Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: WxTech Wildcats cockpit mod for stock Wildcats, Ver. 4, Sep 9, 2020  (Read 48503 times)

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
Re: WxTech Wildcats cockpit mod for stock F4F-3 and F4F-4/FM-2
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2017, 02:36:33 PM »

Glenn, I have stumbled across this issue many times when I tried to edit and add mirrors to certain planes like F-86s, F-80s, P-51A/Bs...it seems a part of the outside is reflected on the mirror AND a part of the inside, where the latter almost drove me crazy in the F-80...there, depending on the modpack, IN cockpit mirror posit and seat 3D and the outside back area 3D, you get different and partially artefactual images in the mirror.
On the F-84 e.g., with latest meshes, the head of the pilot tended to be in the way as well, which is not common on all cockpits again.

The internal to external 3D relation is beyond my perception.
Maybe someone else can help here, I would be interested for the F-80.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2017, 01:07:58 AM »

I've made some progress on the canopy. The transition between the straight, nearly vertical sides and the commencement of the curve into the upper portion has been made much more gentle. The upper curve, which until now was modeled as too squashed down and flattened, has been smoothly raised so that it now peaks 2cm higher. The mirror has been raised 1.5cm.

The foremost section, namely that around and including the armored glass frame, has not been redimensioned, as I feel it's OK proportion-wise. More so now, in the larger scheme, in that the forward-upper perspex section which attaches to the upper armored glass frame now has a more realistic bulging 'bubble' aspect. It now remains to reflect these changes in the external model, which kind of work I leave to other folks. ;)

Even if no further work is undertaken, this alone makes a notable improvement for anyone like me who pays close attention to details of proportion. For anyone who's flown the Wildcat a lot in this game, the difference should be immediately apparent.

This was undertaken only after much careful study of numerous photos of the interior and exterior.

I'm now contemplating adding extra vertices on the curves so as to smooth the lines.

And I'm thinking of trimming some width off some of the framing, which in places is clearly too 'fat.'
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Peter Lynn

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2017, 06:49:43 AM »

The problem I reported above re the -3 cockpit view has been rectified. It seems in CUP the WxTech cockpit files need to be in the SAS file and the Barnsey revised F4f model in the WAW files for some reason....now they all work! Thanks to everyone who took an interest in this topic. Just hope I have not wasted anyone's time.

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2017, 07:15:41 AM »

Barnesy has just released another cockpit fix, dated today 3.41 a.m, but I haven't yet been able to test it ...  ;)

karo

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2017, 03:58:53 AM »

Barnesy has just released another cockpit fix, dated today 3.41 a.m, but I haven't yet been able to test it ...  ;)

I put it to the test. It is nice. I even tried to match it with WxTech's cockpit, but without a positive result :(   I hope that guys (WxTech and Barnesy) will do some "deal" for a benefit of a SAS community :)

The cockpit with WxTech's textures (glass, gunsight and all holes fixed) and Barnesy's frames would be a perfection ...

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2017, 07:04:18 AM »

... try this :

Keep WxTech cockpit, add/replace Body.msh and Canopy.msh from Barnesy's mod ...

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2017, 11:34:20 AM »

Barnsey's improved canopy uses the old texture mapping, which cannot produce the proper visual appearance due to my doing some remapping and adding a whole new texture.

But fear not!

I'm working on a better canopy, which will be *much* improved and more realistic in terms of overall height and frame width (thinner in many places, which happily reduces obstruction.) The -3 is almost finished, and the -4 will follow quickly enough.

I'll re-release the whole shebang, to completely supplant the first version.

If Barnsey or Geronimo then want to do their smoothing work on the curves, there will be no objections from this quarter! ;)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

karo

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2017, 12:38:17 PM »

Nice! I cannot wait ;D

Some movies that can be helpfull for you my friend:

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2017, 05:20:49 AM »

Hi WxTech,

Thanks again for this wonderful cockpit mod.
You might have read about the "Flying Ass Clowns", our old grumpy SAS sim pilots squad that meets every sunday on our gameserver.
Many of us have implemented your cockpit mod in our Ultrapack 3 game installations and we're all blown away!
You should have heard the excitement on Teamspeak when the first mission with Wildcats came up after we've installed this pit - wonderful! :)

Cheers!
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »

Well, Mike, you'll like it even more when my improved canopy is added--and especially after Barnsey or Geronimo do their curved smoothing magic...

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2017, 10:54:48 PM »

Yes, the wildcat finally becomes a real beauty.
Nothing to argue about Barnesy's 3D improvements, the one thing that kills the fun with them (at least for me) is the burden coming along with the "better" pilots they always contain.
Only because of this, the planes are
  • Incompatible with UP3
  • Not suitable for online use because of excessive poly counts
  • Not suitable for PCs not running in "perfect mode" because of excessive poly counts
  • Not suitable for our squad because the pilots can't be skinned

If the pilots would come along as an optional addon (I know there are users who love them and that's all fine and granted), the plane's 3D improvements would see a much wider spread usage.
But that's Barnesy's decision, I can deal with it ;)

Your cockpit mod looks great, with or without the rest.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

FANATIC MODDER

• Modder
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2017, 02:10:39 AM »

Very nice cockpit, thank you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 23 queries.