Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Dedicated Great War awards and ranks  (Read 18449 times)

lyteyr

Re: Dedicated Great War awards and ranks
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2017, 09:13:04 AM »

Well done, Bob!  I can see a lot of research went into this work, and the manual is on par with anything that was written for BAT thus far!  Two thumbs up!!!  Thank you.

lyteyr
(Ron)

SpongeBob

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2017, 01:08:42 PM »

Thank you very much, Ron. All this work is worth if it pleases IL-2 users like you.
I'm sorry that my real job keeps me busy and away from IL-2. I am now working on German medals, but the task is complex and time consuming. I hope I finish it soon.

Thanks for the compliment!
SpongeBob

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2017, 11:35:38 AM »

Does anyone have a good German medal set with awards.properties file?

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2017, 11:24:11 PM »

Well, here's what I made then.

A set of German WK1 awards and medals alongside the Austrian ones you should already know if you downloaded my K.u.K. campaigns

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8nwkjbobnm5hsfe/WK1_DE_AT_awards.zip

CDS025_DOGO

• Saludos Camaradas
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2017, 11:24:21 AM »

Thank you for your work and time.
Going down   :) :) :)

SpongeBob

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2017, 03:16:02 AM »

Well, finally I finished the German set!!!
I'm sorry for the long delay, but preparing this set was rather hard, I spent one month abroad, and also my job and family demand some time.
I've updated the corresponding links in the first post:
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,54007.0.html

Thanks to vampire_pilot for sharing his work. However, I wanted to finish my part in order to keep the same 'art-style' in all my award sets.

As other IL-2 users had reported, the German award system is very confusing, because after German unification, many states still preserved their own medals, and they were awarded generally to residents or native to these states. Moreover, I think that the German Air Service had a very 'individualist' character, at least much more than British Air Forces. That resulted in a set of rather 'unique' careers for German pilots, so it is difficult to make a common scheme for them.

So I decided to prepare a standard set that could fit to any German pilot, but at the same time I didn't want to forget real legends such as Manfred von Richthofen and Max Immelmann. Thus, I also made special sets that fit as best as I could to these famous aces. You can select them via JSGME, and revive their outstanding careers.

Here you have a preview of my new set of medals, and I hope that you like them:

German standard set:

Immelmann set:

Richthofen set:

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2017, 09:09:27 AM »

Very nicely done!

while I have chosen a different approach for the awards  everyone can now chose as they please

I went with the cup as first as this seemed to have been awarded for first aerial victories usually and set the Pour le Merite equal to the Knights cross on position 4 so it's not impossible to reach with the campaigns we have at hand. Awards 5 - 8 are almost all out of reach in the campaigns we have I think.

SpongeBob

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2017, 10:35:06 AM »

Thank you vapire_pilot. Yes, now we have different sets of medals to choose. In fact, I thought of adding your set as a JSGME additional option, so the user can select whatever option we wants just with a click. If you don't mind, I can update my sets to include yours.

Concerning the possibilities of the player to obtain most of the awards, you are right too. I've tried what I think is a good solution. It consists in joining two Monty's campaigns together, provided they belong to the same service and year. For example, French 1914_DEMARCATION and 1914_RACE. Thus, you have twenty missions for the same campaigns, and more opportunities to obtain the necessary points to get medals.

However, as you say, awards 5 - 8 are too 'expensive' and it is almost impossible to get them. To solve this, campaign makers should design missions in which the amount of points obtained in each mission is progressively higher and higher. This would be very difficult by bringing down planes or bombing targets, but it can be done by placing a lot of primary targets (about 10-20 or even 50) one above the other in some strategic places (say, at the airfield as landing targets, or reccon places). Once the player 'touches' these targets, he obtains enough points to get the last medals.
I don't think it is cheating, just remember that some WWI pilots were awarded with a medal just by making a succesful reccon mission.

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2017, 10:53:14 AM »

I pointed out all of this to Monty so maybe there's going to be integration into BAT packages if he choses to do so...

Quote from: SpongeBob
, just remember that some WWI pilots were awarded with a medal just by making a succesful reccon mission.

Oh and not only in WW1, even today, since doing recon is one of the most dangerous mission profiles often. But it is clear that Il2 was written as a fighter jock game primarily :P

darky1958

• Ne discere cessa.....
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2019, 01:09:15 PM »

Hallo

Thank you for an importatnt infos.
Code: [Select]
I recommend to set all Great War campaign in AwardsDEfighter mode. You can safely change this before starting a campaign.

Two questions:

1. whether it can be used during the campaign or after ?
2 whether this trick works with other game modes such as DBW

greetings

Darky

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
  • In memory of my beloved hero: Saburo SAKAI!
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2022, 09:38:35 AM »

Hi!

I revamp this tread because I'm working at a similar project:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,64867.0.html

ATM I have done all (4) the new blue nations (files ready for single missions , static Campaign and future inclusion in DGen Campigns) and I'm starting with the red ones....

Our main difference are in:

- Ranks suddivision , where I have limited them at the historical highest flying position and where I have planned to use the term 'seasoned' to differenciate them (especially in British system where the lower pilot rank is sub leutenant and the higher was Capitain....

- Awards images , because I based mine from real medals and not drawings them....

But as you have done a great work about red nations I think that I could use part of your work and merge it with mine , if you agree obviously , and absolutely giving you full topic and readme credit!

Waiting your reply please accept my greatest congratulations for this great and stunning work!

My best reagrds!

walter

SpongeBob

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2024, 02:26:12 AM »

Hi Walter,
I'm so sorry for the long, long delay. I've been out of business for the last past years. The job and the family have kept me rather busy, and in my little free time, I've been involved in other hobbies.
I miss flying, so I dropped in here to remember old times, and I've seen your message.
Maybe it's too late, but if you are still interested, please, feel free to use my work without restraints. It will be an honour to see it still alive!

Best regards!

Pablo
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.