Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The I-16 Cup (Trophy)  (Read 1806 times)

EHood

• Supporter
The I-16 Cup (Trophy)
« on: May 23, 2017, 09:22:50 PM »

Here's a ten-year-old set of single, race course missions which might be well worth reworking for BAT compatibility:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2726

As the name of the set implies, the missions as is all have a version of the I-16 as the player aircraft. Offhand, I can think of at least a half-dozen aircraft types, from all four BAT modules, which would be excellent subjects for these race courses.

;D
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

nyali

• Supporter
Re: The I-16 Cup (Trophy)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 02:37:35 AM »

OMG I remember these being released, had a blast with this and some friends years ago...

Ivan-le-Rouge

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 04:53:57 AM »

So many memories with those races! The "heavy special" was so epic!

Captain Dawson

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 02:51:11 PM »

LOL Thank you for sharing!  :D  These are actually quite fun! Really tests your flying ability (or lack of which).

I can confirm that several of these already work in BAT.

I'd just love to see these on a HL server!  8)
"It's totally foolproof, until you mess something up." -Captain Dawson My OP rig: CybertronPC Palladium custom desktop computer, GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz 6M Cache Skylake Quad-Core, RAM: 8.00 GB, Motherboard: Intel H110 Chipset, SSD: 240GB, HDD: 1TB, OS: Windows 10

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 08:38:05 AM »

They are a hoot. Which is why I'm hoping that  figure out a way to make it possible to choose aircraft other than the designated I-16 as the player aircraft. The Gee Bees come to mind, along with the racing Corsairs, etc. Offhand, the only thing I can think of is to use the FMB to change the player aircraft. For most of us, presumably, this would mean a producing a separate mission for each aircraft type and course. Otherwise, the missions would need somehow to be arranged as per QMB missions, with a "push-button" selection. Perhaps the current, FMB/QMBPro-type briefing screen could be used for this. Have to give it a try.
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 09:03:52 PM »

Belated thanks, Captain Dawson.  ;D My own experiments have been going well so far. The player aircraft can indeed be changed out using the BAT briefing page. To date I've only tried this in WAW, with the P-51R, the F8F racer, and the F2G. The shots below are from the "MYTHIC Ring jour" mission:

For those not familiar with these missions, all were originally produced with air starts involving a TB-3-Zveno carrier bomber and an SPB version of the I-16. A replacement type for the I-16 will spawn separately, but of course the bomber still appears. The bomber is eminently ignorable, but if I were to rework the missions, I'd be inclined to produce a version of each with the bomber deleted:

It looks as if, for reworked missions, at least some of the objects forming the course might have to be shifted in order to accomodate aircraft larger than the I-16, a tedious but do-able job. In fact, I've had yet to work up the nerve to try flying even an F8F between the pylons, let alone a machine as big as the F2G. Some of the turn radii may have to be enlarged as well. The main thing is that the maps do work in BAT, the player aircraft can be changed, and I'm guessing that the maps would work in DOF, TGA. and JTW.

8)

EDIT: I just altered that last sentence. It's occurred to me that since the player aircraft is an I-16 Type 24, the missions as originally produced might not come up in DOF and JTW. The SPB versions of the TB-3 and I-16 are, however, included in TGA, so the missions should work there. In theory, anyway.

8)
A ya tsi-tsalagi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.