Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: BoX Graphic settings  (Read 9862 times)

Blaubaer

BoX Graphic settings
« on: December 23, 2017, 04:31:17 PM »

The BoX ingame graphic settings are certainly explained somewhere. (The manual isn't up to date.) Can someone give me a corresponding link?

The BoX profile in the NVIDIA settings does not specify the global settings. People who have posted their settings in the www mention different ones. - So, what makes sense and matches the ingame settings?

Regards, Michael

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: BoX Graphic settings
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 03:14:02 AM »

As a rule of thumbs and strictly in contrast to IL-2 1946, don't mess around with graphics settings in Nvidia Control Panel for BoX when there's a corresponding ingame setting available.

These are my settings, note that I have a G-Sync WQHD (2560x1440) monitor which makes a couple of them special, most users with standard FullHD displays will either want to enable V-Sync in BoX or use "Fast" V-Sync in Nvidia Control panel if available instead.

Nvidia Control Panel:

BoX:

With these setting I get quite stable 60+ FPS across the whole game, with drops down to ~45 in certain (not closer specified) circumstances.
With FullHD resolution (I've tried to get comparative results) this gives me 80+ FPS all over the place.
CPU: i5-2500K GPU: Nvidia GTX 970

If you suffer FPS issues, you will want to try lowering the distant texture setting first as this has a big impact on FPS while giving little visual difference only.
Whether or not you want to use SSAO and/or HDR is more of a perceptive kind of question, the FPS impact isn't all that great.
Lowering AA to 2x will give higher frame rates, but will look much more ugly.

Explaining each and every option available in Nvidia Control Panel and/or BoX will take a couple of hours.
If you want to know something specific, please tell.

Cheers!
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Blaubaer

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 03:52:48 AM »

Thanks for your clarifications.

don't mess around with graphics settings in Nvidia Control Panel for BoX when there's a corresponding ingame setting available.
Why does NVIDIA offer a profile that maintains all global settings?

No vsync "fast" option available here. So I should enable vsync ingame?

What are the meanings/effects of "Sharpen" respectively "Dynamic resolution factor"?

If you suffer FPS issues, you will want to try lowering the distant texture setting first as this has a big impact on FPS while giving little visual difference only.
Is "Landscape filter" also included here?

Merry X-mas, Michael

LuseKofte

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 03:59:18 AM »

In general I want to add, try higher settings than you normally would do in other games. BOX series run easier than all of them. Mirror have no FPS hit on my old rig , so do not hold back on the settings, rather tweak them back than up. You spot airplanes faster with better resolution, oposit to COD better resolution and the higher quality you get the easier you spot ground and airtargets

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 07:49:08 AM »

Why does NVIDIA offer a profile that maintains all global settings?
You mean "why is there a Global Settings tab in Nvidia Control Panel?" or "why can I set options in Nvidia Control Panel if they're available and should only be touched ingame?".
If it's the first: Because you might have personal preferences applying to all games you play.
If it's the second: Because Nvidia cannot know which features are supported by a game's engine and which are not. This list is constantly changing. BoX didn't support all these settings in the beginning either.

No vsync "fast" option available here. So I should enable vsync ingame?
"Fast Sync" is available on Maxwell/Pascal (900 and 1000 series) graphics cards only.
All others will want to enable VSync in BoX, except for the odd occasion that you have G-Sync like me.

What are the meanings/effects of "Sharpen" respectively "Dynamic resolution factor"?
"Sharpen" is a post-processing filter that came with BoX Version 2.009.
What it does is this: It makes things look sharper / more crisp. Surprise, surprise!
Since it's a post-processing filter, it's not applied to specific objects, but to the finally rendered image as a whole.
The results of post-processing filters usually aren't as appreciable as normal (object/scene based) filters are.
To me, with "Sharpen" enabled the image looks somewhat artificial, others might think different.
The main audience for that "Sharpen" setting are VR users, where the image easily looks blurred otherwise (due to the comparative low image resolution).

"Dynamic resolution factor" is used to adjust the render resolution and the number of particles "on the fly" in order to try to keep the set "Target FPS" all the time.
If for instance you set a value of "0.5" here, the image will be rendered with up to half of your originally set screen resolution only if the FPS is too low.
This, as the name suggests, will be adjusted dynamically during gameplay.
If you set this value to "1.0" like in my settings, you effectively turn off this feature and the image will always be rendered at the full resolution as configured.

Is "Landscape filter" also included here?
"Landscape filter" enables Anisotropic filtering for landscape textures.
The setting was introduced with BoX 2.010, prior to that you had to use Anisotropic Filter settings in Nvidia Control Panel.
The performance impact is negligible on any BoX capable graphics card (GTX 750 or better that is).
If you turn off this feature, you will see noticeable landscape texture shimmering at medium distance.
"Blurred" or "Sharp" chooses the filter bias, the difference is hardly noticeable (to me).

Best regards - Mike

Blaubaer

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »

My current problem: The game freezes every now and then after finishing a mission. No more keyboard or mouse input possible. Error message:

D3D_ERROR

DXRenderer11::end Frame(::)
DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED
(0x887a0005)

By the way: the sound is not stopped.

The Internet tells me it could be related to DirectX. Do I use DX?
My graphics card: Nvidia GTX 660, 2 GB, current Nvidia driver (388.71)
Headtracker: Opentrack 2.3.9
Win 10/64

Should I adjust my settings (game, graphics card)? If so, how?

Regards, Michael

Postscript: Thank you Deepl (https://www.deepl.com/translator) for the translation help.

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 02:52:32 PM »

Is your problem that you cannot end the mission with the ESC key? If so you have a key (swich) active, sending commands that blocks every other keypress you´re using! Check your swiches are in neutral or ALT+TAB to desktop and start notepad, there you´ll get the command thats being sent, ie a letter, number or someting else that´s repeating! Click the swich to neutral and it´ll stop. (Hope this helps cause I´ve been ther and done that!)
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 12:42:21 AM »

Your system meets the minimum system requirements, so the game should run fine with it.
Yes, you are using DirectX. BoX is DirectX 11.
The GTX660 uses a Kepler GPU core (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_600_series#GeForce_600_(6xx)_series - all "GK" models use Kepler Chipset) which supports DirectX11 natively.

The error message "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED" means that the Nvidia Kernel driver crashed and had to be reloaded.
From a system's point of view this is similar to a removal and reinsertion of the graphics card. No wonder your game stops when there's nothing to render it on anymore ;)

Possible solutions, in that order:
  • If your graphics card is overclocked, turn it back to default clock rates.
    Some graphics card manufacturers ship additional tools with their cards where you can adjust clock rates.
    That's fine if the card isn't stressed much, but since your card barely meets the minimum requirements for BoX, it's almost certainly at 100% all the time when the game runs, therefore it might become unstable if you overclock it.
  • Clean the GPU fan/cooler.
  • Tone down your Nvidia Control Panel settings like shown in post #2.
  • Disable SSAO in BoX.
  • Do a clean reinstall of Nvidia's latest 388.71 WHQL driver.
  • If the clean reinstall of 388.71 drivers still doesn't help, do a clean reinstall of Nvidia's old 368.81 WHQL drivers instead.

Cheers!
Mike

Blaubaer

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »

I keep having sudden unreliable reproducible FPS losses, so I can't keep flying. So I'm still looking for a better graphics setting. I have a few more questions:
- Antialiasing - Transparency = Off for graphics cards like mine?
- Anisotropic sample optimization: on/off?
- Trilinear Optimization = on/off?

Regards, Michael

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 10:12:22 PM »

Your answers are here: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,57904.msg639014.html#msg639014

In particular: Lower the "Shadows" setting in IL-2 Great Battles.
If that still doesn't help: Switch off SSAO.
If that still doesn't help: Switch off HDR.
If that still doesn't help: Lower the "Antialiasing" setting in IL-2 Great Battles.

Antialiasing - Transparency (in Nvidia Control Panel) seems to have no effect at all.
Anisotropic sample optimization: Turn it on.
Trilinear Optimization: Turn it off.

In general, try to use as little Nvidia Control Panel settings as possible. Try to leave the main things up to the game.
You might want to show us all your Nvidia Control Panel and IL-2 Great Battles settings.
I've showed mine a couple of times now, but they don't compare as our cards and our monitor systems don't compare.

Cheers!
Mike

Blaubaer

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 08:59:48 AM »

Well, I think I've found the solution to my graphic problems: I have to set "Distant Landscape Details" (BoX graphic setting) to x2 at most (because my graphics card has just 2.0 GByte GDDR5-VRAM). So I can enjoy 60 FPS in every (?) situation.

My current hardware configuration:
Code: [Select]
My Hardware:

MB = MSI Z97 PC Mate(MS-7850) (SOCKET 0)
CPU = Intel Core i5 4590 @ 3.30GHz
GPU = 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Memory = 8GB Dual Kanal DDR3 @ 799MHz
Audio = PCI 5.1 Sound Card @ Headphone Amplifier (ASUS Xonar DG)
Display = 1680x1050 @ 60Hz (LG L227W), DVI
HDD = 465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SSD)

My IL-2 Great Battles Settings:

General Setting = Ultra
Full screen = On (1680x1050)
Enable VR HMD = Off
Multi GPU Support = Off
VSync = On
SSAO = Off
HDR = On
Sharpen = On
Shadows Quality = Medium
Mirrors = Medium
Distant landscape detail = x2
Landscape filter = Sharp
Grass quality = Distant
(Target FPS = 60)
Dynamic resolution factor = 0,8
Antialiasing = 4
Gamma correction = 1

My Nvidia Control Panel Settings (Driver v390.77):

Anisotropic filtering = Application-controlled
Antialiasing - FXAA = Off
Antialiasing - Setting = Application-controlled
Antialiasing - Gamma correction = On
Antialiasing - Mode = Application-controlled
Antialiasing - Transparency = Off
CUDA - GPUs = All
Triple buffering = Off
Power management mode = Prefer Maximum Performance
Optimize for compute performance = Off
Maximum pre-rendered frames = Use the 3D application setting
Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA) = Off
OpenGL-rendering GPU = Geforce GTX 660
Shadercache = On
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization = On
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias = Clamp
Texture filtering - Quality = Quality
Texture filtering - Trilinear Optimization = On
Threaded optimization = Auto
Vertical sync = Use the 3D application setting
Pre-rendered VR-Frames = 1

Regards, Michael

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 09:39:04 AM »

Remote Landscape Details
Distant Landscape Details.
Well, that eases off the Memory Load of your 2GB graphics card, but of course the visual impact is quite noticeable, especially at higher altitudes.

Cheers!
Mike
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 25 queries.