Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Drive through hangars.  (Read 6057 times)

Mission_bug

• Modder
Drive through hangars.
« on: July 10, 2017, 04:06:32 PM »

Hello guys, this upload came out of a discussion quite some time ago about hit boxes and the inability of vehicles to move through some
objects, finally I got around to doing something about some of the large hangars mentioned in those converstions.  :)

Mediafire link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/olca4xkwstvxa2w/Hangar_objects_altered.zip

Please give them a try in your install and report back. ;)

Three are the large TypeC_34 and 38 Cannon hangars and the fourth a WWI type the Bessonneau:

The folder is made so that it should load before any previous versions and will use their entries, you will have to
make any further changes to your own game as you see fit.

Please backup and save any earlier versions if you overwrite with these so you can swap back if necessary.

Changes made:

Changing the single CoCommon for two, one each mounted either side of the hangar.

Adding a shadow to each hangar:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: Drive through hangars.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 10:35:55 PM »

Cool!
Thanks a lot Pete.
It's really annoying when you wanna do some barnstorming and end up in a smoking hole.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 12:01:58 AM »

i believe i might have been part of that original question, Pete :D
i remember asking you about it, as i wanted my vehicles to be able to move through the open hangars on the Da Nang airbase.
this is awesome news, looking forward to trying it out this weekend
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 03:12:33 AM »

Pete, this is wonderful !
It might be possible to create a tonnel by placing such hangars in a row and burying them below the terrain by changing object height in static.ini entries.

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 05:59:22 AM »

The ground itself might trigger a collision though....

What would work is a static object, like Mount Suribachi with a tunnel made inside the object. It's doable on the same basis as the hangars. Collision meshes that do not block entry to the tunnel and a tunnel interior.

Make a shallow slope into the tunnel from outside. That way, you can sink the object into the ground and blend it with the textures on the ground level and put a road up into the tunnel for softskins to enter.

You could also make little bunkers for artillery to fire out of - i.e. Dien Bien Phu or the Guns of Navarone or Pointe du Hoc.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 07:02:44 AM »

It's really annoying when you wanna do some barnstorming and end up in a smoking hole.

Best regards - Mike

Careful there Mike, we do not want you in that smoking hole, do as I do taxi only. :D

i believe i might have been part of that original question, Pete :D
i remember asking you about it, as i wanted my vehicles to be able to move through the open hangars on the Da Nang airbase.

Yes Eugene it was you, the image of the Mig-15UTI is on that map so try out the QMB for the 1968 at the weekend. ;)

I have still to do the skyscraper thing we were experimenting with, might try that out next. o_O

It might be possible to create a tonnel by placing such hangars in a row and burying them below the terrain by changing object height in static.ini entries.

I will let you try the experiment Uzin, would be fun if it worked.

What would work is a static object, like Mount Suribachi with a tunnel made inside the object. It's doable on the same basis as the hangars. Collision meshes that do not block entry to the tunnel and a tunnel interior.

Would depend on the mountain not having a hit box I think, do not know if it does, you can try that one and report back.

Just a thought on the hangar flicker issue, I removed this from the live and dead meshes in my game and it seemed better:

Code: [Select]
[Hooks]
Ground_Level <BASE>

[HookLoc]
0 0 1 0 1 0 -1 0 0 0.0 0.0 0.0

The only other way to stop it I think would be to remove the floor of those TypeC_1930s hangars but I really
do not want to alter the Cannon objects without his okay, not sure if he is still around these days. :(

Take care.

SAS~Malone

• Editor
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 07:22:59 AM »

I have still to do the skyscraper thing we were experimenting with, might try that out next.

that would be great. of course, as you should know by now, i like to throw ideas out, and i'm not (usually) in any rush.
if it happens, it happens. if not, then not. que sera sera, is my motto ;)
also, i've been real scarce myself recently. reality bit hard a while back, and hasn't entirely let go it's grip yet, lol
trying to make more time for the forums again, and indeed, for IL-2.
the whole thing with the skyscrapers came to me when i played some helicopter game a long time back,(the name i forget) where the heli's were chasing each around the skyscrapers, and doing crazy side strafes, ducking behind a tower and popping back out again, using the scrapers to avoid missiles, etc it was great fun, but i've no idea how well that might translate into Il-2.
collidable scrapers could certainly add a new dimension for the more creative FMB'ers...  :D  i have some ideas.... 

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 10:44:25 AM »

Hello Eugene, I think with the amount of modern day aircraft and equipment in the game there is certainly the need to have these high rise buildings behave as any other in the game because in air raids on heavily populated towns and cities in a modern war context they would at least suffer severe blast damage at times from either aircraft or the ground combat so it is necessary to have damage textures or even a dedicated model appear in such instances as well as aircraft building collisions need to be realistic. ;)

Can it be done though, Mandrill has suggested stacking Co-Commons on top of each other but we need to experiment with it.

Mount Surabachi has been mentioned, surely that must have its own Co-Common because otherwise aircraft would go through it like they do with the skyscrapers, however, I have never actually come out of cloud in a fight and run into it so I do not know, anyone done that?

Anyway, time will tell if it is possible or not. :D

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 03:02:38 AM »

I managed to find the mesh of Mount Suribachi, it does actually have a collision mesh so if you run into it then goodbye to your aircraft. :D

The one with all the Blue vertices is the mountain itself, the other the Co-Common.

No reason I guess why you could not make a smaller version of this by scaling and then cut a hole in back and front
to put the tunnel through that Uzin would like, the tunnel itself could be a separate object.  The Co-Common could maybe
changed to two items as in the hangar.

More food for thought, hide this post from Eugene though, too many mad ideas in his head as it is. :D

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 04:23:08 PM »

Would probably have to make 3 co commons - left, right and top. Maybe even 4 - the back of the mountain, if the tunnel doesn't run all the way through.

The mountain would be a single object with the tunnel built into it and the tunnel interior made of reversed normals.

Leaving tunnels aside for a second... Speaking of large objects that need collision meshes, do the names Mohne, Sorpe and Eder mean anything to you?

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 06:09:32 AM »

Leaving tunnels aside for a second... Speaking of large objects that need collision meshes, do the names Mohne, Sorpe and Eder mean anything to you?

I think they are on a French released map, never did find out if they actually worked though.  ;)

Anyway, back to the mountain, a hole removed each side and two Co-Commons:

The hangar is the TypeC_1938 so you see that the mountain is not as big a object as I imagined, here I have
cloned the hangars and created a tunnel through:

It will be necessary to extract and test it to see if the idea works, if it does then it could allow map makers a
means to replicate areas on a map that actually have road and rail tunnels, the land could be flattened where
they would be and this object used possibly.

SAS~Malone

• Editor
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 08:26:58 AM »

...hide this post from Eugene though, too many mad ideas in his head as it is. :D

too late, i'm afraid. :D  gears are already in motion, thinking of the possibilities....
tunnels would be one of the last missing frontiers of IL-2, for sure ...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.