Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help with taxi stay points. " Parking "  (Read 3599 times)

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
I need help with taxi stay points. " Parking "
« on: August 16, 2017, 02:43:16 PM »

It was pointed out to me that Kwajalein on my latest map has issues with planes parking or crashing into things. I fixed the crashing into things but for the life of me cant get more than ten planes to land and park. I have checked the waypoints over and over but cant find the reason when plane eleven comes in it goes to where it can turn left or right to park , shuts down and vanishes.
Would someone who knows about this be willing to help me?

Thank you.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
Re: I need help with taxi stay points. " Parking "
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 04:08:39 PM »

Hey Bombs!

Photobucket killed all my images here at SAS, so I'm reloading this one to VGY.me - to try it out.

Image is my version of RAF Manston for Canon's BETA Channel Map, to launch and recover twelve (maximum) fighter-sized aircraft (from one end of the runway or the other).  In all the testing I've done, this is the only completely reliable layout of runway, taxi and parking waypoints. 

Without knowing all the coding going on in the background, it appears to me that the AI can go FUBAR whenever it has a "choice" of which waypoint to follow on the ground (or even in the landing pattern!), whether it's multiple runways or even just taxi route "intersections". 

I've always found this layout - a single double ended runway with a single taxi route at each end - to be by far the most reliable (usually 100% success for AI landing, taxi-ing and parking). For me it makes it much nicer to plan missions when you can count on where the AI will park at the end - they will always fill the parking spots in order with this layout:

The other thing I've found that will "kill" a parking spot is another object too close - so that's something to look out for.  Once all the "effective" parking spots are filled, the AI will despawn halfway to the first runway waypoint (in my experience).

Hope it helps.  :)

KB

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 04:17:47 PM »

VGY.me seems to have worked ok, so here's another couple examples of my favourite layout, RAF Kenley and RAF Biggin Hill, both for sixteen fighters:

Cheers!

SAS~Bombsaway

• SAS Team
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:50:58 PM »

Thank you KB. :) I will try it.

Zoran395

• Mapper
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 06:56:50 AM »

AI have a maximum distance after which they cannot see a parking spot. If it's too far, no good.
AI do not like objects on the map (like an hangar) too close to the parking spot.
AI bombers do not like tight angles in taxiways, they will ignore the parking spot.
AI bombers do not like too closely placed taxi-park points from each other (they will go the next one).

If you have a link to your files I could have a look at them and get it fixed (maybe a PM with your latest version?). If interested let me know how many and which types of planes you would like to park.

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:53:57 AM »

I think you'll like this Bombs.  :)

The field is a good size for twelve fighters I think. Eastern end of strip done, 100% taxi-ing and parking for twelve F4U. It's 1:45am here in Aotearoa, so I'm gonna get some shuteye, will look at the western end on the weekend.

Main problems were the layout was too complex for the AI, and a few palm trees were too close. As Zoran says, let us know if there's a particular type of plane you'd like to use.

Cheers,

KB

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 08:08:49 AM »

Also, had to use a few extra files to get this map set up nice in 4.12 VP Modpack where I did this edit - so if anyone would like a hand to setup, just let us know.  :)

KB

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »

I really like this airfield, so one more pic before bed!  ;D

Click on pic to embiggenate.  8)

KB

SAS~Bombsaway

• SAS Team
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »

Hi KB. Thanks for your help with this. I see I will have to add some files and objects to the next update for VP Mod Pack users or anyone else not using BAT. The Marsdat matting I am using is a sand color.......

I wanted to add some detail but have them blend in as well. Unless you think the black mat looks better. I'm always open for suggestions.
It's funny the map was too complicated for the AI. :) I thought by just drawing mostly a straight line, they could park. :) Little buggers can shoot me down but not smart enough to park their own planes. :)

If you could, have some planes park in the grass just too get the 16 flight to land and park. If that's possible. That way no planes vanish after landing.

Again, thank you for all your help and thank you Zoran for your offer as well. I know 16 bombers wont take off from this island so I'm not too worried about them but 16 fighters can. I've been using the F4U-1A so any fighter should do. I hope. :)

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »

The sand colored matting looks great Bombs! Shouldn't be a problem to squeeze in four more parking spots.

My pleasure to help. This airfield is a nice challenge due to the constrained area, and it's a very nice map. Working on it actually highlighted a couple of issues in my own install, and has helped make it even better!  8)

Cheers,
KB

SAS~Bombsaway

• SAS Team
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 03:53:57 PM »

Great! That's what I love about modding. People come together to make this game better.   :D

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 11:23:14 PM »

Here's one solution Bombs. 16x fighters taxiing to the western end of the runway:

... and 16x fighters taxiing to the eastern end:

Only a few of these spots are available to heavies like the B-24, but it works nice as a fighter layout. 

Hope it helps.  :)

KB
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 23 queries.