Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: VPMedia Modpack The Perfect Companion  (Read 7587 times)

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Focus on the solution, not the problem.
    • Broadarrow Artwork
VPMedia Modpack The Perfect Companion
« on: April 07, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »

THE PERFECT COMPANION TO B.A.T.
B.A.T. explores the wilder side of Il2, as well as the expanded capability back to the Dawn of Flight and The Golden Age and forwards into the Jet Age.  B.A.T. World at War is highly modified and designed for only the latest campaigns written in this platform or converted especially for it.  Several campaign makers, including me, are having a ball with it right now.

The VPMedia Modpack stays with the WWII era and handles Il2 4:12:2m very well.  It avoids the more esoteric mods and deals instead with many cumulative improvements, from DGen to all standard textures.  This means that, even though it is a super looking modded install, a lot of older campaign material, and all of DGen, will remain compatible.  DGen is actually very much improved thanks to a lot of direct mission editing by VPMedia.  The VPMedia Modpack also provides a massive map expansion similar to B.A.T.

For those players wishing to re-explore older material, or those frustrated when their DGen missions crash in B.A.T. - You should consider running the VPMedia Modpack alongside B.A.T.  The perfect companion.

HOW TO INSTALL VPMEDIA MODPACK ALONGSIDE B.A.T.
Most people realise by now that a full B.A.T. install creates and utilises the following Mod Folders:
#DOF2 - #TGA2 - #WAW2 - #JTW2

The Modact Mod Folder #SAS remains clear:  This is the ideal place to install the VPMedia Modpack, which naturally uses this Mod Folder.

To do so you need all 16 parts of the VPMedia Modpack.  You then need to extract to your BAT Directory ONLY the folders - #SAS and SFS_AUTO. 

Next:  Extract the CONTENTS of the VPMedia 'JSGMEMODS' Folder to 'BATMODS'.  The new VPMedia Modpack options will show up in JSGME with the Prefix #SAS.

Next:  Extract to your BAT Directory the folders 'DGen' and 'Missions' along with the improved DGen.exe.  Allow overwrite.

Finally:  Open your original "il2fb.ini" with a text editor and change these lines:

; Mod Type No.2 (Zero-based Index = 1).
[Modtype_01]
Name=SAS MODACT 5.3
Help=SAS MODACT 5.3, mods reside in '#SAS' folder
Files=none
Mods=#SAS

to

; Mod Type No.2 (Zero-based Index = 1).
[Modtype_01]
Name=VPMEDIA MODPACK 1936-1946
Help= VPMEDIA MODPACK 1936-1946, mods reside in '#SAS' folder
Files=none
Mods=#SAS

You may now launch VPMedia Modpack from the same Selector as B.A.T.  It appears just after the listing for the Stock Game and is customisable from JSGME using the Prefix #SAS.

The VPMedia Modpack is an absolute delight - It feels crisp and clean and it was a wonderful surprise to enjoy somebody else's work for a change, without being deep into the structure for about a year beforehand.  I got an idea of the feeling people must get with their first running of B.A.T.  Best of all the improved DGen will handle anything you throw at it and, while newer mod campaigns are being made for B.A.T. there is plenty of scope for older material, and also new campaigns made for the VPMedia Modpack.

Thanks to VPMedia we now have the best of all worlds available for the modded Il2.

victor639514

• Modder
Re: VPMedia Modpack The Perfect Companion
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 05:26:03 PM »

This sounds like a wonderful thing indeed. ^ ^

Though I'll personally just stick to my 2 separate IL-2 installations. One for the VPModpack, and one for B.A.T. Kinda' helps me remain a bit more organized with my sound modding work and such. :P

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 05:35:34 PM »

I like it. :) Although I wish there was a torrent for VP's Modpack.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Gubi

• Flying Ass Clown #34
  • Modder
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 06:07:57 PM »

Monty,  Salut.

Years ago I met the "java wall" with my DBW.  What to do, most all of the mods were not in SFS yet?  I can't remember who it was, for some reason, I think it was BravoFoxTrot and I started talking.  With my beloved DBW, I edited my il2fb selector to read DBW 1916, DBW 1938, DBW 1939 and so on to DBW 1946 and proceeded to make each of the corresponding mod files (i.e. DBW 1942).  I, then, set "mods" to MAPMODS and voila, it worked.  When a new aircraft is introduced, it is a wonderful pain to add it into the applicable years.  Maps, for the most part, I only have to add once, as it is read by all of the modules from MAPMODS.  Sometimes map 3do files must also be added into each module, but that's OK too.  It appears with BAT that most, if not all, of the maps are in SFS now.

Thanks to you and VP for your dedication.

Cheers and prost
I am a moron.

gmkump

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 06:24:31 PM »

I've been using VP Modpack install, which sits right next to BAT, for exactly the reason you say, it plays a lot of the old stuff very well.  Heavy modded campaigns will always be an issue though, but doable if you don't mind finding and installing further mods, and sometimes, oh well, forget that one...

Still, I look to new campaigns on BAT since I think its more feature rich and optimizes off-line play.  It just keeps getting better too, and my goodness, dare I say, stable!   With its current state, it promises to be the platform to have for truly immersive play.  Like working radar for night fighter campaigns and so on. 

But got to keep flying, so VP Modpack is good one to have.  It totally replaced my other installs (except for BAT of course).  I also use it for DGen play, though they need to remove a lot of the campaigns that won't play because of missing files, etc.  Plenty that do play though.

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
    • Broadarrow Artwork
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 08:52:40 PM »

Monty,  Salut.

Years ago I met the "java wall" with my DBW.  What to do, most all of the mods were not in SFS yet?  I can't remember who it was, for some reason, I think it was BravoFoxTrot and I started talking.  With my beloved DBW, I edited my il2fb selector to read DBW 1916, DBW 1938, DBW 1939 and so on to DBW 1946 and proceeded to make each of the corresponding mod files (i.e. DBW 1942).  I, then, set "mods" to MAPMODS and voila, it worked.  When a new aircraft is introduced, it is a wonderful pain to add it into the applicable years.  Maps, for the most part, I only have to add once, as it is read by all of the modules from MAPMODS.  Sometimes map 3do files must also be added into each module, but that's OK too.  It appears with BAT that most, if not all, of the maps are in SFS now.

Thanks to you and VP for your dedication.

Cheers and prost

Cheers Gubi!  As you know what is often also over-looked is the fact that C.U.P. and now B.A.T. are 412 based.  The first and greatest hurdle was getting over the code changes, introduced by TD, that broke or changed so many mods.  New AI detection and bombsight animation in particular screwed many previous mods.  As we built C.U.P. we gradually converted what we could, with the help especially of 412 master-fixers like SAS~Epervier and Stefan SG.  Still people would post to the effect; "you have forgotten this mod for some reason" - That would send steam from my ears!  Nowadays it feels like we have caught up to the glory days of DBW and even gone beyond in many ways too.

I like it. :) Although I wish there was a torrent for VP's Modpack.

Well we are all on the same team Mark.  I agree we should organise it.  I think we should ask the great guru, Mike the "torrentmeister" SAS~Storebror to nail these together.  I hear he has some space free recently...  8)

Just been shaking down B.A.T. Expansion Pack Eleven today.  Loads of new 3D, map improvements and *.ini tidy ups.  It looks so beautiful and, because we are cleaning up as we go, performance has gone through the roof lately, improving with each expansion.

Anyway, we can't convert every old campaign or fix every DGen issue right away.  B.A.T. is out there and doing its thing so well.  The VPMedia Modpack manages to modernise the look of the sim with great attention to detail, enhances DGen and still keeps some of the older stuff alive.  They co-exist in my single install for another good reason - Disc Space!  ;D

victor639514

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 09:52:02 PM »

"Just been shaking down B.A.T. Expansion Pack Eleven today.  Loads of new 3D, map improvements and *.ini tidy ups.  It looks so beautiful and, because we are cleaning up as we go, performance has gone through the roof lately, improving with each expansion."

Can I just say that I am tingling with excitement for this upcoming Expansion? ;D Also, my enhanced soundset for JTW is close to being complete, same for the TGA soundset.

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
    • Broadarrow Artwork
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 11:01:11 PM »

"Just been shaking down B.A.T. Expansion Pack Eleven today.  Loads of new 3D, map improvements and *.ini tidy ups.  It looks so beautiful and, because we are cleaning up as we go, performance has gone through the roof lately, improving with each expansion."

Can I just say that I am tingling with excitement for this upcoming Expansion? ;D Also, my enhanced soundset for JTW is close to being complete, same for the TGA soundset.

Well now I'm jumping around as well Victor!  We have a great momentum lately with lots of modders, like yourself, helping us directly and really getting it done.  Edlor has been a big help lately and his J3 is the star of the show.  Its perfect and Ont_R's Bird Dog is a nice compliment too.  Plowshare pointed out the duplicates in Static.ini and that lead to a cascade of success - all the Spanish maps working properly in all modules now.

...and so on...  ;D

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 04:53:17 AM »

Thanks Monty, much appreciated!!

sixstrings

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »

Have a stock but fully updated version, VP modpack and BAT on my rig. Have many more on a external ssd.  Will be sticking with that setup but a good start if you don't have it yet. Really enjoy VP modpack as it is and with some missions for it. That is all that i modify within the installs so updating is easy and stable. Haven't had a crash since i read the manuals and researching this site and others. K.I.S.S.-(keep it simple stupid) is my motto. Mainly into WWII and it's here that  VP modpack shines. A must have. Thank you is just not enough. Regards,Scott

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
    • Broadarrow Artwork
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 10:04:23 AM »

Thanks Monty, much appreciated!!

Other way round mate.  Do you think we should talk to Mike and get a Torrent setup as well?

JG7_X_Man

• Missioneer
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 10:50:07 AM »

THE PERFECT COMPANION TO B.A.T.

Monty, what do you mean by " BAT Directory"?

I don't understand what your instructions are trying to tell me to do exactly"...You then need to extract to your BAT Directory ONLY the folders - #SAS and SFS_AUTO."?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.