Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confusion And A Few Questions About CUP Setup (Torrent Download)  (Read 2353 times)

Aristo

Confusion And A Few Questions About CUP Setup (Torrent Download)
« on: December 03, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »

Hey guys,

I know there are extensive materials on how to proceed with installation step-by-step, which I've read all and in a way that's one of the things that confused me.

First of all I should mention that I've downloaded the files through torrents provided here (https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,47308.0.html). Which has caused me great sorrow because I found out that they've been updated only minutes after I finished downloading 45-something-gb worth of files with my slow internet.
Now I start all over again.

That being said I don't now why it's not the default way of dowloading these things. I can't imagine the tedium of downloading files that large, in 68-odd parts.

Anyway, this is where I've encountered one of the first sources of my confusion. It says in the step-by-step guide here (https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,47647.0.html) that the total file size is 61.7gb, whereas the files I have (had) totals 45.8gb.
It says when extracted it's 45.2gb, however my game folder only weighs 17.6gb including the game and the ModAct.
It says the total number of files in the Maps Module is 76, whereas I have 15. This goes for other modules too.

What's more, in this guide it tells us to install the Modular Map Extension in step 10, however in almost all other materials, including the manual it says to install first. It also seems like the step-by-step guide in the link has been written with the opposite order (Maps first) in mind because when you install the Maps module last you don't have to delete #DOF, #TG, #WAW, #JTW, since you can just skip them and install the ones in CUP Safety Net. There is also no CUPSOUNDS.sfs to delete, where it says it is.

After extracting every module right in the game folder, the manual says I should have a jsgme screen that looks like this:

Whereas what I have is this (after manually importing the files into jsgme):

Clearly something's amiss and it feels like that should be a lot of files.
I only downloaded the torrents because Storebror declared "...The Torrent files hold exactly the same data as the CUP Module downloads from other sources." back in 28 August, but it looks like they actually don't.

Another explanation may be that the step-by-step guide is spectacularly out-of-date.
I don't know, I'm starting to fry my brain trying to make sense of all this. Can someone help me please?
Thanks.

Christian

Unrelated P.S.: Is there a way for me to change my forum name myself? Or do I have to tell a mod about it?

nyali

• Supporter
Re: Confusion And A Few Questions About CUP Setup (Torrent Download)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 07:14:42 PM »

the Map module is listed as module 1 simply because EVERY other one , DOF WAW TGA etc NEEDS it to be installed BEFORE they will work.

Looking at your JSGME image, it looks like your folders are in the wrong place.....

Aristo

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 07:33:27 PM »

the Map module is listed as module 1 simply because EVERY other one , DOF WAW TGA etc NEEDS it to be installed BEFORE they will work.

That's apparent. However since there is a dedicated thread that looks relatively current, explaining how to install the thing
I went with that.

In the end, it looks like the sequence is not that important as long as it is there, since they're all self-contained.
I think there are bigger problems than the sequence in which I put them in my folder. The sheer difference in size for one.

Looking at your JSGME image, it looks like your folders are in the wrong place.....

That's because like I said in the previous post, I put them into the jsgme folder myself because they weren't doing anything on their own in the main IL-2 folder.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 01:27:44 AM »

I think there are bigger problems than the sequence in which I put them in my folder. The sheer difference in size for one.
The size difference is because you only have the "old" torrents where many parts are missing.
Nevertheless you don't need to download all of this again.
The current torrents hold the very same files like the old ones, plus new parts on top.
You can download the new torrent files and run the torrents in the same download location where you've downloaded the old ones to.
That way your torrent program will (should) recognize that the old parts are completed already and will only grab the new ones.

Once you've finished downloading the "up to date" torrents (2016-12-02 at the time of writing this), use this:
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,47647.0.html
guide for installation, it's the most comprehensive and the easiest one to follow since it boils down to:
Extract Modules 1-5 (in any module order, overwrite files when being prompted), remove the #DOF, #TGA, #WAW and #JTW folders and finally extract CUP SAFETY NET.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Aristo

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 02:53:23 AM »

The size difference is because you only have the "old" torrents where many parts are missing.
Nevertheless you don't need to download all of this again.
The current torrents hold the very same files like the old ones, plus new parts on top.
You can download the new torrent files and run the torrents in the same download location where you've downloaded the old ones to.
That way your torrent program will (should) recognize that the old parts are completed already and will only grab the new ones.

Once you've finished downloading the "up to date" torrents (2016-12-02 at the time of writing this), use this:
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,47647.0.html
guide for installation, it's the most comprehensive and the easiest one to follow since it boils down to:
Extract Modules 1-5 (in any module order, overwrite files when being prompted), remove the #DOF, #TGA, #WAW and #JTW folders and finally extract CUP SAFETY NET.

Best regards - Mike

First of all; thanks for the reply.

Second of all; oh boy! I just deleted everything and started from scratch just to make sure I didn't do anything wrong. I would've kept the files if I had known they were the same torrents. Oh well, just 38 hours to go till the download finishes :)

A question though; do I need to import anything into jsgme after all that or will the installation already have put the files where they need to be so that when I launch jsgme all the mods will show in there?

Thanks again.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 03:45:49 AM »

I just deleted everything and started from scratch just to make sure I didn't do anything wrong. I would've kept the files if I had known they were the same torrents. Oh well, just 38 hours to go till the download finishes :)
38 hours sounds like your connection isn't quite the best.
The Torrent itself is running much faster, there have been more than 6TB transferred on the first day already, making up at least 50 successful C.U.P. downloads from this torrent.

I can't help to say that the compatibility of old and new Torrent has been clearly stated in the Torrent release post:
If you should have downloaded previous C.U.P. Torrents before, you can simply stop them and run this Torrent "on top", in the same download file location.
That way you don't need to re-download all the unchanged parts from your old Torrent (that's very effective since existing parts remained untouched).
Even if you're right in the middle of downloading an old Torrent right now, you can stop it, load this Torrent and continue with it in the same place instead.

A question though; do I need to import anything into jsgme after all that or will the installation already have put the files where they need to be so that when I launch jsgme all the mods will show in there?
Like the installation instructions tell, it's simply "extract and overwrite".
The folder structure is part of the C.U.P. Module parts, JSGME files go into the appropriate JSGME folders automatically.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Aristo

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 04:00:30 AM »

38 hours sounds like your connection isn't quite the best.
You're correct.
It's good enough for watching live streams and online gaming, but an utter donkey for downloading large files.

I can't help to say that the compatibility of old and new Torrent has been clearly stated in the Torrent release post:
My only response is; I didn't read it.  :(

Like the installation instructions tell, it's simply "extract and overwrite".
The folder structure is part of the C.U.P. Module parts, JSGME files go into the appropriate JSGME folders automatically.

Gotcha. I never had to overwrite anything in my previous attempt, but it makes sense now knowing that it wasn't complete.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 29 queries.