Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Finsgulf Winter - my re-texturing  (Read 5345 times)

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
Finsgulf Winter - my re-texturing
« on: January 25, 2017, 09:35:09 PM »

I have been trying for a while to find a good combination of textures for the Finsgulf (Leningrad) map.  Thanks to vpmedia and cyberolas textures, I think I have finally done it.  IMHO, the previous versions of the map were too gray and dark.  I have flown over Russia during winter and, from the looks of it, real snow is white!  :D  It can even blind you because it is so WHITE.  Anyway, cyberolas' Stalingrad winter map portrays snow very well so I used his textures for the fields and then used vpmedia's city and village good quality textures (a couple from his new Murmansk version).

Thanks so much to vpmedia and cyberolas for their great textures!  All the credit should go to them.  I just toyed around for a few hours trying to put textures into correct slots.

Version 2
*Changed the load_w file so that there are no rectangular/square agricultural fields.
*Changed some textures that were 3mb to 1mb.

DOWNLOAD:  https://www.mediafire.com/file/rjle16d12je2jt6/Finsgulf_by_cztx_v2.zip

Note:  It's best not to fly at noon/12:00 and it's the same as for any winter map.
In my opinion the best time to fly is 2pm or maybe 1:30pm for the best light...especially best in February.  November, December, January are a little darker, obviously for the winter solstice.

Leningrad 2 by CzechTexan, on Flickr

Leningrad 3 by CzechTexan, on Flickr

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
Re: Finsgulf Winter - my re-texturing
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 01:09:29 AM »

Looking relly GREAT! This is probably the map I've flown over the most, and this makes for a very good upgrade of this indispensable oldie!!!  :)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

Emilio_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:55:51 AM »

GREAT!!! Good job CzechTexan. I love winter maps, and we (my virtual squadron) are fliying a Coop campaing using this one.
Is it possible to download and use it?
Thank you for your job!!

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »

Thanks for the enthusiasm guys!  I agree with Poltava.  This is an old map and it may not be all correct with placement of airfields, etc., but it is still good for all the many old missions made for it.  My particular version may not be the best but it can substitute until there is a better version.  I was hoping for Kapteeni's new map which would show more of the eastern region but it looks like that may never come to fruition.  This map, as with most maps, has limitations but it is still very useful.

Emilio_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 06:23:29 AM »

Sorry, but It doesn´t work to me.
Y put the mapmods in my Mods folder, but when I try to open this map in the FMB, it fails at loading some textures and the route to the map....
Maybe you have changed something else in your instalation or we need any other file? Anybody have tried?

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 07:34:25 AM »

I forgot to say that I made this in the  vp Modpack so there may be some differences in the name pointing to the destination of the files.  Sorry to say, but I didn't give much attention to those details.

Has anyone got this working in vp Modpack? 
I'll have a look and see what I can do for different setups.

EDIT: I looked at the names for the destination/location and all looks OK.  I did notice that vpmedia's textures were 3mb in RGB mode - which might cause problems with memory.  I changed those to 1mb indexed mode which is normal.  I will upload the new package and post the download in the first post.
Well, Now I can not get Mediafire page to load on my computer!  I'll upload when it's working.  Please be patient.

PhantomII

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 01:59:24 PM »

Are there any QMB missions for this map? Thanks in advance.

magot

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »

Looking good there :)

PhantomII

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 03:22:53 PM »

Map really looks good, many thanks.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »

Are there any QMB missions for this map? Thanks in advance.
This is just a re-texture of the stock IL-2 map so all the Quick missions will work.

Thanks to everyone for the nice words.  This is just a temporary attempt until someone else can do better.  I just traded messages with Mixx and asked him to re-do this Finsgulf map  ;)  He mentioned that some of the textures are not right for this map.  Perhaps he can fix it.
We'll wait and see, but 'til then we can use this one.

PhantomII

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 03:53:32 PM »

OK, thanks for the reply.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 07:35:36 AM »

Ok, I finally have Mediafire site working on my computer.  I uploaded version 2.  See first post above for the download.
*Changed the load_w file so that there are no rectangular/square agricultural fields.
*Changed some textures that were 3mb to 1mb.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.