Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: IL-2 Great Battles Sales  (Read 8833 times)

sniperton

Re: IL-2 Great Battles Sales
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 01:35:51 AM »

Two things to add.

Planes in BoX have some 'individuality', you need to adapt your flying style to each one to become successful. You have to 'learn' them one by one. Once learnt, both the Rata and the P-40 (possibly the trickiest plane in the game so far) can be a deadly weapon.

While it's true that creating your own content for BoX takes more effort due to the sophisticated mission editor, there's a 3rd-party app, Patrick Wilson's Campaign Generator (PWCG), which is something like DGen or DCG used to be in the old game. You don't need to fiddle with the in-game mission editor to have innumerable missions created. Besides, Battle of Kuban will be released with a new career mode covering all the historical squadrons in all three theatres, so that you can join any one and fly through the whole conflict with it. 

Captain Dawson

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 01:39:20 PM »

Thanks for your reply Captain Dawson.
I see that we're nearly on the same page, just looking at the same thing from slightly different perspectives maybe.

Concerning P-40 and Spitfire performance:
Sure, facing an expert 109 human pilot in your P-40, you are in trouble. Other than that, it doesn't perform all too bad if you adopt her flying style, which basically means that you don't enter any furball and instead plan your attacks wisely and always keep two things at hands: Time and an exit strategy. It ends up that you come to pick the lone wolf or, if you're a really brave man, pairs. Never more than two.
That way you can be quite successful, as for instance this sortie of mine shows: http://www.sas1946.rocks:8000/de/sortie/log/175/?tour=1
8 kills in total, Mc.202, 109F-4, 109G-2 each one of them, plus five 110E-2 - and it could have been more, if the last 110's gunner would not have cut off my right wing.
Spitfire is similar in terms of handling to the P-40, but it does everything slightly better, so you have to pay a slightly lower level of attention to the same things. Good thing about the spit is that you can turn with the 109s if need be.

Regarding Steam, all the things reported there appear to have been solved long time since.
You can't buy anything but Battle of Stalingrad and Battle of Moscow from Steam currently anyway, as you can only buy thing from Steam when they have been finished.
Nevertheless, you can always mix any Steam content with any il2sturmovik.com shop content and each of them have their sales, sometimes together, sometimes independently.
This for instance is how I started with IL-2 Great Battles:
I bought Battle of Stalingrad "Deluxe" (Steam didn't/doesn't call it "Premium") Edition from Steam 'cause when I decided to start playing BoS, there was no sales @il2sturmovik.com, but only on Steam.
Later I purchased Battle of Moscow Premium from il2sturmovik.com, and then later again I purchased anything else money can buy from il2sturmovik.com.
It all plays nicely together, and I don't have to start up Steam if I don't want to in order to play IL-2 Great Battles.
Heck, on reinstall I don't even need to install the Steam version of BoS, I can just use the installer from https://il2sturmovik.com/download/ and everything will be back in place (without Steam) once I enter my account credentials.

So Steam really isn't any bad thing about IL-2 Great Battles, it's just another distribution channel which, by the way, also brings money into the developer's pockets.

Cheers!
Mike

Good points, I totally agree! That's great that Steam resolved the DLC issue. I can appreciate that the Steam and website version can work in harmony, as opposed to CloD, which is another story. I like having the ability to get the Steam key from the IL2 site, so you really have both options while supporting the devs. The reason I don't like Steam is because my CloD disk was misleading about the requirements for Steam. (As in, no warning that it requires internet to install the game, and the disk doesn't really have the game on it.) It took me several months and endless troubleshooting to get CloD up and running due to the complexity of bypassing the Steam installer and fiddling with compatibility modes. Didn't help that I didn't have consistent internet at the time, which doesn't go over well for troubleshooting Steam... I just like having a stand-alone program because it makes it a bit easier to manage for me.

8 kills with the P-40 is impressive, even if they were AI. All the planes can be useful if used to their advantages, P-40's advantage isn't against other fighters as it seems. The P-40 does have a few over the other aircraft, even if it still seems overly underpowered. When you can get into a bomber formation, you can take out far more with the P-40 than the planes armed with a single cannon and machine gun.

Good discussion! We can all agree BOX is a great game.

BTW LuseKofte, I am also really looking forward to the A20! It was used by many countries, so it opens up a lot of new scenarios.

"It's totally foolproof, until you mess something up." -Captain Dawson My OP rig: CybertronPC Palladium custom desktop computer, GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz 6M Cache Skylake Quad-Core, RAM: 8.00 GB, Motherboard: Intel H110 Chipset, SSD: 240GB, HDD: 1TB, OS: Windows 10

Gaston

• Modder
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »

Yes, opens many scenarios, if having adapted maps !

Odin1one

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »

Hi. I'm about to get me a new rig with in a couple of month, in order to run the BOX and later upcoming upgrades and add-ons.
I have a steam account now and wonder?
Would it be a good idea to purchase the above advertised packages 50% off now, install and activate it on my new rig later when I have it in hand.
Also! My new rig should be suitable for running the BOX with Oculus Rift VR system as I have that in hand just waiting for this.
Best regards Odin1one.
BTW! Never leaving my old wife Il2-1946 now BAT, for this younger BOX one.. To much love, experience and fun to be left out. 

Captain Dawson

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 06:38:10 PM »

Hi. I'm about to get me a new rig with in a couple of month, in order to run the BOX and later upcoming upgrades and add-ons.
I have a steam account now and wonder?
Would it be a good idea to purchase the above advertised packages 50% off now, install and activate it on my new rig later when I have it in hand.
Also! My new rig should be suitable for running the BOX with Oculus Rift VR system as I have that in hand just waiting for this.
Best regards Odin1one.
BTW! Never leaving my old wife Il2-1946 now BAT, for this younger BOX one.. To much love, experience and fun to be left out.

Whether you buy from Steam or il2sturnmovik.com, you get your own personal account from which you can download the game. If you switch to another computer or break your game and need to start over, you can re-download as many times as necessary. If you know for sure you will be playing it in the future, I would say you might as well take advantage of the sale while it's still here! You don't have to download it right away, and it will always be there as long as you have your account credentials. Even if you install it first on your old machine, you can also install it on your new one as well when you get it.

(If you use on Steam, all your friends can see how many hours you play on your account. :o So I keep my flight sims off Steam except CloD  ;) )

Highly recommend buying from the IL2 website to fully support the devs and take advantage of the pre-order content as well:
https://il2sturmovik.com/store/battle-of-bodenplatte/

If you buy from IL-2, you can always get a free Steam key from them and just add the game to Steam if you want.

Good luck!
"It's totally foolproof, until you mess something up." -Captain Dawson My OP rig: CybertronPC Palladium custom desktop computer, GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz 6M Cache Skylake Quad-Core, RAM: 8.00 GB, Motherboard: Intel H110 Chipset, SSD: 240GB, HDD: 1TB, OS: Windows 10

Captain Dawson

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 06:43:53 PM »

Yes, opens many scenarios, if having adapted maps !

Eastern Crimea on Kuban Autumn map can work for North Africa... with a good imagination.  :)

Eastern mountainous portion of the map can pass for New Guinea coast if you ignore the plains north and west beyond the mountains...

Convincing enough for screenshots anyways.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 12:42:48 AM »

Even if you install it first on your old machine, you can also install it on your new one as well when you get it.
You can even install it on multiple PCs in parallel, you just must not play it on more than one machine at the same time.

If you use on Steam, all your friends can see how many hours you play on your account. :o
If you have such excessive concerns about privacy, why add friends in first place?
As you correctly noted, only the friends you've added to your account yourself can see your play time.
Don't add friends and the "issue" is gone.

If you buy from IL-2, you can always get a free Steam key from them and just add the game to Steam if you want.
No sir.
This option is only for early access and pre order programmes.
Only if your il2sturmovik.com order is one of these, you can turn the key into a Steam key once the game part is officially finalized and released.

Cheers!
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Blaubaer

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 02:05:51 AM »

https://il2sturmovik.com/ no longer accessible?

Edit:

Error codes:

Windows 10 (Firefox, Edge): INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND

Android (Samsung browser): ERR-CONNECTION_REFUSED

Regards, Michael

Atoka220

• Bomber
  • Modder
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 02:09:03 AM »

I can access it
There are 2 certain things in life: Death and CTDs

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 04:29:46 AM »

No issues here either.
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Blaubaer

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 06:20:18 AM »

Possibly a problem with the ISP (Unitymedia).  It works with GSM.

Regards, Michael

Odin1one

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 11:12:40 AM »

Hi!
Well! I did by it all from Il2Sturmovik.com yesterday. BOS-PE, BOM-PE, EA-BOK-PE, PO-BO Bodenplate -PE, Yak-1b-CP, Ju52/3m-CP and 2 campaigns
Tot: $ 258.62.  Think I did a good deal.
And due to the Pre order BO Bodenplate I would get the free key from Steam I believe.
I have tried BOS/BOM with VR OCR several time! My much younger son of my brother, runs it on his most powerful rig. That is an amazing experience.
A must have for me.  So I will be out there sooner or later with you other BOX pilots. Until then Il be reading al about it on forums for advise, recommendations and not to do stuff. Lot to learn I believe. And for sure flying my own made missions and campaigns for Il2- BAT.
Best to you all!
Odin1one.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 29 queries.