Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oculus CV1  (Read 2503 times)

libory

Oculus CV1
« on: September 05, 2016, 11:53:23 AM »

Hi,

Any plan to make IL2 1946 CUP compatible with the Oculus CV1?

I made it work with Vorpx but it is missing 3dvision + the fov is not perfect...

libory

Re: Oculus CV1
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 01:34:47 PM »

ok I made it work.....

IL2 1946 with 3dvision with the oculus is AMAZING.

Everything is real scale..... very, very amazing.....

My dream from 80's at last!!!!! 

cmnderbob

• Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.
  • Flying since "Hellcats over the Pacific"
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 02:17:01 PM »

This is something I would love to try out, it's good to know you got it working!!
Bob

JG7_X_Man

• Missioneer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 03:20:08 PM »

Did you need 3rd party software of some sorts? FSX needs FlyInside to work.

dagger123456

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 06:03:06 PM »

Share it to us.  Post how you did it.  It would be a great contribution in your part.  Let Il-2 endlessly evolve.

libory

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 04:30:11 AM »

It really changes the way of dogfight.... impressive. With trackIr was cool but with this is AMAZING. I don't get sick even with loops and crazy stalls... lol. Many people gets sick, not sure...

After playing around a bit I found out it is not perfect (it is not made for this really). When you shot the 3d effect turns off, not sure why. So it looks like a machine gun shaking effect but x2 or x3. I have no idea why is that and I tried everything I could. Sometimes annoying sometimes doesn't bother much. Maybe the stereo 3d never worked well, not sure, I don't have a 3d monitor with me to try. I tried the stereo MOD but it didn't work. The depth is very good. Everything in the cockpit is readable. Planes in distance are not perfect but you can see them and look at other planes in formation with a natural head rotation is very nice. You are there...

Aiming now is very impressive. I can see the planes crossing below my plane and after I dive into them shooting at his tail.... really amazing guys....

About how I made it (it wasn't easy at all).... I use mainly two programs...

First I made a custom resolution of 1600x1800 (I have a Nvidia card).

I edited the config.ini and I added this resolution and I turned off WideScreenFoV=0 and change the mouse pointer mouseUse=1 because you need the middle mouse button to zoom in and out the VorpX menus.

For the head tracking I use Opentrack with the tracking of the oculus 0.8 and simulating a trackir (it works 360 degrees in all directions) https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/releases

Keep in mind the Opentrack doesn't support oculus runtime 1.3 so I installed this wrapper to simulate the runtime 0.8 needed to run Opentrack. https://github.com/kalavaras/LibOVRWrapper/releases/ .

This are the settings in Opentrack:

Input: Oculus Rift runtime 0.8.0 -- HMD
output: freetrack 2.0 Enhanced
I turned off all the filters in the "Filter" tab. (there is an empty one on top of the list)
In Options-Output-Translation compensation I turned off "Enable" and enable "Disable Z axis compensation.
In Options-Camera-Center pose Offset I changed the value of TZ to 5.000 cm.

And for the oculus I use a program called VorpX....  http://www.vorpx.com/

The VorpX doesn't support IL2 but it supports OpenGL. By default when you play it you don't see 3d at all you just see 2d (it looks 3d but it is not). The thing I did is take the setting for Quake (yes, Quake..lol), copy it  and I changed the .exe to look at the il2fb.exe in my IL2 folder and it worked.

At first the cockpit is out of the place but you need to change the 3d separation in the VorpX menu to 0.01 and then the magic turns on. The cockpits looks amazing :)) Remember to save the settings in VorpX menu.

I play with the FOV at 90 (PageDn Key). You can play with the zoom settings (in VorpX menu) till you find confortable with the perspective.

Another annoying thing is VorpX (at least in my machine) doesn't run if head tracking is off and you need to turn head tracking off in VorpX menu everytime you load first time IL2.

Just I don't like the tracking in VorpX as it emulates a mouse. Opentrack much better.

So... the way I do it is:

1- Turn on the PC
2- Open Oculus home (be sure the oculus is setup properly if not the opentrack gets confused)
3- Open opentrack and start
4- Open VorpX
5- Run the game
6- As soon you are in the interface in game turn off the head tracking in Vopx (it should be amazing if they would add a trackir emulator)
7- At first the menus and interface are in your nose. You need to press the middle mouse button and then it zooms in and out.
8- Enjoy

It is a bit of work at the beginning but I think it is worth it if you love IL2 1946 (by the way I am in HSFX 7 but I don't think it really matters).

Good hunting!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 24 queries.