Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem in #JTW2 after installing BATEP07  (Read 3868 times)

bergkamp

• If you can't find it here, it doesn't exist
  • Modder
Problem in #JTW2 after installing BATEP07
« on: March 09, 2017, 03:31:12 AM »

I have come across a problem whereby I cannot launch the F9F Panther off of any carrier using a catapult since installing BATEP07. I have tested on the Essex Long Hulls and the Essex angle decks, with the same result, both ai and manual launch flop into the drink. Strangely, this only seems to apply to the Panthers, as I have successfully launched other types off of these carriers. See pics below:

F9F launch from Essex Angle Deck:

and Essex Long Hull:

Other types launched from Essex Long Hull:

As this problem seems only to apply to the Panther (as far as I can tell), I am wondering if something did not download correctly. As mentioned in the BATEP07.zip section, the reported download file size was Size: 1,768,494,765 bytes, Size on disk: 1,785,847,808 bytes. I am seeing a 1.32 gb uploaded file size at Mediafire, with size: 1,422,697,716 bytes and size on disk: 1,422,700,544 bytes.

Anybody else tested the Panther launch since downloading the file from Mediafire from March 8th?

Regards,

Bergkamp

SpongeBob

Re: Problem in #JTW2 after installing BATEP07
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 10:48:38 AM »

Hello, bergkamp.
Taking off from carriers is one of the things I love from IL2. It is quite challenging, and especially with F9F Panthers. I don't know if flight model is historically accurate, but I've found that taking off with F9Fs is really difficult.
However, after seeing your posts, I've made some trials.

I made a simple mission in a Korea map, using the USS Essex CV9 1957 as home base (I suppose this is the Essex angle deck you have mentioned).
Player plane is a F9F-2 Panther 1949. It is loaded with 2x500 lbs bombs and 6x250 lbs bombs (I reckon it is one of the heaviest loads possible). I have just BATEP07, no BATCATS installed yet.

I didn't manage to take off with 100% fuel load.
However, I was able to take of with 50% fuel load.

On deck, attached to catapult. Flaps on landing set, wings unfolded, elevator trim at maximum.

Throttle at 100%, wait and listen to the engine until it stops changing pitch, release chocks.
I pull joystick back almost at maximum:

Gear up as soon as you leave the deck. Flaps quickly in normal setting. Still pulling back the joystick:

Oops! Almost touching water! Cannot pull back further!!! Houston, we've got a problem!

Hey, take it easy. Situation going back to normal.

Pheew! Mission accomplished.

I admit it is a difficult task, but it is possible. However, it is fully rewarding once you managed it.
Good luck!

bergkamp

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »

Thanks for your time and effort, Bob. Problem is, as mentioned in my post, whether I launch or not, the rest of my ai flight just flop into the drink. I have been flying Monty's "Screaming Eagles" campaign in BAT patched up to part6 and there were no problems launching the Panther, both manual and ai, with full fuel and ordnance. Only since installing BATEP07 has this problem occurred.

Thanks and Regards,

Bergkamp

ashton1972

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 05:37:04 PM »

Same here, all other AI planes in flight go into the water. Seems the cat slows down halfway through its run.

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 09:44:29 AM »

I was launching Seahawks from the INS Vikrant today and also noted a significant difference to what it was before 07. It used to be a real no-brainer, now it is is manageable with very careful handling only, I ended up in the drink a few times. 80% fuel makes it much better, wasn't any issue before.
AI can manage, so playable in the end.

SpongeBob

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 01:54:48 PM »

Ok bergkamp, I understand what do you mean with AI take offs.
However, I think it is a matter of tweaking with load weight.
I've been trying, and it seem that taking off with F9F is a challenge even for AI. All AI planes went into water with full ordnance and 30% fuel load.
They managed to make a successful take off with the same ordnance and 20% fuel load (it was easier for me too).

With 30% fuel, but adding 5 m/s headwind made that two out of three AI planes succeeded to take off although one of them one sunk into the water. I didn't see what happens with ship speed, but it can also help (the higher the ship speed, the easier to takeoff).
I suggest you to tweak with ordnance, fuel load, ship speed and headwind until AI consistently succeed at taking off. If AI can, you should too.

Good luck!

bergkamp

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 06:42:26 AM »

Thanks Bob for your time and effort. But as mentioned, the problem launching the Panther under any load, did not exist in BATEP06 and the mission loadouts did not need any "tweaking" . It seems the latest engine mod shipped with BATEP07 has porked it.

Thanks and Regards,

Bergkamp

PhantomII

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 09:20:07 AM »

Hi bergkamp, I have done some testing with the engine mod and it seems to to be the March 03 patch that is causing this. I installed just the SAS_Engine_2.7.3w_full_20170218 version by itself and everything seems to be working fine.No problems with the F9F.

Hope this helps everyone.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »

Hi bergkamp, I have done some testing with the engine mod and it seems to to be the March 03 patch that is causing this. I installed just the SAS_Engine_2.7.3w_full_20170218 version by itself and everything seems to be working fine.No problems with the F9F.

Hope this helps everyone.

How about version 20170312 ?

PhantomII

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 09:47:15 AM »

Sorry Western, just noticed your new patch and everything seems to be working great. Thanks so much for your work. Much appreciated.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »

Sorry Western, just noticed your new patch and everything seems to be working great. Thanks so much for your work. Much appreciated.

Thanks your report, PhantomII !!

ashton1972

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 01:24:14 PM »

Tested latest patch, works great! Thank you!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 24 queries.