Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shallow water problem  (Read 3676 times)

fatty_finn

• Modder
  • "no idea"
shallow water problem
« on: April 16, 2017, 08:13:08 AM »

Hi all
image attached shows part of my Norfolk island map, which I am revising for a new map.
A snag has appeared though, that has me tossed.
I made a new Mymap_c, and processed in the usual way.
On the new map [seen here in 4.13.2, with modact], there are several areas around the land where I can NOT get shallow "coast" textures to appear, or get surf on the beach.
This is also how it looks in my 4.12 map making version.
Image shows a shallow-water grid I drew in the ocean to demonstrate the problem. The whole grid was drawn with the same Gimp [ver2.8] brush/colour setting, but the result is not consistent!
Seaward from the red arrows, only limited shallow water texture will appear. The problem appears to be very roughly like a square [or two], south of the island [south is at the top here].
[Northern end is OK.]   Green arrows show where all is working OK, including surf.
Any advice?
f_f

Zoran395

• Mapper
Re: shallow water problem
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 03:44:53 PM »

I would check the textures you are using on the coast or the tiny islands where you do not get the surf.
Did you check them already?

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 07:17:32 AM »

Check your conf.ini to see if your "water" value is set to basic or something more advanced.

fatty_finn

• Modder
  • "no idea"
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 09:59:31 PM »

Dear Zoran & Mandrill,
  Thanks for your help with this
re "check the textures...."  -are you suggesting some coastal textures will not allow waves?
I've always been confused about that. My experience is most of the textures I have used here do not inhibit waves.
eg Screenshot attached shows my Lord Howe Is map - which uses many of the same textures as Norfolk.
The LH island map [as released in 2016] has waves all around it - with the very odd exception of 2 very small bits of coast - enclosed by the pink frame here.
I cant get waves to appear here, or the shallow water offshore. Seems as if some sort of invisible bit of code is blocking waves & shallows in just one square section of the map - and most of that square is under the land!

regarding conf.ini setting : I was using Carsmasters waves, so had a water setting of 4.
When I turn that mod off, and change water setting to say, 2, I still have the " no wave" problem.
Any further suggestions ?
f_f

fatty_finn

• Modder
  • "no idea"
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 12:11:39 AM »

ahh - think I've solved it.
the map_c & map_t files were slightly mis-aligned.
Serves me right for "hand-building" these small  island maps!
with apologies
f_f

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 12:28:07 AM »

Cool, glad you got it sorted and thanks for sharing the solution.
Map building must be one of the most tedious section in IL-2, glad I've got no clue about it 8)
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 06:46:57 AM »

ahh - think I've solved it.
the map_c & map_t files were slightly mis-aligned.
Serves me right for "hand-building" these small  island maps!
with apologies
f_f

No apologies necessary. This is a mistake any of us could do - and probably will - and it is great to have someone work through the problem and find the answer.

fatty_finn

• Modder
  • "no idea"
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 07:33:32 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement chaps.
But it turns out I maybe solved only part of the problem, and the smaller part at that.
Bigger problem is this:
On checking through all my own textures: I see a lack of waves ONLY for  textures having a "-2" size index.
This may be related to the problem I raised earlier , in thread  "Map texture problem - is this a known bug?".
As noted there, if you use any texture at "-2" in map-maker, then "perfect" mode shifts the tile, about 1.6km from where you meant it to be.
On the coast though:
if the texture is shifted out to sea, you cant see the shift, because you only see water.
But seems  the shifted texture has some sort of "submarine" effect , in blocking  shallow water & waves! 
Simple solution: dont use "-2" textures  [except as "coast river", where -2 seems quite OK].
Il2 forever!
f_f
ps  looks like the -2 texture shift is always to the south & east. 

Zoran395

• Mapper
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 04:59:35 AM »

You are right "coast river" will have its surf killing effect irrespective of the depth of water.

The game engines reads the values of the pixels of map_t for that.

if the texture is shifted out to sea, you cant see the shift, because you only see water.

So you really need to check RGB values directly in map_t (in Gimp/Photoshop) and not rely on what you see in FMB+

On the side I am not a big fan of "-2" textures but I do use a few "2" ones, you get nice contrasts when assigned over a limited area...

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 24 queries.