Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Addin VP Modpack  (Read 2014 times)

JG51_Ruski

Addin VP Modpack
« on: January 30, 2017, 04:36:23 AM »

Can the VP Modoack be added into a BAT install or is there no reason to use it with BAT??? Thanks for any replies
Semper Fi

Captain Dawson

Re: Addin VP Modpack
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »

Can the VP Modoack be added into a BAT install or is there no reason to use it with BAT??? Thanks for any replies

While you *could* potentially take mods from one and move them to the other, I wouldn't recommend mixing VP and BAT. They are two different modpacks with different goals in mind, and as such, they are built different ways. BAT is a massive compilation of nearly all the aircraft, ships, vehicles, and maps available, while VP has fewer mod aircraft and only the best maps, many of which VP has re-textured beautifully. BAT can be used for 4 eras of flight from 1916 to 2016, stock VP is only WWII. VP has many excellent aircraft re-skins, which BAT does not have. BAT has the vast majority of its mods packed into SFS files I believe, which allows for smaller size and generally makes it simpler. Of course this makes it a little more difficult to view or change the mods (in my opinion). VP Modpack has its mods in an open file structure, as CUP used to be. This makes it easier to see what's actually there and remove mods you don't like. Simply put, BAT is far beyond the scope of VP in content, while VP has many better textures and mods.

Why did I mention these differences which you probably already know? As you can see, these two modpacks have very different mindsets, so they are not exactly compatible, and I think most people would agree with me here.

That being said... Technically the only thing BAT doesn't have that VP does is a some mods, map re-paints, and new default skins. You could potentially add these components to BAT, since they are reasonably simple to access in VP. This would be a very long and painstaking process however, and you would have to deal with many conflictions. Remember that the modpack creators have maximized their packs for optimal performance. I find it much better to simply use both VP and BAT and accept both their mindsets. I mostly use VP for WWII combat, and BAT for Spanish Civil War and Jet Age combat. If you like one better, use that one more. That's a very profound statement right there.  :P

Long answer for a short question.  :D
"It's totally foolproof, until you mess something up." -Captain Dawson My OP rig: CybertronPC Palladium custom desktop computer, GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz 6M Cache Skylake Quad-Core, RAM: 8.00 GB, Motherboard: Intel H110 Chipset, SSD: 240GB, HDD: 1TB, OS: Windows 10

FNRennier

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:41:32 PM »

Long answer for a short question.  :D

Perfect answer!  ;)
=FN=Rennier

raptor_9090

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 01:07:53 PM »

Dawson's reply is very accurate. BAT has practically all the content ever made for IL1946, but without a specific focus agewise. VP Modpack is created with the goal of providing the best ww2 immersion with the best maps and campaigns for the ww2 experience.
As i see it, BAT offer a excellent open platform for people that like to create their own missions and campaign modders, due to the tremenduous range of choice of maps, planes and objects. If you are interest in flying a WW1 Biplane to a 4th age jet fighter and feel  the evolution of military aviation, BAT is really heaven.
I have both of them (but on different Il2 installs). I use VP modpack for late WW2 american and luftwaffe campaigns, while i use BAT for WW1, Spanish Civil War, early WW2 campaigns/pacific theatre and Jets age.

I believe including VP modpack content in the same install would result in conflicts as they were created with different goals, and to make that work would require too much hard-work for you. So imo you should have both. If you have more than 200GB of free space you shouldn't have any trouble installing both on different IL2 1946 installs.

Captain Dawson

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 01:35:40 PM »

Dawson's reply is very accurate.

Thanks  :D

If you have more than 200GB of free space you shouldn't have any trouble installing both on different IL2 1946 installs.

200GB Free is good. I have a 240GB SSD, and I am certainly running out of space with both VP and BAT on it along with the operating system! Had to reduce 20,000 paintschemes to under a few hundred.  ::(  If you want your skins on multiple installs, it very quickly eats up space!
"It's totally foolproof, until you mess something up." -Captain Dawson My OP rig: CybertronPC Palladium custom desktop computer, GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz 6M Cache Skylake Quad-Core, RAM: 8.00 GB, Motherboard: Intel H110 Chipset, SSD: 240GB, HDD: 1TB, OS: Windows 10

DougW60

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 06:42:16 AM »

Didn't someone, a long time ago, stated that he was able to have a common Skin folder used by multiple Il-2 installs?

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 07:01:42 AM »

Dawson's reply is very accurate.

That was my first thought too. :)

Captain Dawson

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 10:20:30 AM »

Didn't someone, a long time ago, stated that he was able to have a common Skin folder used by multiple Il-2 installs?

If someone finds the link to this, please share it with me.  :)  I miss my paintschemes!

SAS~Gerax

• SAS Team
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »

that was me, thread is here:
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,34906.0/nowap.html
i7-4790K 4.00GHz, Asus Z97 Extreme 6, 16GB DDR3; 750GB SSDs, 2TB SSHD, 8TB int.+ext.HDs; Sound Blaster ZxR; Nvidia GTX 980 4GB, Acer 3840x2160 GSync; Win7 64bit. Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Saitex Throttle Quadrant. Beyerdynamic DT880 Headphones.

Captain Dawson

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Focus on the solution, not the problem.
    • Broadarrow Artwork
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 08:14:56 PM »

+1 An excellent reply from Captain Dawson - thank you very much!

SAS~Gerax

• SAS Team
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 09:19:21 PM »

What would be possible is to integrate vp-modpack into bat ie as replecement for BATs #SAS folder.
With a 'little bit' of renaming/moving/etc (AUTO_SFS folder), editing vpmps .rc file, taking care of the
different dgen folders, taking care of the patches, etc, etc, etc, its doable.
So you would have only one IL-2 dir with both BAT and VPMP, to start via (edited il2fb.ini) selector.
But is it worth all the efforts? I would say: no.  ;D
No, better to have two IL2 dirs, one for bat, one for vpmp and ie share the paintschemes
via symbLinks to spare some HD space. This makes less headaches.  :D

i7-4790K 4.00GHz, Asus Z97 Extreme 6, 16GB DDR3; 750GB SSDs, 2TB SSHD, 8TB int.+ext.HDs; Sound Blaster ZxR; Nvidia GTX 980 4GB, Acer 3840x2160 GSync; Win7 64bit. Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Saitex Throttle Quadrant. Beyerdynamic DT880 Headphones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 26 queries.