Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inaccuracy in V1 Mission Track Recording  (Read 2029 times)

WytchCrypt

• Mutiny in Jonestown...Prog Rock Since 1986
Inaccuracy in V1 Mission Track Recording
« on: October 19, 2017, 03:46:37 PM »

Hi all,

I've recently run a V1 intercept mission on 2 different releases of IL-2 1946 (one a completely stock IL2 4.13.4 & also IL2 4.12.2 with VPModPack).  In both missions I shot a V1 out of the sky with guns, but on both tracks I miss the V1 and are shown shooting at nothing while the V1 continues to fly unharmed.  Can anyone tell me why this is happening?   My favorite thing to do with IL-2 is to record tracks and play them back, but this inaccuracy is definitely frustrating.

Thanks!
Grew up in Sunnyvale CA under the landing approach to Moffett Field near Lockheed & NASA.  Every year the Blue Angels would come in October and I'd climb up on the roof to watch the show...no wonder I'm a flight sim maniac!

Koty

• Mr. MiG
  • Modder
  • It's a MiG!
Re: Inaccuracy in V1 Mission Track Recording
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:50:13 PM »

Make sure to start recording while in the mission. The track that gets "restored" after you end the mission has all kinds of inaccuracies. Someone like Mike could possibly give us more exact info, but basically, all the randomizations that take place ingame are done once again, well - and since they are random, the after-match tracks are damaged.
If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick.

WytchCrypt

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 05:49:05 PM »

Thanks, that did the trick!  I reflew a new V1 mission recording after the mission began and this time the replay was perfect  ;)
Grew up in Sunnyvale CA under the landing approach to Moffett Field near Lockheed & NASA.  Every year the Blue Angels would come in October and I'd climb up on the roof to watch the show...no wonder I'm a flight sim maniac!

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 12:33:45 PM »

Now, I fly 4.08, which might be a factor...

...but when I start/stop recording during the mission I often find discrepancies in playback where gunfire is shown in the recording to be missing my target. This usually occurs more during harder maneuvering.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 12:33:09 AM »

The recordings are not 1:1 playbacks of reality.

When you save the track after your mission ended, the game will create an old "TRK" format recording which is missing all kind of things.
It's basically a track format from the ancient days of IL-2.
In newer versions you can completely prohibit TRK recording for good reasons, but I think that's not documented.
If for instance you watch the good old "The Black Death" track which is often used for FPS estimation, you will notice that when the La-5's shoot the Fw-190's, they mostly miss, and they seem to cause no damage, and for sure whatever they seem to "hit" is no reason for the planes to go down. Yet they do. TRK recordings - shitty as can be.

When you save the track while your mission is running, the game will create a new "NTRK" format recording.
NTRK tracks consist of the mission, the plane and pilot skins, the starting condition (positions, speeds, orientation, state) of all actors on the map and after that, all the data that would be sent across the net to other clients if this missions was flown online.
So essentially you get what you need to see the actors at all, you get their initial states, and then you get the same thing you would see if you'd watch this mission being flown from the other side of the world.
Gun/Bomb/Rocket/Torpedo Fire/Drops/Shots have in issue in TD's net replication code.
It's not the Shot/Drop itself that's being sent across the net, but the trigger keypress.
But that trigger keypress is not being sent with each interpolator tick like it happens for the initiator, but only on every 4th net update (or so).
This means that your gunfire might be seen delayed on the NTRK, or it might even be missing at all (like many bomb drops are).
This is exactly the same issue like you get when you watch others playing online.

Nevertheless, when you've hit someone while playing the mission, the hit will "count" in the NTRK (and online) too, because that's being dealt in a different way and only the "shooter" perspective counts, whether or not from another perspective (NTRK, online) the shot hit or not.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

WytchCrypt

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 01:47:01 PM »

Thanks for the detailed response Mike, very good to know the inner TRK/NTRK workings  ;) 

As far as my V1 mission goes, I've been using the 'Q' command to create an in-game NTRK and it's much more accurate, at least I'm not shooting at blank sky anymore!  It's not perfect, for example my rocket take down of the V1 isn't a direct hit, but it's very close so is acceptable.  The only big issue I've run into is the ordinance view (introduced in 4.13.4) is completely ignored on NTRK. 

Another odd thing that now makes total sense after I figured it out:  My V1 mission is about 15 minutes long with all the action happening at the final 5 minutes after a long flight to intercept the V1 ground launch site.  When I made my final NTRK I began the mission at the 10 minute mark when I lined up behind the 1st wave of V1's.  Everything looked great initially, then when I replayed the NTRK the V1's were nowhere to be found.  It occurred to me the problem was the wave of V1's I lined up behind were launched around minute 7 and I was starting the NTRK after the launch happened so the replay had no idea they were already in the air.  I rolled back the mission to the 7 minute V1 launch mark and everything was fine  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 26 queries.