Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Graphics card update  (Read 6751 times)

Blaubaer

Graphics card update
« on: February 07, 2018, 02:47:23 AM »

My current hardware:

Betriebssystem
   Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
   Intel Core i5 4590 @ 3.30GHz   32 °C
   Haswell 22nm Technologie
RAM
   8,00GB Dual Kanal DDR3 @ 799MHz (10-10-10-30)
Motherboard
   MSI Z97 PC Mate(MS-7850) (SOCKET 0)   33 °C
Grafik
   L227W (1680x1050@60Hz)
   2047 MBNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (ASUStek Computer Inc)   36 °C
Speicher
   465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD)   32 °C
Optische Laufwerke
   HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0
Audio
   Realtek High Definition Audio

In connection with BoX I am thinking about a more powerful graphics card. It should be oriented to the demands of the game. Anybody got a proposition?

Best regards, Michael

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: Graphics card update
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 02:51:57 AM »

Don't.

Say thanks to the crypto currency miners.
There's no graphics card available on this planet for a halfway reasonable price that will beat yours.
Stick to it until the bitcoin bubble bursts, then stick to it for another 3 months to let prices settle.
This won't be until the next turn of the year I'm afraid, and there's a good chance that it will be much later.

Cheers!
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Blaubaer

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 02:59:31 AM »

Do I have a golden graphics card with diamonds on it? Bitcoins are losing value dramatically. Maybe that'll help me in the medium term. Or will other crypto currencies be created in the same way?

Regards, Michael

SAS~Ghost129er

• SAS Team
  • SAS Certified Lurk
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 03:07:03 AM »

Don't.

Say thanks to the crypto currency miners.
~snip~

Thank you? More like F*** Y**.

I'm suck on a GTS 450 and can't seem to find a decent, reasonable price upgrade. To me it's just better to get a new rig but, price wise, things are stupidly high, or not available. Like why. 40% of the bitcoin Market is owned by only 1,000 people approximately IIRC from an article I read, like, it's 1,000 people screwing over SO many people world wide...

Don't take it from a gamers point of view, think of all the people who use rendering, 3D modelling, CAD, other commercial work. They've probably been rogered by the prices and unavailability too... How are THEY getting affected too..? Me being bombarded with CAD and rendering work, I'm feeling the struggle of this 450 and I don't think she'll survive too long, let alone help me finish work more efficiently...

This whole BitCoin thing really is sort of a blessing to some, and a curse to others.

Edit: AMD plz help (I actually am putting faith into some AMD products I've been seeing lately).
Current activity: Giving his E46 330ci some TLC.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 03:07:04 AM »

Do I have a gold graphics card with diamonds on it?
No.
Miners won't care for your card, it consumes too much power for the computing performance.
For a gamer it's quite fine though, and the "better" cards are all "Miner compatible" and therefore in short supply.

Bitcoins are losing value dramatically. Maybe that'll help me in the medium term.
Maybe yes, maybe no.
As long as a new graphics card pays itself from mined crypto currencies within a year, the hype won't stop.
And we're far away from that "break even" point, even taking europe's or germany's high electricity prices into account.
For instance in germany the bitcoin price would have to lose another 3/4 of it's current level until mining with GPUs becomes pointless.
Not to mention other countries. For the chinese it probably would even make sense to proceed when the bitcoin goes down by 99%.
And even then, there are still...

will other crypto currencies be created in the same way?
...just these. Exactly.
They do exist already.
"Clever" miners dedicate a certain amount of their calculating power to "startup" crypto currency projects.
If these new ones (and there are dozens, if not hundreds of them) never turn big, the miners just lose some money from their electricity bill.
If just one of them grows big though, they become millionaires just like those who have mined bitcoins in the first year of it's existence.
And experience has taught us that you never become a rich man just by following the crowd, doing what everyone else does.

Just to really answer your question, the GPU of choice in order to be able to run the game on your current hardware and (I think this would be the next recommended upgrade) on another monitor like WQHD or maybe even 4K, would be the Nvidia 1070Ti.

That card entered the market at a price of about EUR 450.
Under normal conditions, it would to be expected that the card would be about EUR 100 cheaper nowadays, ~ EUR 350.
Actually the card scores prices of EUR 650 and above, tendency: More and more each and every day. If it's available at all, which is not the case. Try yourself. 99% of dealers don't have it on stock and can't tell you when they get one again, regardless what they claim to have on their internet store site.

If you look down (Nvidia 1070, 1060, 1050Ti), things don't get much better and you won't see that much of a performance increase, plus the new card would suck again once you grab a bigger monitor.
If you look up (Nvidia 1080, 1080Ti), things become crazy and 4-digit-prices are what dealers call who still have those cards on stock.

Cheers!
Mike

@Edit:
AMD plz help (I actually am putting faith into some AMD products I've been seeing lately).
Sorry to say but for AMD cards the situation is just worse.
Their "crypto vs. gaming" score is way more extreme than any Nvidia card ever was, this is why certain AMD cards' prices went through the roof way before the big hype on crypto mining even started.
Nvidia cards only became suitable when the bitcoin bubble started to expand in november.

SAS~Ghost129er

• SAS Team
  • SAS Certified Lurk
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 03:15:38 AM »

RIP. Looks like a good time for me to focus on the real world than gaming it seems. Good timing too. :-X

Blaubaer

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 03:16:08 AM »

Learned some things again. Thanks, Mike.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 03:22:54 AM »

What you still can do (if you're quick) is to buy a whole new gaming PC system, readily equipped with a good graphics card.
The reason is that bigger OEMs get their cards straight from Nvidia, and Nvidia still sells them at a more or less reasonable rate (don't ask me for how long this will last).
That's also why the business sector doesn't suffer as much from the crypto hype as we gamers do (wink Ricky), because nearly no company would build the PCs on their own, they buy complete systems.
It's just that us standard users can't get their cards directly from Nvidia, we have to buy them from resellers, and it's the resellers who make big money from the current market situation.

Cheers!
Mike

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 01:32:07 AM »

Bitcoins are losing value dramatically.
They did.
On tuesday, the bitcoin fell down to about 6000 Dollar, which was the lowest value since november last year (it maxed out in december at nearly 20.000 Dollar).
However, after having received good news about regulatory intentions with regard to crypto currency, in the past 24 hours bitcoin gained 2500 dollar again, scoring about 8500 dollars right now.
It's not over and it probably won't for a forseeable time.

Cheers!
Mike

Stainless

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 02:22:33 AM »

I managed to pick up a 8GB Radion Rx480 for £225, so there are some sensible graphics cards out there.

It's sat in it's box on the floor as I only had to use it to look at a single AMD feature. Once I had looked at that, it went back in the box in case I need it again.

In my dev machine I have a 16 Gig nVidia 1060, which was the best I could get the day I had to build it. I think that was about £450.

I am seriously thinking about getting a GTX 1080 Ti at £659 ..... yes more than I paid for my first PC just for a graphics card.  :-[

But compared to some cards, I feel a bit of a miser. I mean why wouldn't you spend £6000 on a Tesla P100  ? It's so CHEAP  o_O

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 02:44:02 AM »

I managed to pick up a 8GB Radion Rx480 for £225, so there are some sensible graphics cards out there.
Yes, there are 480 cards available in germany in homeopathic numbers for less than EUR 300 as well - on ebay, as long as Saturn Retailer sells them at that price.
Private offers are well above EUR 400, because they get the price.
580 cards aren't available for less than 400 at all.
Each of them should be in the 200 EUR range though, if there wasn't that crypto hype.

Now the 480 would outperform a GTX 660, however not all that much and for 1946 Nvidia cards proved to perform better, so whether anyone would get lucky with a half-outdated card like an RX 480 in the long run is questionable to me.

Cheers!
Mike

SAS~Ghost129er

• SAS Team
  • SAS Certified Lurk
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 08:10:06 AM »

Maybe useful for anyone to watch and see for themselves..?

Also now RAM has become so expensive. GG.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 26 queries.