Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tired of lightning like muzzle flashes  (Read 4810 times)

fritzofpeace

• semi-erect
Tired of lightning like muzzle flashes
« on: March 18, 2017, 03:55:19 PM »

Is there a simple means of reducing the "bathed in yellow" glow in one's cockpit while firing your guns.
The Me-410 is a good example.
Perhaps a conf.ini entry?
Or a simple mod?
Suggestions welcome.

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
Re: Tired of lightning like muzzle flashes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 04:09:52 PM »

This problem exists for some aircraft. I do not remember the cause. A 3D problem of the cockpit? A problem with the "mat" files used in the cockpits?
Bref!
I have made some fixes for some aircraft: SM-79, ...
To reduce the "flash" of weapons it is necessary to modify the Java code of these weapons!
If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 08:49:47 PM »

The stock game of old had the ambient lighting from muzzle flashes as a really bright, neon yellow. The class files for guns controls this. Some time ago I obtained a mod for almost all guns which both toned down the intensity and made the color more orange than yellow. A great improvement.

But a remaining problem is how the game engine does not employ occlusions by intervening blockages, which makes things like the aircraft hull behave as though transparent. For example. The Pe-3bis has a pair of guns in a kind of flattened gondola on the belly. Whereas in real life the muzzle flashes could in no way light up the interior of the cockpit, in the game it's as though the floor is all glass, what with how well everything in the cockpit is lit up!

And so I would like to see the ambient lighting for muzzle flashes toned down even further.

And the same goes for other explosions. I mean, a 100 kg bomb flash lighting up the cockpit *during the daytime*, and when the plane is *a thousand feet* up!?! Gimme a break!
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 04:11:04 AM »

I not have pb in my UP2.01 !
I will check the Class ... but you can test this ... https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5gqtkz4jqce8h/Arms or https://www.mediafire.com/?mtums6vgv38zz97
If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:42:51 AM »

It's nice to know what one is downloading, and for which game version(s) it applies.

A link pointing straight to a Mediafire download with not even a simple explanation will not typically inspire me to click on it... ;)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:14:26 AM »

EVERYTHING I do is done for the Rebels!  ;)
But many things are compatible for Privateers / Ghosts / Imperialists / Dreamers (410/411/412/413) !
I give the names of the Classes so that you can remove those that would not be compatible!

fritzofpeace

• semi-erect
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 11:59:02 AM »

Having begun this thread and opened this bucket of worms, I sort of feel responsible for the problems.  I haven't added to the thread because I do not wish to make work for anyone.  You, Epervier, have done more for 409ers than anyone, and I certainly do not feel it right for me to ask any more than what you've already accomplished.  I downloaded the Weapons_De folder and placed it in my my mods folder. I definitely think it helped with the cockpit flash problem.  The issue seems to be with my Me-410, specifically the B model loadouts.  With the weapons folder in place, I guess roughly half the loadouts give the following error message in QMB:
Mission loading failed: INTERNAL
ERROR: Effect param file
'effects/smokes/Gun.eff' NOT loaded
Without your weapons folder, I do not get this error message, however, the cockpit yellow flash returns.
I do not post this to ask for any more effort on the issue, but to merely try to provide info.
Thank you, to all, for your help!!!

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 12:05:02 PM »

Try this attachment :
Put this file in Files/Effects/smokes/...   ;)

fritzofpeace

• semi-erect
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 02:45:00 PM »

Epervier, I'm such a novice 409er that, at first, your directions on where to put the Gun file confused me.  I found a folder labeled "FILES" in the game's main folder, but, within that, there were no Effects or smokes folders.
So I created them and stuck your downloaded file there.
IT WORKED!!!!!
I think I may now go through my mod folder and look for any effects files that may need to go in the Files folder.
Many, many thanks!!!
Decent flashes and all loadouts working in the 410!

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 03:47:37 PM »

I think I may now go through my mod folder and look for any effects files that may need to go in the Files folder.
It is not an obligation but a choice to make!
I group some elements in some folders (Files or MODS) to avoid duplicates!  ;)
But do not forget:
- the files are read in this order: Folder MODS... folder Files and finally the SFS!

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 03:51:12 PM »

... yep, Epervier is our Guardian Angel ...!  :D

Keep in mind that whatever is in your Mods folder has priority to whatever is in your Files folder (in case of doublons), I mean that if you have, for ex, a "cockpits" folder in your Files folder with, say, a Spit folder, and also  a "cockpits" folder with a Spit one in your Mods folder, then it is the one in the Mods folder that will be loaded and used by the game...  ;)

EDIT:

... our beloved Guardian Angel was faster that me ...!  :P

fritzofpeace

• semi-erect
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 04:21:02 PM »

Ok, guys, Mods gets read first, then Files.
I'm making my way through the various weapons, checking out how neat stuff looks now.
Thanks a ton!  :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 25 queries.