Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW PEOPLE - FIRST PRINCIPLES  (Read 2714 times)

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
NEW PEOPLE - FIRST PRINCIPLES
« on: November 20, 2016, 11:05:01 PM »

TO THE NEW CUP FLYERS
As we approach the soon to be released #WAW - Part-22 many new users are making an effort to join the club and have all of these mods in one place.  We have even seen previous Il2 players returning to see why we are all having so much more fun than with many of the newer sims!

Its all easy enough to get hold of but sometimes, when a small step is missed, we see frustration, accusations and people getting annoyed.

Chill out, read the MANUAL, the threads and have some faith in the evidence on these forums.

Even without reading ANYTHING - it all works well if you can count from 1 to 30.

This past week me, and two of my most trusting (or gullible) mates eMeL and RDDR, each did a full rebuild of CUP, starting with the SAS Map Expansion, through to Dawn of Flight, The Golden Age, World at War and The Jet Age.  That is, we did a fresh install of Il2 and tested the individual downloads to build the modules to the current level.

In each case we went from a fresh install of Il2, SAS Super-patched to 4:12:2m and applied the CUP modules in the order given here:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,46491.0.html

I downloaded the lot, one by one, put them into to a clean Il2. 

It took us all three days, over a weekend, to download everything and put it into a clean folder for the rebuild.  I was the slowest. South Australia may be the most beautiful place on Earth but it has piss-poor broadband!

We could not talk on Skype while downloading so much content but got together afterwards to compare notes and cross-check file sizes and folder structure.

Follow the simple steps.  Do each step one at a time and don't cut corners.  Assemble your new CUP like a good 1/72nd scale model.  Take each step slowly and don't be in a hurry to put the stickers on before the paint has dried.  Take your time and do it right.

There was one special instruction, to delete Cupsounds.SFS, otherwise the Restore Point Installs produced an identical result for each of us.

ANYONE can potentially do this.  However, when you install CUP you are walking a new road.  If you wanna stay vanilla or just keep up with the TD 'patches', that's fine, but I believe that everyone who enjoys CUP has taken their simming to a new level.  Way beyond that of the average user.

In these days of hand-holding, conformity and councilling - because nothing is ever your fault - the sheer audacity of CUP flyers to get in there and take control of their game seems a little crazy to some and bewildering to many of the new generation of sim-flyers.  Where else do people mod like this?  With their own experience feeding the group conciousness and continuing to grow the mods in such a way that we all share the same modded install?

We have achieved a level of complexity and content at the same time de-mystifying the process and all sharing the SAME INSTALL.  We share something that is almost unique in the flight simming community.

#WAW Part-22 is out in the next week - #JTW Part-10 will follow hot on its heels.  Its going to be a great Christmas! 

The content of these incredible mod-sets has been suggested and pointed to on these forums.  We do all listen and work together.  If you walk the same path as me, eMeL and RDDR, than you WILL have exactly the same install as we have!

We can help anyone who has the right attitude and a decent PC.

Along the way we have all learned a great deal, made some tweaks and changes, and figured out new stuff together.  I believe we should all treat each other equably, with respect and humilty.  Humilty has saved me many times because everyone makes mistakes.  The choice is between admission and fixing your mistake, or looking like a fool.

Every new user has the same choice.

SGT68

Re: NEW PEOPLE - FIRST PRINCIPLES
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 07:23:58 AM »

In these days of hand-holding, conformity and councilling - because nothing is ever your fault

love it  ;D
"A day without slaughter is like a day without sunshine" ..Marcus Kincaid

bomberkiller

• Treffen sich zwei Jäger...!
  • Modder
  • Bf-109G-6/R6 = Bomber Killer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 07:31:45 AM »

Its going to be a great Christmas! 

WONDERFUL!
FAC N° 9 ...cheers mein Schatz

spartan18a

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:56:18 AM »

In CUP we trust! Keep it coming! :) we love all the way.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Winning is optional, but trying your best is not.

SpongeBob

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 12:23:56 PM »

Hello everybody!
I also have been downloading and re-installing all CUP from the beginning. At the moment I've installed all SAS-MME, DOF and WAW files with no problems at all, just old issues as I commented in a recent post about the Nieuport-11. https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,50322.0.html

As Monty recommends, do each step with no hurry and everything goes fine.

I almost missed a step: the JSGME restore point! It is explained here: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,50059.0.html
Failing in doing that makes that you have the old version of JSGME mods, which does not match with the list shown by Monty in Reply#9: State of the Art (https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,52899.0.html).

I would recommend to include a link to the JSGME restore point file in the STEP BY STEP - REQUIREMENTS & DL LINKS thread, for example under the Special instructions for all of C.U.P., after the deleting CUPSOUNDS.sfs file advise.
I think this would help everyone to have the same install options.

Thank you!

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 12:57:28 PM »

Hello mate

Spring cleaning as well eh?  Its healthy.  :)

We are introducing even more JSGME Options with #JTW Part-10 and I think there may be room for a bit of pruning too.  Therefore we should expect a comprehensive overhaul of JSGME Options following the next Module updates. 

Everything will work, as it does now, but we will look at clearer option names and labelling.  When we have that ready we can do a complete replacement of the JSGMEMODS folder.

SpongeBob

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 09:35:47 AM »

Well, in the northern hemisphere it is an Autumn cleaning.  :D

By the way, I am happy to do the new install. Maybe it is just an illusion, but I feel everything runs quite smoother now.

Thank you for your explanation about JSGME options. Once it is released it would be great to add a link in the main download page, so no one skip this step.

I only hope someone develops a mod to make days one or two hours longer!! So many options in CUP and so little time to handle them!

nadvgia

• Apprentice vaga
  • Like a Mig-15 on Steroids!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 12:45:56 PM »

I'll wait someone puts the full CUP on a torrent :)

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 02:34:42 PM »

By the way, I am happy to do the new install. Maybe it is just an illusion, but I feel everything runs quite smoother now.

I agree, my SSD drives and Flash Memory are over-rated, you can't defrag properly for example.  Putting an entirely new install, from the ground up, into its own space on an older style defragged drive has CUP running maxxed out and smooth as butter (without the ants).  In any case a drive cleanup and re-install, from time to time, will always be a good thing.

I'll wait someone puts the full CUP on a torrent :)

This all or nothing approach comes with the danger of over-whelming you with the task.

Why do want it all at once?  What's the hurry?  Why not take your time and learn a little about CUP along the way?

There are torrents - they are as complete as possible because CUP is an on-going development that is updated by user feedback and experience.  There is no One Click Install option for CUP even with the big Torrents.  You need to UnRAR the files into the right place - This is the minimum PC ability required.

Meanwhile there is a LOT you could be doing to prepare the ground and get yourself up and running in CUP.

You first need to get a clean Il2 - Superpatched to 4:12:2m - Then add SAS MODACT 5.3

You can get that far very quickly with an install disc and Two Downloads.

Your Primary job, in order to run CUP fully, will be to add the SAS Modular Map Expansion (SASMME).

CUP-Module One is called Module One for this reason.

It is ready to go - UnRARs directly to your Il2 Install and requires no special tweaking.

Once you have those two small tasks completed CUP World at War is ready to run by Part-06.  No need to jump all the way to Part-21 just yet.  Get to Part-06.  See how brilliant it is.  Take the next small step...

If you can get that far you will quickly learn two things that CUP flyers already know:

1-There is nothing else out there that can touch this!
2-You will want to take the next step and go further...

Two bulls, a very young one and an older more seasoned fellow, notice one morning that the farmer has left the gate to the next field wide open!  The next field is full of cows and nobody else is about.

"Quick"; says the young bull, "Let's run over to the field and shag a few cows."

"No"; says the older bull, "Let's walk over there and do them all!"

nadvgia

• Apprentice vaga
  • Like a Mig-15 on Steroids!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 11:29:09 AM »

I've tried 2 or 3 times only because the amount of time in uninstaling and instaling due to unknow errors. Just saying if someone with the full instalation of the game and cup would be faster and easy knowing that from where it cames it works :) imho only
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 28 queries.