Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Coral Sea & Solomon Sea including Rabaul  (Read 40582 times)

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus
Coral Sea & Solomon Sea including Rabaul
« on: December 03, 2017, 12:49:09 PM »

Introducing a map of the Solomon Sea and Northernmost Coral Sea, including Eastern New Britain (Rabaul), Southern New Ireland,
Rennell Island and part of the Louisiades Archipelago.

UPDATE - 25.03.20 - Coral Sea - Solomon Sea December 1943; Operation Cartwheel

NEW UPDATE - 29.05.20 27.06.20 15.02.21 - Coral Sea - Solomon Sea - Aug 1942 to March 1944; a series of six maps depicting the balance of power in the Solomon Islands from August 1942 to March 1944

Presenting a significant upgrade to the previous version of the map. Including, extensive re-texturing, improved towns, sea ports, villages and airfields to represent the allied progress in the Solomons Campaign - August 1942 to February 1943 "Operation Watchtower", the Invasion of Guadalcanal and Tulagi - February 1943 to September 1943 "Operation Toenails", the taking of Rennell Island, New Georgia and Vella La Vella - November 1943 to January 1944 "Operation Cherryblossom", the Invasion of Bougainville - February 1944 to March 1944 "Operation C", the proposed consolidation of Bougainville and taking of Green Island

New download links available below

Note - All screenshots taken with Slibenli's il2.ge enabled

Overhead Simpson Harbour, Rabaul

Imperial Japanese Navy assembles a cruiser force at Rabaul to sortie in answer to US invasion of Bougainville at Empress Augusta Bay

Barakoma Airfield, Vella La Vella

Woodlark Island staging airfield

Bougainville, Empress Augusta Bay - US Forward Airfields - Cape Torokina fighter strip in the foreground, with Piva Uncle and Piva Yoke airfields in the distance

********************************************************************************************************************

I'm hoping these six maps can provide a significant expansion of the excellent stock 1C Maddox Solomons Islands maps. As you will see it includes the NE part of New Britain and the Japanese Naval and Air Base of Rabaul. As all of us PTO enthusiasts know, Rabaul was of course the progenitor of aggression across the Solomons throughout the course of most of WW2, from The Battle of the Coral Sea to the Invasion of Bougainville and beyond. Although the Japanese had several smaller air bases dotted around the Solomons, Rabaul was the nexus of Japanese power and the "untouchable" staging post for the major air and naval counter-attacks against the allied advance in the southern Pacific. It was also a focus for allied air-attack, much of which came from air bases within the Solomons, particularly those on Bougainville after the US foothold was established in late 1943.
So, partly to satisfy my own obsession with having "real" airfields from which to depart and return within missions, but mainly to provide a realistic sub-theatre in which to overlay historic missions, I give you this (big) battleground.

Download links

Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Aug-42          https://www.mediafire.com/file/fr98f9v2th8fj4k/sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Aug-42.7z/file
   Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Dec-42          https://www.mediafire.com/file/n7du4hjao7p64nw/sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Dec-42.7z/file
   Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_July-43          https://www.mediafire.com/file/d0j3vzfj67hhqpq/sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Jul-43.7z/file
   Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Nov-43          https://www.mediafire.com/file/y9sztni2rw4sb09/sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Nov-43.7z/file
   Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Jan-44           https://www.mediafire.com/file/621iuhlopru58n8/sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Jan-44.7z/file
   Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_March-44       https://www.mediafire.com/file/hydhz0u5spjoo3r/sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_March-44.7z/file

***********************************************************************************************************************
Thanks and gratitude to;
Tokyo Rose and Mosquito for their incredible "Green Hell" map from which I have copied Rabaul town and harbour and surrounding airfields
Bee for his original designs of Rabaul and its airfields
Cyberolas for his Singapore textures
Hubberranz for his airfield layouts
IC Maddox for the Solomon Islands Maps, from which I have copied profusely

For BEST VISUAL EFFECT in this map, use with il2.ge + il2.ge_random_cirrus_textures (grey scale textures only) AND DON'T FORGET TO ENABLE PERFECT MODE IN GAME

Installation Instructions;

Unzip with 7zip if possible - Each Map folder contains
i) map folder "sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_xxx-xx"
ii) textures folder "_Tex"
iii) objects folder "3do"
Both folders are already placed in the "MODS" folder hierarchy (#SAS, #WAW3, etc)

Install the folder sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_xxx-xx as follows;

MODS(#SAS,#WAW,#WAW3)/MAPMODS/MAPS/sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_xxx-xx

BACK UP your _Tex and 3do folders just in case!

Install the folder _Tex as follows - allow overwrite if prompted (There are extra textures for HSFX users)

MODS(#SAS,#WAW,#WAW3)/MAPMODS/MAPS/_Tex

Install the 3do folder as follows - allow overwrite if prompted (There are extra objects for HSFX users)

MODS(#SAS,#WAW,#WAW3 etc)/MAPMODS/3do

Add the static.ini entries to your static.ini file - insert them at the top

HSFX users add the additional static entries - insert them at the top

***************************************************************************************************

************************************************************************************************

Finally, add the appropriate entries to the all.ini file (inside the MAPS folder)

sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Aug-42         sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Aug-42/load.ini
   sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Dec-42         sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Dec-42/load.ini
   sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_July-43         sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_July-43/load.ini
   sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Nov-43         sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Nov-43/load.ini
   sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Jan-44          sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_Jan-44/load.ini
   sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_March-44       sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea_March-44/load.ini

******************* IMPORTANT ******************
This map has been tested in Modact 5.3, CUP (up to expansion Part 22), HSFX 7.03, BAT (up to v3.8 Pegasus #WAW3) and all versions
of 4.13 up to and including Modact 6.4. (My guess is that it will work in pre-4.12 versions, as long as the appropriate supporting files are
present)

**********************************************************************************************************

If missions do not save, you probably have one or more missing objects
If map will not load, you probably have one or more missing textures

*******************************************************************************************************

Best regards
Squashman

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
Re: Coral Sea & Solomon Sea including Rabaul
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 01:07:14 PM »

Amazing !!!

Is this big map's scale is 1:1 as real ?
Or a bit smaller ??

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 01:09:28 PM »

Hi Western - Yes it's as near to 1:1 as I could get, perhaps a little smaller but not much  ;D

Actually I had more screenshots but postimage would not oblige - I'll try again later.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »

It sounds we have to fly very long hours and hard task to fight with US on your map as IJN pilot tried !!  :o

Big thanks !

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »

Hi Western

What kind of performance are you getting fps etc? Is it satisfactory?  8)

jeanba

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 07:22:51 AM »

good !

Mixx

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 01:51:37 PM »

Very interesting map! Successfully chosen territory, beautifully chosen texture.

Motörhead

• http://forum.aviaskins.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »

Great news! Thank you Squashman for your efforts!
This map will be used in next update of my "Pearl Harbor - Tokyo" campaign, to show you final stage of Solomon islands campaign in December 1943 (this stage of campaign is ready at the moment), and Siege of Rabaul in first months of 1944.
Ain't a hope in hell, nothing's gonna bring us down, The way we fly, five miles off the ground, It's a Bomber!

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 03:29:10 PM »

Great news! Thank you Squashman for your efforts!
This map will be used in next update of my "Pearl Harbor - Tokyo" campaign, to show you final stage of Solomon islands campaign in December 1943 (this stage of campaign is ready at the moment), and Siege of Rabaul in first months of 1944.
Thanks Motorhead  ;D
Very much looking forward to next stages of PH-T campaign

Mixx

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 01:55:27 PM »

Thank you!
The scale of the map is amazing!

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 08:32:25 PM »

Awesome job Squashman  ;D :D ;)

Can't wait to download this on Sunday when I get back From Laos.

Looking forward to flying on it.

Cheers,
Kirby

mechanic

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 10:17:05 PM »

Squashman,

I thought I followed all the install instructions but when I try to load this map I get the following message " section [MAP2D] not found in 'maps/sq_Coral-Sea_Solomon-Sea/load.ini " and nothing loads. Any thoughts/suggestions on where to find this item?

I'm in BAT 3.2 SP3.

Thanks.
Mechanic

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 27 queries.