Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Been working on a campaign for Albert Ball with 11 SQN RFC  (Read 1940 times)

oldbutto

Been working on a campaign for Albert Ball with 11 SQN RFC
« on: February 23, 2018, 02:10:16 AM »

G'day team, I've been working up a campaign for Albert Ball's early career with 11 SQN RFC. I have used MS N instead of Bristol Scout and N11 instead of N16.( Only the RNAS ever got N11 with only about 10 ever serving on the Western Front. RFC had only N16 until mid to late 1916. Ball was one of the first to get a N17 (A201). I have put some words into Ball's mouth about the N16 echoing some recorded comments on them (fast but the glide angle of a cannonball).

As part of the research I plotted where the kills fell to get the points of contact about right. I also reskinned some French pushers as FE 2s to represent the other aircraft in 11 SQN. (Please forgive my average skins as they are the first I've ever done).

One of the problems I have struck is the flight model of the Roland CII. Ball shot down about a dozen of these attacking flights of up to a dozen at a time (read the medal citations on his bio at the aerodrome). The Roland flown by the AI is best described as a noisy glider. I have had to start the target CIIs as an air start well above Balls approach but unless you are quick they will be FTL before you can kill them.

Am I doing something wrong or is it an FM problem?

Regards Butto

Unca-Fester

• Graduate of the Dirk Gently School of mucking about.
  • Modder
Re: Been working on a campaign for Albert Ball with 11 SQN RFC
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 02:12:13 PM »

According to some here, a lot of the WWI plane's FM are sort of frankenplane derivatives.  So it could be just the FM.

I've had some experience with other WWI flight sims FM and the Roland is a strange beast.  In CFS3-WOFF it's way too ubered and manuverable, flying similar to an oversized Fokker DVII.  A DH2 hardly has a chance against a Roland CII in OFF, where historically they're actually fairly well matched with an edge in maneuverability to the Airco, but it giving up some speed to the more powerful engine of the Roland

The Roland should have a bit of wing area lift efficiency loss due to it's biplane wings being too close together. it's somewhat aerodynamically clean but the fuselage is really tall and has a fair bit of frontal area, so it has two negatives from induced drag loss and slightly more frontal area drag. 

I have some issues with a lot of these IL-2 WWI planes.   The biggy with me is that the rotary engines all torque and P effect backwards to normal left hand turning ( viewed from the front..) rotaries.  The other is the insane amount of propeller inertia and gyroscopic procession.  The Neiuport 10 series seem to be the worst of this group, but the N11, 17 and 20 series, most of the Sopwiths, also take wa-ay too long to spool up to full RPM.

If I knew how to work on these FM's I'd tackle trying to adjust them, apparently you need to know Java to fix them.

vonOben

• Modder
  • Wer den Tod fürchtet, hat das Leben verloren.
    • vonOben's Flight Sim Mods
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 04:33:12 AM »

If I knew how to work on these FM's I'd tackle trying to adjust them, apparently you need to know Java to fix them.

What you need is the FM Tools that converts to a text file. You can have a look in this tread to see how the FM (FokkerDVII_BMW.fmd) looks as a text file:
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,37923.msg420919.html#msg420919

After editing, the text file is converted back again with the FM Tools.
The convertion is not difficult, but understanding all the values in the FM text file is.

Good luck!  :)
vonOben's Flight Sim Mods  http://vonoben.free.fr/ Twenty Years online January 3, 2022!

oldbutto

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 06:05:35 AM »

Thanks guys,

Yep there Seems to be an issue with the Roland CII fm. I tried flying it myself and found that it is very much a "noisy glider". It's very difficult to maintain altitude just going waypoint to waypoint. Trying to manoeuver for a shot just takes you down, and down , and down. Less of an issue as you are blind underneath but with great fields of fire above. If your guy in the backseat is any good you have half a chance. Till you run out of height.

Some other AI flown two sweaters seem to have similar problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 25 queries.