Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Firing Up A Real Fw-190-D & Me-110 Clips.  (Read 4494 times)

woofiedog

Firing Up A Real Fw-190-D & Me-110 Clips.
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:54:14 AM »

8)

They have to work at firing up this engine! LoL   Fw190D Engine Runs

Me-110 clip.  Messerschmitt ME110 Zerstoerer

Rare color film of the scrapped Luftwaffe.   1945 Relicts of the Luftwaffe

MudMarine

• "Etiam In Pugna"
Re: Firing Up A Real Fw-190-D & Me-110 Clips.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:39:34 AM »

What is it that they are manually spinning up in the first video?  In the A8 video it sounds like the same thing is spinning up but is done electrically....

Flanker35M

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 07:44:18 AM »

S!

The Jumo 213E in the Dora had inertia starter like Bf109-series so it had to be spun. an inverted V12 there as well :) The Anton had the BMW801-series engine, a radial engine. Wonderfull videos, thanks for sharing :)

woofiedog

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 10:35:40 AM »

SAS~Gerax... sorry for the mix up...I know we all have enough to do these days.  ;)

A couple more quick clips...

Ground attack of Fw190A. Ground attack of Fw190A

Fw 190A-8 vs P-38 Lightning.  Fw 190A-8 x P-38 Lightning

Some German gun camera footage I haven't seen before.

Luftwaffe Bf109 and FW190 gun camera. Luftwaffe Bf109 and FW190 gun camera

And some gun footage from a Tempest and what looks like againest a long nose Fw-190 in the begining and a V-1 near the end.

Hawker Tempest gun camera.  Hawker Tempest gun camera

Hawker Typhoon in Action. Hawker Typhoon in Action

Some more popcorn anyone! LoL  8)

congo

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 01:14:30 PM »

What is it that they are manually spinning up in the first video?  In the A8 video it sounds like the same thing is spinning up but is done electrically....

The first video shows them hand cranking an inertia starter. Some starter motors had inertia wheeels that could be spun either manually or electrically for starting purposes. The Dora most likely has a motor to drive the inertia wheel also so they were probably doing this for dramatic effect or maybe they did not have an adequate battery in the AC at that time. I think that video was shot out at Doug Champlins rework facility.

The Inertia Starter incorporates the following advantages: Minimum weight in proportion to the cranking torque capacity of the starter. High initial cranking speed thereby assuring delivery of fuel to the cylinders and permitting starting with a greater degree of spark advance. Flywheel acceleration independent of engine size, frictional torque and weather conditions, thereby assuring minimum current draw when electrically operated. Torque overload release, consisting of a multiple disc clutch under adjustable spring pressure, thereby preventing damage to the engine or starter in case of overload or engine back fire. Automatic disengagement of motor jaw with flywheel jaw when starter is hand operated, thereby permitting band cranking with motor shaft disengaged. Starter operation, independent of electrical system, by means of hand crank with no decrease in starter performance. Acceleration of flywheel by some external means, such as an external energizer, thereby providing a reduction in weight by elimination of the motor and at the same time providing starting by use of the hand crank in event of emergency. Provisions for complete remote control of starter from pilot's compartment when electrically operated by use of a solenoid meshing device and solenoid starting switch. Starters manufactured by Eclipse Aviation are available for operation from 12 or 24 volt battery systems
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.