Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Configurable MaxVisualDistance Mod  (Read 13268 times)

whistler

• Modder
Configurable MaxVisualDistance Mod
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:16:19 PM »

Warning: this mod is more a placebo than anything. Don't take anything for granted. Last time I played with and analyzed different VisualDistance values I didn't get to any relevant conclusion. In my opinion, increasing default values do not improve gameplay at all. You will hardly notice anything. I personally didn't. Use this mod for testing purposes only.

Dont' use this mod in BAT: BAT comes with custom effects and many objects in BAT have custom visibility distances.

Configurable MaxVisualDistance Mod for 4.12.2 and B.A.T.
:: Including Dave's Realism Effects v1.0 in SFS format ::

Disclaimer, use this mod at your risk. The mod 'as provided' will not impact your game but be warned that you can easily kill your fps or have really bad frame rates when you use high values. If you have any issue, disable the mod first and test your mission without it before going to the forums for help.

The class that comes with this mod is a straight port from a work from Mike (SAS~Storebror) for UP3, so kudos to him. This class allows you to set the MaxVisualDistance values via conf.ini so that you can adjust them easily at will. The game will use defaults if you don't add the conf.ini entries.

Set the parameters below in the [Mods] section at the end of your conf.ini:

Code: [Select]
[Mods]
MaxVisualDistance=5000
MaxStaticVisualDistance=4000
MaxLongVisualDistance=10000
MaxPlateVisualDistance=16000

Values above are game defaults (in meters). I recommend trying with these values first:

Code: [Select]
[Mods]
MaxVisualDistance=15000
MaxStaticVisualDistance=10000
MaxLongVisualDistance=15000
MaxPlateVisualDistance=20000

What do these settings do?

- MaxVisualDistance: how far you can see some effects such as smoke, dust, fires...
- MaxStaticVisualDistance: how far you can see some objects
- MaxLongVisualDistance: not sure, ship wakes? bridges?
- MaxPlateVisualDistance: I would say airfield plates mainly

Each individual object and effect has its own internal MaxVisualDistance value. Some objects/effects can be modded, others not. You probably won't see industrial chimneys that are merely 10km away but you could see their smokes from 35km...

You need (at least) an effects mod to see any results and I include in the download a SFS-ready version of the excellent and fps-friendly Dave's Realism Effects for v4.12. If you need to edit any of the effects included, either unpack the SFS or download the original, un-packed version.

The mod comes in one zip but it contains two different JSGME-ready versions: one for ModAct and another for B.A.T.

Download the mod, extract it, pick your winner and enable it in JSGME. This mod may not work if you have other effect mods installed. This is the case of VP Modpack... I do not say it won't work, but be warned that VP Modpack comes with its own Visual Distance class and effects mod (try disabling !!00_0_FXEvolution_v4.12 in example).

Play with different MaxVisualDistance values and share your experience!

DOWNLOAD: Configurable_MaxVisualDistance_Mod_for_4.12.2.zip - 3MB

Oh, and before you ask: I did not test it in any other version of IL-2. This mod is 4.12.2 certified only (from me anyway).

See you in the skies! - whistler -

NG-HUD v3.6.1 | NG-MAP v3.2 | NG-CAM v2.0 | NG-PAL v1.2: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,93.0.html

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: Configurable MaxVisualDistance Mod
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 01:15:26 PM »

Cool stuff  8)
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

whistler

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 01:59:52 PM »

I literally took the relevant code from a 4.10 class of yours, pasted it in a pristine 4.12 World.class and hashed it. All credits to you man. I also hope you BAT-approve it! letting all those B.A.T-buggers tinker with these settings...? what the? :P

Credits also to Dave for the effects he created! I only packed his mod in SFS using benitomuso's tools.
NG-HUD v3.6.1 | NG-MAP v3.2 | NG-CAM v2.0 | NG-PAL v1.2: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,93.0.html

taskf53

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 07:37:34 PM »

A great great mod 8) 8) 8)

Thank you very much.

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 08:55:06 AM »

Thanks Whistler, great work!

I notice that ONLY the classfile 8A318408BB7C513E is placed in the MODS folder, compared to the three that Dave included in his FX Pack. Is this file the most significant or primary file for varying view distance (as determined by conf settings)?
If so this would simplify things greatly; for instance I have an install of Modact 6.4, 4.13.4 with FXEvolution for 413. To achieve view distances of 10km, 15km and 30km I use separate JSGME folders - so that I can vary the view distance depending on mission requirements -

Thus for
10km view distance, the folder contains only 8A318408BB7C513E
15km view distance, the folder contains 00178BEA6D437F32, C1E6491A15C0411E and D60102080342BDC2
30km view distance, the folder contains 8A318408BB7C513E, 64F83BC6574C11DE and 949499C0F4E85D88

I arrived at these file combinations simply by playing around with Classfiles from Daves' and Gurners' FX Packs and have been testing them out in modded versions of 4.12.2 before posting a thread.
So far they seem to work fine in Modact 5.3, CUP #WAW to Part 22, albeit with the expected fps drop on more demanding missions, but your method is a lot simpler and more flexible. Look forward to testing it out this evening.

regards
Squash

whistler

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 09:36:08 AM »

Hi Squashman,

I notice that ONLY the classfile 8A318408BB7C513E is placed in the MODS folder, compared to the three that Dave included in his FX Pack. Is this file the most significant or primary file for varying view distance (as determined by conf settings)?

8A318408BB7C513E is the one file we need. Discard the other two, they add nothing new.

There are many view distance options around for 4.13 as you well say! As good as Gurner's and FXEvolution are I found dave's effects to be the best companion for this little mod since he achieved great results without altering class files.

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 02:28:25 PM »

This mod works in vp Modpack alongside the FXEvolution effects mod -
Just drop the folder !!!MaxVisualDistance into the #SAS folder.
Alternatively, to use Dave's FX mod, disable the two FXEvolution folders with a "-" and enable the whole mod through JSGME

I got great distance results using the following, pretty much maxed-out, settings

[Mods]
MaxVisualDistance=30000
MaxStaticVisualDistance=30000  (this one seems to affect how far some of the smoke plumes can be seen)
MaxLongVisualDistance=30000
MaxPlateVisualDistance=20000

There was a 20 to 30% fps drop, in a 34 plane mission, but on the stock Solomons map, smoke plumes on Tulagi could be seen from Henderson Field (about 35km) - Nice.

blackshark

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 01:47:49 PM »

I have two questions for two of my installations, because i am not expert in mods:

- you do not write about it, but should it work with 4.12 HSFX 7.03, is it right ?

- talking about 30000 distance, for my DBW (4.10) i have an installation where i already have gurner fx with 30k option, so has it the same distance features of your mod ? I see in the posts above you talked about classes but the "class" concept it's not clear to me ...

whistler

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 08:05:45 AM »

Hi blackshark,

I suppose it won't break your HSFX but I have no idea if it works as intended. Never tested it in HSFX!

Speaking of what......... this mod is more a placebo than anything. Don't take anything for granted. Last time I played with and analyzed different VisualDistance values I didn't get to any relevant conclusion. In my opinion, increasing default values do not improve gameplay at all. You will hardly notice anything. I personally didn't. Actually you can impact (negatively) fps big time.

The only real improvement comes from Dave's Realism Effects, and to be more specific: the fires and fume effects. Smokes will be seen from a very long distance (35km?), and here is the interesting part, with or without the classes! VisualDistance values are object-centric it seems. And what's more, Dave's Realism Effects pack break some effects in my BAT, in example fumes from some carriers and flak effects.

Use this mod for testing purposes only. It is, in my opinion, only worth it for the fires and fume effects.

Can anyone set apart fires and fume effects from Dave's Realism Effects and share them as a separate download? That would definitively make a good, simple, effective, standalone mod!

weasel

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 01:12:02 PM »

Trying to get this mod but mediafire just loops on 'creating download link', want it for VPMOD and BAT.  Disabled all addons in FIREFOX but no joy.

<Gunny>

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 01:41:13 PM »

Delete your HISTORY and cookies . Then it will work..
 ;)

weasel

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 03:36:59 PM »

Nope, still just looping creating link.  Cleared history/cache and restarted FF. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 24 queries.