Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Gmax questions  (Read 12484 times)

Mission_bug

• Modder
Re: Gmax questions
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 02:52:16 AM »

Hello guys, the double texture thing I found when I added these to the game:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,47396.0.html

Take a look at the WIP thread, link in that page.

The riders and horses used two separate textures as did some of the buildings in the Geezer objects, most IL-2 stuff generally only uses the single texture
but as they were from another game maybe there was a reason their authors did it that way.

Hit boxes stacked one above the other could I suppose do the trick Mandrill, thank you for the thought, if I can find time I will experiment. 8)

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 06:33:07 AM »

Pete

The Aviaskins guys made a Pripyat set of 1970's Soviet buildings that includes a nice high rise apartment block. I can check how they managed the collision mesh. Or you could d/l the objects - which are extremely nice!!!! - yourself.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 02:10:53 PM »

Hello mandrill, I do actually have all those objects, thank you anyway. ;)

Mstislav from AviaSkins did some amazing murals for some of them based on artwork found on actual buildings where he lives. 8)

Strange thing is I also have some maps from the same source but as of yet I have not tried destroying the buildings on them. o_O

I feel a experiment coming along. :D

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 07:42:19 PM »

Hello mandrill, I do actually have all those objects, thank you anyway. ;)

Mstislav from AviaSkins did some amazing murals for some of them based on artwork found on actual buildings where he lives. 8)

Strange thing is I also have some maps from the same source but as of yet I have not tried destroying the buildings on them. o_O

I feel a experiment coming along. :D

The high rise is building S16 and it does have a collision mesh. I haven't tried destroying it either.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 01:10:58 AM »

Hello again, I managed to give it a try last night by both bombing it and flying the aircraft into it, the Co-Common works because the aircraft was destroyed, however, like previous tests this does not then add any kind of damage texture to the building which was a problem in a previous experiment with the Skyscraper mod see here
later in this thread:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,50438.msg550575.html#msg550575

It was only possible to activate something at the lower level.

What I am looking to do is have a dead texture actually appear when the building takes some kind of damage, however, from the earlier experiment while it was possible to get the Co-Common to work the damage texture would not appear so the question was really what kind of force was required for that and was there a game limit to how big the building could be in game to allow the damage texture to activate, ie some calculation of force and mass say determined by the impact of a object.

Zoran395

• Mapper
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2017, 07:57:33 AM »

You probably know about this one already, but for some light reading, very relevant info even if not for IL-2 but ToW:
http://pigeonh.free.fr/ToW/Creating%203D%20models%20for%20ToW%20Tutorial%20draft%200.2.pdf

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »

Hello Zoran395, I have not seen this tutorial before and will take a look through, thank you very much, really appreciated. 8)

vonOben

• Modder
  • Wer den Tod fürchtet, hat das Leben verloren.
    • vonOben's Flight Sim Mods
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2018, 12:51:33 AM »

Hi

Sometimes when I open a MshConverter 1.18 EX converted plane in Gmax some meshes are not correctly placed.  :(
I've followed the steps posted by Mission_bug.
When I open the hier.him in MshConverter everything is placed correctly.

Is there anything to do about it?

An example as shown in Gmax:

Thanks for any help!

Cheers

vonOben
vonOben's Flight Sim Mods  http://vonoben.free.fr/ Twenty Years online January 3, 2022!

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 07:21:34 AM »

Generally if I want to open a mesh in gmax I open it and save to 3ds and it will normally open okay.

There are times I have been asked to make objects IL-2 compatible and usually I ask for them to be sent to me as obj, however, I do not know why but sometimes one obj file will have the parts all over the place when opened and another all together as a complete object.

Another thing to be aware of is that parts such as rudder, aileron and other moving parts are centered in gmax and orientated a certain way so if you take a part from the game and save them as 3ds then open them in gmax that is usually where they will be rather than where you see them in game because your hier places them in the correct place on the aircraft.

Now I have never tried to actually open a complete aircraft, which is what I think you are describing, however, I would assume the parts that are out of place might have been extracted that way and later moved into position in the game with the hier so could still retain their original coordinates from where they were when extracted.

You would need to provide more information I think, complete aircraft?  Single meshes?

Please explain exactly what you did.

Anyway, somethings to think about, maybe others can step in and advise.

Hope that helps.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2018, 10:00:07 AM »

Okay, just for the experience I imported the Lysander back into gmax. ;)

I saved the hier to 3ds before and this is what it came out like after all the clips, dead and shadows
were removed. :D

Cleaning things up further you can see the position of my rudder and other control parts around
the centre so this basically confirms there is nothing wrong as far as my thoughts go.

So, yes parts not aligned is what I would expect for the import as I know from my model where they were
positioned for exporting.

vonOben

• Modder
  • Wer den Tod fürchtet, hat das Leben verloren.
    • vonOben's Flight Sim Mods
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2018, 12:28:03 AM »

Hi Pete

Yes it's a complete plane Albatros DI, and I just wanted to see how to model looks in a 2D view.

In MshConverter 1.18 EX I select "Export just mesh" and in Output > Filter Export only "Main mesh" is selected.
In Output Other (Max) Options is "Generate Hierarchy" and Limit name to 10 char" selected.
Then File Save to 3ds and the result when opening in Gmax as shown above.

I've now tried with obj format using the script "Wavefront OBJ Importer v1.1a" by Chris Cookson, but it gave an "Error reading OBJ file" and then "Runtime error: Out of scripter memory - use options to increase.

But I found the solution to fix that error.
In gmax.ini i increased the InitialHeapSize as shown below.

[MAXScript]
InitialHeapSize=100.000000

Now everything seems to be correctly placed:

Thank you very much for the tip Pete!  :)  :)  :)
vonOben's Flight Sim Mods  http://vonoben.free.fr/ Twenty Years online January 3, 2022!

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2018, 02:05:34 AM »

Okay. glad you are sorted out and happy. 8)

I just open the mesh or in the example above the hier and save to 3ds and import, the method you mention seems to be how my converter is set anyway, to limit to ten char but for me I cannot remember if it made any difference or not with or without.

I usually get two run errors when opening up gmax, from the video tutorial posted here that is normal, I also get one when I import the part using listener and the 3d import button.  Just clicking on the text in listener or on the screen gets rid of that, never did find why it happens, maybe I set up gmax badly originally.

Anyway, the main thing is you found a solution to the issue you reported, I guess there are various ways and each are valid. ;)

Take care.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 23 queries.