Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sides for default game forests  (Read 19749 times)

Mixx

Re: Sides for default game forests
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2017, 03:18:41 PM »

winter forest beautiful!

FNRennier

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2018, 07:57:22 PM »

That's really amazing!
Great work!
Thank you very much!
=FN=Rennier

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2018, 07:22:32 AM »

Just discovered this mod and it looks amazing.  Thank you!  8)

This may be an impossible dream but...I'm wondering if it is possible to have the game automatically place these textures on the sides of all forests?
I mean, could the 3D forest (with invisible sides) be manipulated in order to show this type of side?  This way objects would not have to be manually placed.  Probably not possible though.  :-X

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2018, 07:36:22 AM »

Another way to use these, as is, is by map-makers.  The map-maker could install these objects on the sides of forests around airfields, towns, or even on every side of every forest - so that a mission builder would not have to place each object.  The map-maker can use the many seasonal choices available to make maps with different seasons.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »

I've just been experimenting...

I don't like the sudden and too obvious popping into visibility. So I did this. I created two additional versions, a middle rez one of 256 pixels and a lo rez one of 64 pixels. In the mesh I added the necessary two additional LODs, and set the visiblity to

In the .mat files I set the mid rez opacity to 0.8, and the low rez opacity to 0.5. (Max res opacity is the usual 1.0.)

In all 3 .mat files I set the ambient parameter to 0.8, so as to have a smaller difference in brightness when directly sunlit vs. in shadow.

Moreover, to avoid 'shimmer' (due to undersampling of a too-detailed image for the scale it's displayed at) I enabled mipmapping for the two higher rez textures.

The effect is of a much less jarring progression into visibility.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 25 queries.