Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: BoS, is it worth it?  (Read 7962 times)

Bizu

• Art Director
  • I.A.R.-80 Legacy
    • Facebook page
BoS, is it worth it?
« on: October 28, 2016, 05:30:36 PM »

Hello guys

Since the game is 50% of for a few days

I'm considering buying it, but also I wanna know few things first from the people which tried it:

1. What do you think about the game experience and the simulation itself, from 1/10?
2. Can you pilot the plane like in classic Il-2 by keyboard or at least by mouse? (I don't have a stick yet)
3. I've done some tests to my rig and apparently this will be my fps while running BoS:

My target is 1080p, is it worth buying the game for a 30-35 fps game experience on maximum settings?

Looking forward for replies, best regards guys!

P.S. is it worth 14 more euros for the FW-190 A3 and La-5??
Ex nihilo, nihil fit

Oscarito

Re: BoS, is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 07:45:45 PM »

I would buy the joystick first... ;)
v4.12+MA 5.3 - Win 7

LuseKofte

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »

I fly bos without problems with a i7 2,8 ghz 16 gb gtx 680, before this was not the case. I ran DCS better (DX11) Now BOS (DX9) runs smoother than DCS
And it will migrate to DX 11
I just do not understand why people claiming interest in WW 2 sim´s do not buy all there is to offer, if they can afford it. I would fly IL2 if it could take more hotas. One game do not rule out the other.
Simulation of flight = 10
Russian FM in general = 8
German FM in general (before latest patch) = 5 ( they say it got better)
Visuals 10 (if you like movie sound and effect) Reality 5
Offline 3 Online 6 ( I hate online public servers)

It is absolutely worth the money if you are into WW 2 , Tone on servers very much improved, but not quite up to the standards of renowned old IL 2
But then again DCS is not either. Personally I simply would have ditch WW2 era sims if it had not been for this game.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 12:25:57 AM »

You can't do anything wrong paying 23 bucks for being up to date with WW2 flight simulation.
14 bucks for the 190 and La-5 are a bit too much in comparison to the 23 bucks for the whole package.
The relevance of these planes depends much on your intended usage: If you ever plan to fly online in the fighter role, you will definitely want to have these planes.
Other than that, for the sake of completeness you might want to have them later anyway.

My humble opinion:
Game experience: Offline 2 (*), Online (public) 1(**), Online (private) can't tell (don't have time to establish such a partnership)
BoS with keyboard: No, no, and once again no. Before you even consider buying BoS, get yourself a stick.
FPS: BoS isn't remotely as GPU-heavy as CloD was. It runs smoothly on an Nvidia GTX760 class GPU. Anything below that won't be much fun, anything above will max out BoS @60FPS easily.

*: Offline the game is over after a few weeks. There isn't much to see there, the career is over and the offline action repeats endlessly.
**: Online public servers are "gangbang" style like IRSS on Hyperlobby altogether.
If you like to fly bombers (like me) you are dead meat before you even jump into the seat.
Don't think that any of your team's fighter jockeys would waste a single bullet to defend you.
They'll wait until you went down to score easy kills on the enemy planes which have been damaged by your gunners afterwards.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

SGT68

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 03:58:08 AM »

Don't think that any of your team's fighter jockeys would waste a single bullet to defend you.
They'll wait until you went down to score easy kills on the enemy planes which have been damaged by your gunners afterwards.

so much for simulation ... :D
"A day without slaughter is like a day without sunshine" ..Marcus Kincaid

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 04:57:02 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the sale! I just bought it. 22 Euros is reasonable  :)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

sniperton

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 05:14:37 AM »

*: Offline the game is over after a few weeks. There isn't much to see there, the career is over and the offline action repeats endlessly.

Do I understand correctly that in BoS the user cannot create new missions and cannot build a new static career from them?

@Bizu: Quality sticks are quite expensive, but for 50-60 euros you can have a hotas which gives you a much improved (and more natural) game experience. The rest (head-tracking and a pedal) are relatively cheap if you go the DIY way.

LuseKofte

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 05:15:01 AM »

You can't do anything wrong paying 23 bucks for being up to date with WW2 flight simulation.
14 bucks for the 190 and La-5 are a bit too much in comparison to the 23 bucks for the whole package.
The relevance of these planes depends much on your intended usage: If you ever plan to fly online in the fighter role, you will definitely want to have these planes.
Other than that, for the sake of completeness you might want to have them later anyway.

My humble opinion:
Game experience: Offline 2 (*), Online (public) 1(**), Online (private) can't tell (don't have time to establish such a partnership)
BoS with keyboard: No, no, and once again no. Before you even consider buying BoS, get yourself a stick.
FPS: BoS isn't remotely as GPU-heavy as CloD was. It runs smoothly on an Nvidia GTX760 class GPU. Anything below that won't be much fun, anything above will max out BoS @60FPS easily.

**: Online public servers are "gangbang" style like IRSS on Hyperlobby altogether.
If you like to fly bombers (like me) you are dead meat before you even jump into the seat.

Best regards - Mike

The attitude on public servers is not the simulators fault, it is what we have become.....
You see this in DCS also.
But there is good news in this aspect, you find serious players on DED expert + server, not the GPS server WOL, you are on your own there.
There is a mouse option in BOS, but I do not recommend it. If I known you did not have a joystick earlier , I would have sent you a old spare I had, or a cessna Satek yoke for free. But I do not have them anymore

Bizu

• Art Director
  • I.A.R.-80 Legacy
    • Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 07:00:24 AM »

Thank you guys for the replies, that was just what I wanted to hear I just bought it now, the standard BoS, I don't plan to fly the La-5 (I don't like it) and mabye I will buy the fw-190 in the Steam winter sale when I plan to get BoM too :)

@Mike You say GTX 760 is the minimum for BoS? I have 750 TI, would my GPU handle it?

@Le0ne Well too bad for me that I didn't post this some while earlier but many thanks for your offer! I will buy a stick eventually, I just have to check the market to pick a good deal first.

Bizu
Ex nihilo, nihil fit

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 08:39:49 AM »

The attitude on public servers is not the simulators fault, it is what we have become
Yes that's true.
I also understand that private servers will give a better user experience, but from my own flights with the Flying Ass Clowns on our SAS Gameserver I know how much time it takes to establish such a flight "career" and I'm afraid I only have one life to live ;)

I have 750 TI, would my GPU handle it?

General speaking: Yes.
You will have to tone down a few settings and you might face some occasional stuttering, but generally it will work and it will still look very nice.
See this video for instance which was recorded with a 750ti:

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

LuseKofte

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 01:43:28 PM »

I will buy a stick eventually, I just have to check the market to pick a good deal first.

There are several cheap ones on the market, Stay away from the Logitech one and you be fine.
http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m45 $

For it price a very good one every one says With twist rudder

https://www.amazon.com/Gladiator-Joystick-Flight-Simulator-Controller-Stick/dp/B01G6GT49O100$

Very good joystick electronics same as their top model, but the gimball are in plastic. Twistrudder
I will buy the fw-190 in the Steam winter sale when I plan to get BoM too

The 190is the most controversial plane in the brand, it do not perform up to the standards for axis pilots. I find it a very competent ground attack plane. I have never been shot down in one

@Mike You say GTX 760 is the minimum for BoS? I have 750 TI, would my GPU handle it?
I got a older GPU than you, but it was top model once the GTX 680. It runs very well

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 02:08:37 PM »

I like it so far, visually at least it is quite stunning for both winter and summer maps.

A stick is a necessary expense you will have to deal with, you really cannot play these games without, sorry, that is how it is.

I do actually need a new one, mine is like me old and decrepit and slowly falling apart. :D

The aircraft models are superb which is something you would expect from what is now probably going to be a benchmark game as it develops further and for what they are charging you cannot complain about price especially if you do pre-order or sale.

We have become so used to free stuff in the Il 2 community that we forget just how expensive and time consuming it is for a company to take on these niche projects but if cost is a issue for users they regularly do these sales to attract those who have to be very cost concious in the modern world.

As Mike points out the career mode is not really as immersive as you would find in our old and much loved game but that and other things took something like twelve years or more to get where it is and is still improving, there are some members making campaigns in mission format that gets us away from the company made things but as yet real user made campaigns have still to develop as does much of the current game.

We will always have complaints as users with whatever way the game moves but it is early days yet and for me and others the current 1C/777 simulators are for those of us interested in WWI and WWII probably the best you will get.

I did not particularily like the click cockpits and Steam association of CLoD so the current BoS/BoM and forthcoming BoK are more to my liking, I live in hope that they will re-invent CLoD to make it available as these current new titles are but I guess I am living a delusional existense with that one, maybe on that one they can unleash Team Fusion in the same way as TD with our old game.

Go for it I say, it is the only way forward in the foreseeable future if you like the WWII genre, even if the current games are not quite what you want there is a vision going forward that might just appeal if you stick around and encourage the development team.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 27 queries.