Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dynamic campaigns for BAT?  (Read 9869 times)

Emp_Palpatine

Dynamic campaigns for BAT?
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:58:28 AM »

Hi there,

After a decade (!!) of hiatus with IL2, I am back in town and downloaded BAT. I am just wondering wether there are some dynamic campaigns available for it? Any module will do too.
Or are previous campaigns compatible? I am quite lost, ten years after, with the mod scene.

Thanks!

Vampire_pilot

Re: Dynamic campaigns for BAT?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:04:45 PM »

all stock Dgen campaigns should work in WAW.

Emp_Palpatine

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 12:10:35 PM »

Thanks.

But what about others? I mean with all that's available, isn't there more? Like Northern Africa, Italy, western front, SCW, WW1... ? There were some 1940 project when I stopped IL2, for instance.

I also would like to play static campaigns.

Actually, my main problem is : among the scores of things I can find here or on mission4today, what's compatible with BAT? I don't want to frak up an install that took me two days.  ;)

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 12:50:29 PM »

compatibility issues exist between modpacks (UP3, DBW; CUP...). planes, objects, maps. BAT is so new practically no specific content exists yet.
you must check and experiment on your own. check what planes are used, what maps. there is no fire and forget solution for this. but after 10 years you have catching up to do;)

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 12:53:43 AM »

But as BAT contains practically EVERYTHING bar the proverbial kitchen sink most old campaigns should work. Bar one thing: I know that in CUP some columns from the old game were missing. I don't know if that oversight has been fixed here.
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

Emp_Palpatine

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 04:45:16 AM »

So, it's trial by error I guess. Let's do this.  8)

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 08:41:19 AM »

Actually Poltava, it does not. Yet, at least.

For example there are no shippacks in BAT, I have encountered a great many vehicle incompatibilities in missions in my folders so far (specifically shippack ships but columns too. coming from DBW environment myself)

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »

I believe that there are differences in loadouts also, even between CUP and BAT. I am updating my own dynamic campaigns now but testing takes time.

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 10:08:23 PM »

I only noticed different loadouts from old versions of new jet era mods, like Phantom, Crusader and such. Haven't run across dreal breakers in WAW yet.
If you stick to stock DGEN campaigns in WAW you should be good for starters.

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 12:21:55 AM »

I only noticed different loadouts from old versions of new jet era mods, like Phantom, Crusader and such. Haven't run across dreal breakers in WAW yet.
If you stick to stock DGEN campaigns in WAW you should be good for starters.

Stabilising the Jet Age, loadouts, FMs, hooks and Engine MOD has been a loooooooong road.  While CUP did a lot to help develop the Jet Age it is in B.A.T. that we are beginning to reach a stable point.  By B.A.T. Expansion Nine we will be presenting stability and the latest, all fixed, code for many areas. 

As mods developed code, objects and even component names were changed (beyond our control).  Missions made in earlier environments would inevitabley go obselete.  One of our core goals with B.A.T. is to stabilise the mission environment.  Anything being made fresh in B.A.T. now, or converted using the B.A.T. tools and setups, will remain forward compatible as long as we have B.A.T.

That's why my campaigns are being released again, 56 of them this week.

There was some good stuff in the past, although don't ever forget that earlier campaigns, however good they seemed at the time, lack so many of the resources we have now.  To a practiced eye most look a bit bare these days.  The well written ones are worth an upgrade but nobody wants to go backwards.

Regarding DGen, there is a modded DGen system out there and its perfectly feasible to test it in B.A.T.  Default DGen is un-touched.

However, when you know your way around the new FMB, when you have started to skin statics, place sound effects, work out parking and taxi-pathways, define formations and patrol waypoints and introduce variable weather, AI skill, Ground Control Intercept, Artillery assignments.  When you add this to the largest flightline in Il2 history, with more vehicles and tanks and ships too.  Anything else is, frankly, poor fare by comparison.

Some mods were changed and some didn't work as smoothly when added to the later versions of Il2.  When people question "why was this mod left out or missed? - Please bear in mind that I added and tested every single mod, well over 1000 new aircraft tested, more than 400 new maps and countless vehicles, objects, ships and tanks, to a vanilla 4:12:2m, personally, one by one, over a period of 4 years, to get to where we are now.

It was not a smooth progession either.  The new code broke some things and changed others.  It was a very bumpy road at times.  Thousands upon thousands of details, over several years, to get to where we are now.  Despite all this I still listen to further requests, and still try to rescue and reinstate many old mods alongside the new ones.

The great thing is that in the process of this building our small core team has received so much assistance.  We attracted some criticism, at first, but we have also made many friends.  So many great modders have joined us and recognise the legacy we are attempting to build and keep.  The B.A.T. network of expertise and go-to guys is really impressive these days.  This thing has grown way beyond what any of us could have imagined!  ;D

B.A.T. is, above all else, a mission makers toolkit.  We have spent a long time building the toolkit in order to make better missions, to fly and tell stories.  The new material that is coming will be head and shoulders above just about anything we have seen so far.  Some B.A.T. Campaigns will be illustrating flights that are not possible with any other setup.

Anything old that no longer cuts it, but was well written and interesting, is worth opening up in FMB and sorting out.  Me and many others are making those new missions for B.A.T. and rescuing , and upgrading, plenty of old ones too.

JimmyBlonde

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 08:08:35 AM »

The best way to get DGen campaigns working is to learn to read the error log and how the file system works (What each file contains and how it is used by DGen) There are some rudimentary DGen guides out there to help you.

All of this is possible if you're prepared to poke around but be sure to create backups! DGen will break your balls sometimes.

gmkump

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 09:14:33 AM »

SAS~Monty27, your and others work is greatly appreciated.  I really enjoyed reading your reply and its beyond me how you keep track of it all!!!  What an immense task!  Just an incredible effort and an astounding result. 

I'll wait patiently for BAT campaigns, it will be worth it.  Can't thank you enough for bringing BAT into our lives! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 24 queries.