Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Iran-Iraq War campaigns - Jet Wars over the Schatt al-Arab  (Read 23920 times)

SpongeBob

Re: vampire_pilot's Iran-Iraq War campaigns - Jet Wars over the Schatt al-Arab
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 02:08:18 AM »

Hi Vampire_pilot,

I'm flying your Iraqi Mig-21 campaign. Only two missions so far, because I'm not used to modern jets and I have to learn how to fly them. Just landing was a nightmare at the beginning.
For those old-fashioned pilots like me that usually fly with biplanes, here there are some hints that I discovered by chance (perhaps most of you know this already, but I think it could be useful to someone):

Landing with the Mig-21:
- NEVER, NEVER, NEVER fly under 350 kph when approaching runway. It is the safest way to fall down like a brick.
- It seems that flaps and landing gear bear high speeds without breaking. I've used them above 400 kph, so you can deploy them without slowing down too much.
- As soon as your wheels touch land, deploy the drag chute (I've set a button in my throttle, so it can be done easily).
- If everything is made as described, it is really easy to land. The only problem is when speed falls down below 350 kph, so keep it fast.

I still don't know how to make tight turns with the Mig-21. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks again, Vampire-pilots for your varied campaigns!

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 02:49:12 AM »

all the above is absolutely correct. High landing speed and a very low angle of attack (i.e do not pull the nose up!). I have  atendency to apply a little much power and use airbrake bursts to adjust speed. It's much easier to bleed a few kmh than accelerate a few in short time.
A modern jet you need to actively "fly" in while a lot of the prop types you can almost "glide" to a landing with power almost to zero. Don't attempt that with such a jet.

I still don't know how to make tight turns with the Mig-21.
You just don't ;)
This is no Rata.

kingle92

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 09:52:02 AM »

Great campaign! Thanks for releasing it.
Somehow, but not always, the AI-planes often crash when they are landing, as they touch the ground way too early. Same happens when you let the Mig-21 land with autopilot (every time I tried it so far). Is it only me having this issue?

Katyusha454

• Fishbed Fangirl
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 12:16:02 PM »

My usual technique with the Fishbed is to extend the airbrakes and flaps and give it a lot of power (usually around 90%), and use that to maintain a fairly steady 350kph through the whole final approach, then chop the throttle right as I touch down.  If you bounce, DO NOT try to continue the landing.  Immediately go full power, retract everything, and go around.

Ivan-le-Rouge

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »

Thanks for those campaigns, I have a lot of fun flying F5-E. Just a question, you have use Nanchang Q5 in Iraqui side, is it historicaly accurate? I am note able to find evidence of it. Whatever the answer it will not change my mind about the excellent job you have done.

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 02:48:36 PM »

Thanks for playing!

It's my stand-in for Mig-23 which we don't have.  (yet - the other big gap is the Mirage F.1))
The Q5 is the only pointy-nose fighter available to look the part for immersion for me. I took the idea from vern's original F-4 campaign and ran with it.

markino

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 02:43:18 AM »

Hi vampire_pilot, I am playing your campaign with Iranian F4E and is very exciting!!! I have an only great problem....how can I land safely with the F4E  :o: Every time I try to land manually I crash and explode on the runway.... :-[

There are guidelines to fly and, mainly, land the F4E safely?  ;)

Thanks for all your help! Ciao!

Marco

Hi guys, some instructions for landing with the F4E? Thanks!

Ciao!

Marco

SpongeBob

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »

Hello,
I've found some guides for jet planes. They belong to another simulator game: DCS (Digital Combat Simulator).
I haven't tried that simulator, although it seems to be more realistic in terms of engine management, flight model... than IL-2. However it is also much more limited concerning number of planes, maps, missions...

The good point is that there are some PDF guides to a few aircraft, mainly jets (F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21, A-10...). The guides are astounding. Probably many things don't apply to IL-2, but I think they include good hints about how to fly jets.

Here you can find the guides:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

Cheers!

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 02:28:37 AM »

*NEW**NEW**NEW*

New Iraqi Su-22 campaign uploaded in first post!

Ta183Huckebein

• FAC #17
  • Modder
  • aka "Raven"

Nice!

Thank you  ;D

markino

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »

Hello,
I've found some guides for jet planes. They belong to another simulator game: DCS (Digital Combat Simulator).
I haven't tried that simulator, although it seems to be more realistic in terms of engine management, flight model... than IL-2. However it is also much more limited concerning number of planes, maps, missions...

The good point is that there are some PDF guides to a few aircraft, mainly jets (F-86, MiG-15, MiG-21, A-10...). The guides are astounding. Probably many things don't apply to IL-2, but I think they include good hints about how to fly jets.

Here you can find the guides:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

Cheers!

Hi Spongebob, thanks for sharing. I will try to learn somethings usefull to land with jet but is very hard for me. Till now I flew with propeller driven only...

Ciao!

Marco

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 10:40:37 AM »

I am working on a new campaign.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 27 queries.