Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I feel blessed with my daily ride to the office?  (Read 8289 times)

Shakaali

• Missioneer
Re: Should I feel blessed with my daily ride to the office?
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 04:46:12 PM »

Another keen biker here  :)

I keep riding my old faithful Nishiki 352 throughout the year. During winter it is equipped with Schwalbe studded tyres.

Unfortunately my workplace is located in another town 60 km from my home (too much) and I work at home twice a week, but at least I get the chance to ride my bike to railway station and back three times a week. It's only 4 km one-way - but that is better than no biking at all - I guess I'm just too lazy to ride my bike just for fun in winter.

There is a risk in keeping a bike in a railway station. I keep it locked and chained and it has never been stolen - but once an unknown dishonest person stole the handlebar grips from my bike in broad daylight  o_O

"A truth ceases to be true when more than one person believes in it." -Oscar Wilde

David Prosser

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 08:32:25 PM »

Certainly a lot more cycling than I do. Last time was in Korea in October 2016 on a designer touring bicycle. After a couple of KMs, I got used to the gears. Certainly a big change from 1982, and 10 speed bikes that seemed to have a puncture every five minutes.

SAS~Ghost129er

• SAS Team
  • SAS Certified Lurk
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 10:24:18 PM »

Other than other things I am yet to touch, snow is one of the many I've been dying to touch and see in person. I wanna make snowballs and throw them at PvF. :P :))
Current activity: Giving his E46 330ci some TLC.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 03:30:06 AM »

I got a very similar bike, its a Kellys Axis with Continental Travel Contact tires. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus are one of the most popular puncture resistant tires, a very good choice.
The 29er mtb I got is a GT Karakoram rebuilt with Deore XT level components and a Marzocchi Bomber front fork.
Nice bikes VP :)
I chose the Schwalbe tyres after having suffered 2 punctures within one week.
The original tyres (Schwalbe too, but cheap ones) were okay for summer, but since road salt is forbidden for private use here, people use grit instead, and these chrushed gravels ruin your tyres within seconds if they don't have a sufficient protection.

After heavy snowfall I suggest bikers do not use bikes
Fully agree. Lucky me we don't have heavy snow fall here usually, it happens once every 5 years or so.

A 1991 Western German touring Bike. Sachs 3-Gear, faster than
a race bike, if you had the muscles!!!
I've had something similar in the early 80s. We've been proud of the 3-shift gear back then!
Later I've had a Peugeot bike with 5-shift derailleur gear, the first (and only) bike with aluminium frame in my youth. The bike was stolen after less than one year.
I've resorted to the cheaper steel frames then, with 18 and later 21 shift gears, but it's been cheap bikes all over.

Would you let us know where this is
The images a geo-tagged. If you download the original full size images, they come with the full set of EXIF data.
But let's make your life a tad easier: http://www.mypicsmap.com/photos/store_bror

Other than other things I am yet to touch, snow is one of the many I've been dying to touch and see in person
...but what you saw here so far isn't snow. It's merely a cheap excuse of snow, a tiny white topping of frozen grounds.
Talk about snow again when Skylla is back from skiing ;)

Two more pictures taken today...

Cheers!
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Alfie Noakes

• Art Director
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 05:48:15 AM »

Wow....I'm so envious of your commute  :P
Me and Mrs Noakes are keen cyclists, and have been for decades  :D
My present off roader is a Orange P7 hardtail
However, I've had dozens of 'bikes over the years....here's a few of the better ones....

My commuting bike

A re-pack replica....the Granddaddy of all mountain bikes  :D

Cranbourne Chase

A pleasant trundle over Dartmoor

As we both get older (57 & 58  o_O) we spend more time on this...pottering about the bridleways and back roads of Dorset , Wiltshire & Somerset

We also follow the racing on the television......
I'm more of a Northern Classics fan......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris%E2%80%93Roubaix
The Strada Bianche is also stunning.......http://www.strade-bianche.it/en/

Mrs Noakes is more of a Grand Tour person, of the French, Italian and the Spanish, she likes the Spanish best.....

We find it very relaxing after a day's hard work to sit in front of a HD television, wine glass in hand ,watching the most GORGEOUS scenery scrolling past at 45 kph......the cycling's not bad either...... :))

Allez allez

Cheers

Alfie
Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 08:45:14 AM »

Nice bikes Alfie, you got a good taste.

The snow situation here in Hungary is not very good, in the 80's knee deep snow was common but by now we only get ~4-5 cm and it quickly melts. Hence one can use a bicycle the whole year.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 02:13:03 AM »

A few more impressions from today's bicycle ride to the office at -11°C, not quite winter wonderland, but as close as it gets in northern germany. Full size available on click.

Cheers!
Mike'

sniperton

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 04:51:25 AM »

Beautiful scenery, I really envy you. Unfortunately, I live in walking distance to my office, in the inner city of Budapest, so biking is not an attractive option for me. Instead, we're touring some 500 to 1000 km each year. Here are our bikes after the Murradweg down from the Alps. Mine (to the left) is a sort of oldtimer, a Csepel Marathón from the late 1980s, but with several parts replaced due to wear-off. If you're up to develop this thread into a 'Beautiful Sceneries Only Seen while Biking or Trekking' contest, I'd gladly contribute.  :D

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 05:37:30 AM »

Nice bike sniperton, a flashback from the 80s, much appreciated :D

If you're up to develop this thread into a 'Beautiful Sceneries Only Seen while Biking or Trekking' contest, I'd gladly contribute.  :D
I've had no specific plans with it but hey yes, why not?
Sounds like I should take my DSR with me next time hehe 8)

Cheers!
Mike

sniperton

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 07:56:40 AM »

a flashback from the 80s

FYI we call it the Millennium Falcon.  8)

Atoka220

• Bomber
  • Modder
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »

Yep, you should feel blessed.
I cycle roughly 3,5km-s to school, and it takes 20 mins thanks to fookin traffic lights

All I see is asphalt and concrete. Also we bought a new bike, but It's harder to cycle than the previous one hehh.

But when I see a car accident or a traffic jam, I'm thankful to have a bike.
When summer and good weather comes, I'm gonna move out, and get used to the new bike. Haven't been speeding in a long time cause I got lazy :P

2 years ago I could overtake a motorbike, but now... Eh

Good to see others using bycicle as their primary 'vehicle'

Ps: Rickster, I can tell you that snow is freakin awesome. Especially fresh dust snow. I just love drifting and doing wheelslips in it. Also when you're wearing some really warm clothes and it's down to -20°C, you feel safe and immortal ;D
On the downside it's crappy when it bombs your eye constantly on the bike.
There are 2 certain things in life: Death and CTDs

Unca-Fester

• Graduate of the Dirk Gently School of mucking about.
  • Modder
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 01:28:21 PM »

Ah  A bike thread.  Cool

I've been a bike mechanic/sales person for over 22 years.   I've had a lot of different bikes. One thing I do miss about our present residence area is that we have little to no bike-lanes or dedicated paths for bikes.  I have to share the narrow shouldered road with 50mph+ traffic if I want to commute into town.  And then there's also this bridge..

My present bikes are..

1969 Honda C102 with a 125 cc XingLi engine replacing the tired, old 50cc OHV Honda engine. I presently ride this bike more than my pedal bikes because of the traffic.

Late 70's Austra-Daimler Vent Noir touring bike, Reynolds 531 full frame with newer Suntour 18 speed touring gearing, 700X28c wheels and clincher tires.  Nice long distance bike, relatively flexible fork and relaxed frame angles, low bottom bracket means you have to watch pedaling through corners.

I like to tinker and made this engine assisted bike out of a 1980 Nishiki CitiSport commuter, an old 30 cc weedeater, 26X2.0 wheels and tires some junkyard bits and other pieces bolted and fitted.   Does about 22 mph and gets about 190 mpg. It's legal for road use in Oregon because of an IC powered bicycle engine size restriction of 35 cc and <25 mph.

And a few years back I was riding this hand built recumbent.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.