runway areas on all-grass
              fields , and I know this is well within the capabilities of the talented map artists out
              there.

What I can offer to do ?
              I have already weighed into the research of the bases , and some of their layouts ,
              and truthfully this is the most I am capable of at this time.

I fully realize that the lion's share of the work involved in this request must come
              from others , and I realize also that because of this most mapmakers will pass ,
              preferring to spend time on their own projects.

If this project interests anyone out there with the skills required beyond the research ,
              please let me know and I will do what I can , and indeed will try to learn more if that
              is necessary.

Sincerely ,

Kopfdorfer

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
Re: Upgrading the Cross Channel Map (352nd FG)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 05:10:18 PM »

Kopfdorfer;
Why not do this on the Western Front map(s)?  If you're going to the trouble of creating more accurate bomber and fighter bases why not use a map that represents more of the European theatre (i.e. give 'em the room to do their thing)?  ;)

Those maps already have the four seasons so you wouldn't have to work on that aspect.

Just a suggestion.

Kopfdorfer

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 05:58:53 PM »

Hey ToMoose,

I use those maps alot too.
The difference is that the Westfront maps don't have the area in England that was the base for
(most of) the Eighth Air Force.
The CCM has elements of Norfolk , Suffolk , Essex , Cambridgeshire , Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire.
It's a trade off really (East for West) , but that is why I described this as suitable for the early missions of the
Eighth Air Force , where their forays were not as distant from England as they became.

The LaChute Map has its value too , but the cost of geographical scale on that map
means that the overall number of airbases is high , meaning that many are excluded
in order to keep a functional frame rate.

Kopfdorfer

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 11:18:01 AM »

Ackd. 

On a sidetrack, is there a standalone download of the LaChute map...just the map?

My mum learned to drive on one of those airfields in Lincolnshire before we emigrated.  I was too young to realise the significance at the time.  Later when I saw the beginning of the movie 12 O'clock High I had one of those "haaaang on a minute!" moments, LOL.

Kopfdorfer

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 01:25:40 PM »

Yes there are standalone versions for HSFX.
PM me your email address and I'll send them to you.

Kopf

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 04:49:40 PM »

Kopfdorfer, I have a remade version of Spit's map that I have redrawn, retextured and extensively remade with Canon's airfields to represent the 8th USAAF's home territory in East Anglia. And the map has most of North-Western Europe. (I cut it off at Kiel).

It's still WiP. I only made about 1/3 of the airfields, as there were far more in real life than you could ever use in the game. East Anglia was virtually one huge airfield in late WW2.

I also put in all the major Jagdwaffe and Nachtjagdwaffe fields using Canon's airfields.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 26 queries.