Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Research Project : Engines  (Read 1712 times)

Stainless

Research Project : Engines
« on: November 17, 2017, 02:03:23 AM »

I have just added the engine to the F16.

Now that actually was a lot of work as to do that I had to create a lot of components and add them to the entity component system. Generic engine component, turbine, fuel tanks, etc.

In order to test it I am now adding an input mapping system, so you can define which button on which device maps to which command.

While doing this I added interlocks so we can do engine start up correctly. I found a F16 pilots manual which details all the procedures.

The problem I have is that none of the documents I have explain what happens when you get it wrong.

Some are obvious. No electrical power, engine does not spin up.

Others are not.

The throttle should be at 0 for spin up, what happens if I left it at 100% ?

The throttle should be advanced to idle when the engine spins up to 20% RPM, what happens if I don't ?

That sort of thing.

If anyone comes across answers to any of these sort of questions, or accident reports which mention improper startup procedures, please, please post them here.

Cheers guys

Kilo

• Modder
  • Hold my beer!
    • Sqn. 71 fighter-bombing Silver Wings
Re: Research Project : Engines
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 02:31:58 AM »

Some things such as those mentioned are pretty common for most of the jet engines. While what I've found is not specific to the F-16 engine, I believe this channel might provide some valuable information.

As for the two specific questions, I think in the first case the engine might catch fire as you're filling it up with excess fuel before the ignition sequence, while in the second situation, you're not feeding it any fuel during the ignition sequence, so it won't start.

Hope this helps. :)
Fortune favours the bold; disaster even more so
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 25 queries.