Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: And here I was thinking Rise of Flight had been abandoned.  (Read 1366 times)

Unca-Fester

• Graduate of the Dirk Gently School of mucking about.
  • Modder
And here I was thinking Rise of Flight had been abandoned.
« on: December 28, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »

OK, a recent announcement about  IL2 Stormovik  but not the version that's being modded here?

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: And here I was thinking Rise of Flight had been abandoned.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 09:43:19 AM »

"IL-2 Great Battles Series" (which is Battle of Stalingrad and Battle of Moscow so far, plus Battle of Kuban Early Access plus Battle of Bodenplatte Pre-Order) cannot be modded like IL-2 1946 can.
Probably it never will.
So far, you can make your own skins and own missions. With a lot of experience you can make scripted campaigns. That's it.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Unca-Fester

• Graduate of the Dirk Gently School of mucking about.
  • Modder
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 10:33:23 AM »

Yeah it's what I figured, it's nice to see that the excellent 3D models of studio 777 are getting a reboot, I just hope they don't continue with the damn ultra-shine glossiness of RoF.   Real WWI planes aged and oxidized rapidly.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 10:41:12 AM »

So far they're all glossy, except for some custom skins.
No weathering like in CloD yet, unfortunately.

Cheers!
Mike

LuseKofte

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 02:42:49 AM »

777 have done a great job, and really delivered  some great planes, in many ways very similar as old IL 2 , except for the number of different planes. I grew a bit tired of it tho. Tend to fly less and less, As Mike here say, it is very little you can do to contribute. The ME is (or was when I tried it) a boring not quite self-explanatory to put it mildly . It is not difficult per se to do a singlemission, but as I understand it quite time consuming to get right for a server.
If you love WW2 simulation and got the time , it is foolish to not have it, if you can fly in old IL 2 , you will hav eno problem doing it in BOX series. It will also contain a WW1 series, based on old ROF models converted into this new game engine, it will be called Flying Circus. Like Bodenplatte it will come without any bombers and to me render itself very uninteresting by that choice

sixstrings

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 08:32:12 PM »

I'll just stick with IL-2 '46 and that is it. Still into CFS3 and it's expansions and WOFF-UE . Love VP modpack and BAT and think they are great and hard to beat. Tons of missions to explore and much to enjoy. Nothing new even comes close to these. There is a new sim coming out that is put together by the same team that brought us WOFF and it's called WOTR (Wings Over The Reich) due out this year sometime. If WOFF is any indication it will be great but most likely will not be easy to modify like CFS3 that it's based off of.Still, IL-2 '46 has much more life to it and is getting better all the time by a great bunch of people who do this for free. Thanks modders !! Regards,Scott

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 11:38:31 PM »

Hi Scott,

I think none of these really compare to each other.
IL-2 1946 will be the only moddable combat flight simulation to this extent for some time to come, so it will stay alive for much longer than one would think it would considering it's age, the technology behind etc.
IL-2 Great Battles is lightyears ahead technology-wise to any of the games you've listed. You have to play it yourself to see.
Old 1946 farts have to relearn everything from scratch because the immersion and simulation depth is so much more advanced than we used to know it. And that's actually the fun part of it. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about ;)
CFS3 and it's WOFF-UE incarnation are great, they look much better than 1946 does, yet like CloD or e.g. Histomod (which has it's fans not without reason) it will always remain niche product.
WOW looks nearly as great as IL-2 Great Battles does and ships with a planeset that's not too far from IL-2 1946 WW2-wise, and goes far beyond that in other eras, yet it's a pure arcade game. Heck, even the "simulation" mode is arcade compared to any of these.
DCS also looks great, but WW2 is somewhat limited, the development is questionable and the value for money is even worse than it is for the already relatively expensive IL-2 Great Battles series.

To summarize it, IL-2 Great Battles has the best looking graphics of all of these, it's reasonably playable on mediocre hardware, has a very well balanced planeset in all modules, is being very actively developed and has a great future ahead.
If it would have a "free to play" base module like Rise of Flight had, and if it would be moddable to some extent, IL-2 1946, CFS3, WOFF, WOTR, CloD, Histomod etc. would be dead and abandoned immediately.

Cheers!
Mike

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 07:35:13 AM »

Looking at that video I don´t see much snow on the ground.
Wasn´t "Operation Bodenplatte"  launched on 1 January 1945 in the winter time?
They said the weather was pretty bad during the days before and after. From the pictures I have seen there was snow on the fields.

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.