Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: He-100V-8 Heinz Dieteler  (Read 3354 times)

Ta183Huckebein

• FAC #17
  • Modder
  • aka "Raven"
He-100V-8 Heinz Dieteler
« on: March 31, 2017, 08:24:19 PM »

On the 30th of March, 1939, the world aircraft speed record was shattered, and the He-100 rose to brief prominence, as the V-8 prototype of the He-100 project fighter, piloted by Heinz Dieteler, reached 746.6 km/h (463.9 mph), breaking the previous record holder (the Bf-109V-13)'s speed by nearly 100 mph.

The record was held only briefly, lost to the Me-209V prototype race plane on the 26th of April (and lost by only ~10 mph total), but it showed the great potential that the He-100 had, especially the speed that could have made it a world-class fighter aircraft. It was not to be, but this record stands as a testament to it's capabilities nonetheless.

Here, I present the V-8 prototype He-100, flown by Herr Dieteler:

Get it here: https://www.mediafire.com/?q1ihrpif6non04s

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
Re: He-100V-8 Heinz Dieteler
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 12:33:27 AM »

Very cool skin. Thank you very much  8) Looks cool in this color !
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

BlackAce7727

• BAT, UP, DBW
  • Skinner
  • Clown #77
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 04:34:13 AM »

Thankyou 183!

This was the OFFICIAL Aircraft he set the record in, however for the propaganda shots he was shown flying V5 (HE+BE). Which you may consider making later, because it's silver it won't be easy.

Let the victor be justice...

MIKEGTJK

• http://www.facebook.com/#!/michael.j.koebel
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 08:13:55 AM »

I would love to get your template

Ta183Huckebein

• FAC #17
  • Modder
  • aka "Raven"
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 08:53:04 AM »

My template? It's just the one available in the Templates downloads section here. I manually resize the  skins after making them, that's all.

And as for BlackAce, I'll put those He-100Vs on my to-do list!

MIKEGTJK

• http://www.facebook.com/#!/michael.j.koebel
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »

Oh man I didn't even notice it was there thanks a lot I'm going to get to work making some today

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 03:18:35 PM »

This is part of a page from my book about the He 100:

This was published in 2007. This is essentially a colorized version, executed by the great Tom Tullis, of one of my line drawings of the V8. I should also note that since the only known photos of this aircraft are in black and white, the colors Mr. Tullis used are based on sheer guesswork, and my guesswork at that. Of the few known photos of the V8 taken on the day Dieterle set the speed record,  only one or two show the aircraft in any detail, and neither shows anything of the empennage or, for that matter, much of anything of fuselage behind the cockpit. The paragraph immediately above the drawing explains some aspects of it. Otherwise:

-The wing root fillet panels, removable engine cowl panels, the nose ring, and the hatch over the hand-starter fitting were painted, but the color is not known. My guess was RLM 02 Gray.

- The putty filling the seams on the side of the cockpit and engine cowling are easily visible but, again, the color is unknown. According to my correspondents, the putty might have been gray, gray-green, or even rust-colored.

- Contrary to one of the flaws in my 2007 text, the control surfaces on the He 100 were covered in fabric. "Unpainted" fabric panels shown on some German aircraft were actually coated with some sort of red primer, which may explain the very dark coloration of the rudder in other photos of prototype and pre-production He 100s. I should also note that a few years after my book was published, I was given a Heinkel Company document which indicates that the rudder on the V8 may actually have been made of wood.

- The "Heinkel" name and maintenance stencils on the engine cowling can be seen in the above-mentioned photo. It seems safe to assume that the winged-H logo, as well as the truncated fin flash, would have appeared on the V8 during the speed record runs. Not incidentally, the red stripe for the fin flash was cut short so that it wouldn't cover the oil system cooling panel forming most of the fin.

The overall configuration of the empennage can be seen in two of the three known photos of the He 100 V8 taken when it was in the Deutsches Museum, in Munich. In the third photo, taken the morning after an air raid comprehensively destroyed the museum, bits of the wreckage of the V8 are identifiable.

The aircraft marked "42C+11" was in fact the short-lived He 100 V3. The V3 had the older, pre-production empennage, but it did otherwise strongly resemble the V8, and Huckebein's color scheme may not be far from the mark. Personally, I suspect that apart from the unpainted wing leading edges, the white fin tip and underside of the nose ring, etc., the aircraft may have been painted in RLM 62 Green on the upper AND lower surfaces.

Thank you Huckebein. It's good to FINALLY have an He 100 to fly, and your skins will enhance the experience.

8)
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

Hubberranz

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 05:41:31 PM »

I tried the "prototype" for speed in il2. After climb to 4898m, dived and achieved 808km/h.
Then in level flight at 1200m, could maintain 496km/h. Straight of the box, no management...

... I first wrote ..maneigement cause we had lot of wet snow today.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.