Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possibly A Bug With The Sopwith Camel Throttle?  (Read 1984 times)

LD60

Possibly A Bug With The Sopwith Camel Throttle?
« on: December 28, 2017, 02:03:13 PM »

I'm running a clean install of BAT expanded up to and including Pathfinder.

Fired up the DOF Mod and jumped into the Sopwith Camel through QMB with the WW1 Channel40 Map.

Not sure if it's just a glitch with my game but can anyone else affirm the Camel's throttle is stuck at 100% right from the word go and can't be adjusted via joystick (X52) throttle or by using mapped KB settings?

The throttle setting HUD indicates the throttle is being adjusted but there's no change in the airspeed or engine pitch.

Tried both a scramble start and a mid-air start but no change.

Also the same issue when I loaded the WW1 Italy map and the WW1 Sommes map

Oh, I guess I should also add that the only 2 jsgme mods activated are the DOF visual Mod and the DOF Stabs4all Mod.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
Re: Possibly A Bug With The Sopwith Camel Throttle?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 02:06:51 PM »

How about deactivating Stabs4all in JSGME ?

I think even DOF .... that function is built in main system and enable-able in conf.ini about BAT 3.3 .
Isn't it ?

KevinHoggard

• Missioneer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 02:28:33 PM »

The Camel is like the DR1 and the Eindecker.... they use a blip switch, in DOF the blip switch is the magnetos
4th Generation Intel

Alfie Noakes

• Art Director
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 02:51:49 PM »

can anyone else affirm the Camel's throttle is stuck at 100% right from the word go 

Yes......welcome to the world of rotary engines  o_O :D

Cheers

Alfie

PS  https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=54750.0

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds

LD60

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 04:14:38 PM »

Well; gosh, golly geez. That's exactly the reason I had no throttle control!
I also just learned not to inadvertently flip the Mag setting to 0 even for a split second because the engine dies and won't restart in flight.

In any case, thank you muchly for your help peeps. Problem solved.

Yes......welcome to the world of rotary engines  o_O :D

Cheers

Alfie

Well it certainly explains why I got so many speeding tickets in the old Rotary Engine Mazda I owned.
I wasn't flipping the Magneto settings.
And there I was constantly telling the Police the reason I was speeding was because my accelerator appeared to be on the fritz.  ;)

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 02:18:15 AM »

Well it certainly explains why I got so many speeding tickets in the old Rotary Engine Mazda I owned.

It might be engineer's nitpicking but you sure are aware that the Wankel engine in your Mazda is not at all the same as a "rotary engine" on these old airplanes.

That or you have a terribly customized car.

Alfie Noakes

• Art Director
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 10:17:41 AM »

That's a Bug with a radial engine  o_O
This is what you want.......

I'm a huge fan of old and weird motorcycles and would love a shot on a Megola  ;)

Cheers

Alfie
Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds

Unca-Fester

• Graduate of the Dirk Gently School of mucking about.
  • Modder
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 03:11:37 PM »

Yup  I know this is solved but I thought I'd post up a little more FYI:

Rotaries:  Most of the early war types like the Gnome Omega, Lambda and early Monosoupape 100 were strictly controlled by switching the ignition on and off.  But there were exceptions.

The early 7 cylinder LeRhone 7C, 60 hp was made with the monobloc throttling body w/fuel metering,  it had two levers on it's quadrant in the cockpit, one to control air volume and one to control the fuel mixture.  They were a bit fussy, as opening the air volume control also needed you to finesse the mixture carefully richer so as to not cause a lean fuel intake back firing and or popping, and possible flame out.   Or too rich and the fuel mix is too much and causes a stumble and lot of misfiring.

It took a bit of experience and a good ear to run a Lerhone.  The LeRhone company used their 'carburetor', for lack of a better term, for most of their common rotaries like the 9C 80 h.p. and 9J 110 h.p. engines.  They could be reliably throttled to a little below half throttle but trying to reduce the throttle further would mess with the distribution of castor oil dribbled into the intake pipe.  About 600~700 rpm was considered 'tickover' and was sufficient to taxi most WWI scouts with.

The Clergets were entirely different and had a more modern linked air and fuel volume carburetor and fine metering adjustments for altitude.  The Clerget 110 through 130 were used on a few different Sopwith scouts including the Strutter, Triplane and early Camel, and was considered a pretty decent engine, and was more easily throttled than the LeRhone.  The Bentley BR1 was a copy of the Clerget 130 with better breathing and cam timing.  It was nominally about 160 h.p., both types could be throttle down to about 35%, about 400~500 RPM.

There's a few differing opinions about the Gnome copied Oberusals, whether their having a primitive throttle or just couping it with ignition.  The LeRhone copied Ur.II was throttled and supposedly was better than the LeRhone.  Seimen Halske counter rotating engines were able to idle fairly slow.  Of course Germany's problem was sourcing Castor oil, and was a big issue during the later part of 1918 for their rotaries.  There were bounties for undamaged Entente rotary engines and boxes and barrels of Castor oil.

Not to make this a mini novella edition,  but..    You know Greybeard is a member here, and should anyone need some detailed assistance with WWI engine facts and figures, he's the best.

Samurai999

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 02:21:56 PM »

Excuse me! But switching magneto, gives only two modes of engine operation. One is slightly less than half the gas and the other is full again. But it's still impossible to fly normally!

KevinHoggard

• Missioneer
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 03:00:22 PM »

Why is it impossible? I don't understand.

4th Generation Intel

Unca-Fester

• Graduate of the Dirk Gently School of mucking about.
  • Modder
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 07:31:13 PM »

It's kind of a shame you cannot program a .xml to emulate the blip switch on a rotary and program one of your unused buttons on your joystick to act as the blip switch.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 25 queries.