Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do You Play Il2?  (Read 5742 times)

Radoye

Re: How Do You Play Il2?
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 08:07:09 AM »

When i have time for Il-2 (which, sadly, rarely happens these days) i play offline - stand-alone missions or campaigns / careers. Occasionally i set up something silly in QMB to get my quick fix, but i prefer to fly historical missions.
I'm an island, surrounded by a sea of idiots!

Captain Dawson

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 09:06:47 AM »

I guess I'm in the minority here. To be honest, I assumed more younger folks used our sim (No offense of course!  ;) ) I must say, I definitely admire and respect you older folks, quite a huge bit of knowledge and experience you chaps all bring to our sim!

I'm still a student, finishing 12th grade as a homeschooler. School and other activities keep me too busy to play IL-2 as much as I'd like. Unfortunately, my family doesn't support me in my flight simulation hobby, they don't see the difference between timewasting arcade games and honing my flying skills on IL-2. I see the game as the best way to learn the quirks of flying, while living out my favorite thing, aviation history. I want to be a pilot when I get older. At the museum where I volunteer, I've helped institute a hands-on flying exhibit using IL-2, and it's just great to see kids and adults alike experience the joy of flight, even if they can't entirely understand it! Being only 18 years old, having an interest in a realistic historical simulator definitely puts me in the minority for my age, especially in today's world. Most kids my age are addicted to cheesy arcade video games, and these newfangled contraptions known as "smart phones". Can I say if more people focused on real life and not catching the Pokémon in the middle of the highway... 'Nuff said!  :P

I've been playing Il-2 for about two years now. Usually only an hour or so at a time is all I can get in. IL-2 1946 is the only sim I've ever played with a comprehensive, truly Full Mission Builder that puts you in control. I must admit, It took a while to get over the learning curve with mods for me, partially due to limited uninterrupted time on the computer. I've hugely enjoyed using Monty's work in CUP whenever I get the chance. It's made it so much easier to get the mods straight, and saved me a ton of time! Thanks in large part to Monty and all the chaps from SAS, we have a sim with incredible content, and it's constantly improving! I will have to wait until I retire to use it to it's full potential though!

Thanks so much to all of you for keeping Il-2 1946 alive!

-Captain Dawson
"It's totally foolproof, until you mess something up." -Captain Dawson My OP rig: CybertronPC Palladium custom desktop computer, GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz 6M Cache Skylake Quad-Core, RAM: 8.00 GB, Motherboard: Intel H110 Chipset, SSD: 240GB, HDD: 1TB, OS: Windows 10

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 09:05:00 PM »

I rarely fly except if a cool Pacific campaign is uploaded on to SAS  ;D and take a short break from my main IL-2 interest.

I mainly fly testing airfields on maps made from scratch.

I don't retexture maps at all mine are always from scratch.  ;D :D

Map making takes loads of time of which I am sure most members don't realize.

I have a great interest in the NWA North West Area of operations which includes 3 states in Australia Western Australia, Northern Territory and Queensland, PNG and ALL of The Dutch East Indies.

2 weeks for sure  ;D :D does not cut it with maps more like way over two months.  ;)

Cheers

Kirby

Darkwind

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 11:00:21 PM »

I've been playing IL-2 since it first came out, off-line only. I played a lot of the after market add-on games you could get on-line. I down loaded every mission, campaign and skin I could find. When I mastered the use of mods I did the same.....HUGE collection. Now a days I spend a lot of time seeing just how many planes and mods I can stuff in a particular copy of IL-2. So far VP's modpak has held up the best. It seems to be an endless pit when it comes to introducing new planes. It doesn't mind if it is marked for 4.09 or 4.12 and even a bunch that aren't marked at all.....I break from time to time and hit the ol PS4 or some other PC game but sooner or later I wonder back to my trusty collection of IL-2.....I guess I'm sixty two going on twelve.  :-[

JG7_X_Man

• Missioneer
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 02:14:33 PM »

Very interesting guys - I am one of IL-2 migrates from European Air War (EAW) back when we fly online with Yahoo Games/GameSpy in '98 - '99 until IL-2 changed the game.

I also always liked flying with a purpose, so I gravitated to Online (VEF1 & VEF2, tried SEOW and a few others but VEF 1 was legendary - on a Sunday afternoon 200+ on hyperlobby).

These days I build campaigns using DCG to fly single missions - just in a career format. I go all out with correct markings, historically correct aircraft and bases and battles. I love the Western Europe theater and after several years, I decided to build and share Channel Front '41 - '43. My next will be either North Africa or Western European Air War '44

I hate to say it - but in a few months I will eventually buy an Occlus Rift thus ending my 15 yr affair with IL-2, unless FlyInside supports it.

Raven Morpheus

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 08:06:27 AM »

I've been playing IL2 1946 since about 2010, as I play other video games and do other things for hobbies I play IL2 1946 4.12+CUP on and off, basically whenever I can be bothered to pick my hotas up.  I don't have  the luxury of gaming at a desk where I can leave everything setup, my PC is in my bedroom (I'm a 39 yr old single man living in a box room in his parents house because I can't afford to rent/buy my own place) and I can't leave peripherals set up all the time so I have to have the motivation to set them up.

Recently I've been having a bit of a PTO revival (probably ignited by the thought of building Airfix's upcoming 1/48 P40B kit) and have been playing USN/USMC/USAAF campaigns (both scripted and DGEN), along with a few set in the MTO, and this weekend I "completed" 15 or so missions and I've flown the past few weekends in a row.  I seem to find flying US birds (such as the F4F Wildcat, F4U-1 Corsair, SBD Duantless, P40 Warhawk, P38 Lightning) more engaging than I do anything else.

When I say "completed" of course I mean I get shot up and either have to bail out or crash land - it seems very rarely do I get a kill or two and actually get to land or land properly (landing is usually a crash scenario for me anyway)...

I also seem to have a habit of doing something to my IL2 1946 install and lose my campaign progress, or it gets lost somehow anyway without me doing anything to my install, and I have to start all over again.  You wouldn't believe how many times I've restarted Dragon's Pacific campaign - Pearl Harbour must be in some sort of Groundhog day zone!

When it comes to WW2 content IL2 1946 is my go to sim.  DCS is a study sim and once you've learnt how to fly the aircraft there's little to do besides a few scripted campaigns which seem to be insanely difficult and thus not fun, although I found the Huey campaign reasonable but a little on the boring side and I gave up 6 missions in.  The modules are expensive and bear little to no relation to each other - it's a disjointed mess with a lot of framerate problems (because they have no clue about optimization of their models and game engine and expect you to be playing on £3000 computers)!  Other than that there is only Cliffs of Dover imo, but that's purely the Battle of Britain, it's good now that it's been modded but it is limited to just the Battle of Britain (something which oddly IL2 doesn't seem to have a lot of campaigns for).  The current incarnation of IL2, basically an mmo, doesn't appeal to me at all - there's a lack of content, it's on the Russian Front, and the single player campaign is rubbish - you have to use a 3rd party app which operates outside of the game just to have single missions that link together in some form of dynamic campaign!  Not worth the money.

I doubt very much we'll see the likes of even the stock IL2 + expansions like PF again, because games companies don't seem interested in that model of game (too much content, only minor profit), so for me IL2 will always be the sim I fly the most, until it starts to look severely dated (and by that I mean dated in terms of how, for example, dated the old Jane's Longbow games look these days).

Hopefully the modding community (and/or Team Daidalos), to whom we should all be eternally grateful, will keep the graphics side of things alive and to a good standard for some time to come.

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 08:24:41 PM »

I agree it still looks very good and is, graphically, far from dated yet. 

I believe that the modders who most contribute to developing this sim are right here.  The team at SAS, from the top down, are second to none.

SkyHigh

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 08:44:44 PM »

Il-2 will never date for me, because my eyes are dating faster!

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »

Il-2 will never date for me, because my eyes are dating faster!

SkyHigh  ;D ;D ;D ;D - I'm an illustrator and still good for close up work - But can't see anything too far off now, so its glasses for driving!

On a related note though, I was discussing this in the local EB Gaming Store yesterday, I don't actually like the look of many overly smooth X-Box type graphics.  There is definately a different sort of style out there today and often its a bit too cartoony for my taste.

Despite the lack of later post-processing effects I still very much enjoy the clarity of the Il2 graphics.  A good skin makes all the difference too.  There is more integrity in a well made historic skin for Il2 than many of the newer games out there today.  The water effects are damn good too, as are the new sky maps. 

I was testing some aircraft mods last night and thought to myself; "this sim still looks so good".

Of course FMB is the other thing.  Every other sim/game out there wants to hold your hand and lead you someplace.  Once you reach the limits you are done and the game is finished.  With Il2 we can go where we want. - As far as I can see this thing will not be over for a long time yet!

jpten

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 10:25:24 PM »

While I QMB probably like everyone else, I have a few "transport" missions I made in FMB so when I have a crappy day I can relax by simply making cargo runs in classic twin engine beauties.  Add a C&C random weather object and I even have to brave the elements sometimes.
   I have been into WW2 flight sims since the 1980's with the BOB being my favorite period.  Over the years I made quite a collection of missions for that period in FMB  using the map "English Channel  Summer 1940-41 Summer ***** -by CanonUK&-tbauchot".  I even got to the point of making my own FMB modding  project by identifying  every British city/town/hamlet textured on the map with an actual corresponding named location and putting it on the map.    This led to my current obsession (and my biggest share of time spent in the game) of stocking every location with appropriate targets, many historically based to the location.  So to answer the question, 3-4 hours a week flying missions, a good 24 hours total stocking cities, and probably another 3-4 flying around testing my creations.

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 04:03:42 PM »

Very interesting guys - I am one of IL-2 migrates from European Air War (EAW) back when we fly online with Yahoo Games/GameSpy in '98 - '99 until IL-2 changed the game.

I also always liked flying with a purpose, so I gravitated to Online (VEF1 & VEF2, tried SEOW and a few others but VEF 1 was legendary - on a Sunday afternoon 200+ on hyperlobby).

These days I build campaigns using DCG to fly single missions - just in a career format. I go all out with correct markings, historically correct aircraft and bases and battles. I love the Western Europe theater and after several years, I decided to build and share Channel Front '41 - '43. My next will be either North Africa or Western European Air War '44

I hate to say it - but in a few months I will eventually buy an Occlus Rift thus ending my 15 yr affair with IL-2, unless FlyInside supports it.

Wow, I would love to see threads here with links and pictures.  This sounds great.  I have always enjoyed making Super-Detailed FMB missions with bespoke skins and local effects.  DCG does have a lot power though, its well worth looking into...

While I QMB probably like everyone else, I have a few "transport" missions I made in FMB so when I have a crappy day I can relax by simply making cargo runs in classic twin engine beauties.  Add a C&C random weather object and I even have to brave the elements sometimes.
   I have been into WW2 flight sims since the 1980's with the BOB being my favorite period.  Over the years I made quite a collection of missions for that period in FMB  using the map "English Channel  Summer 1940-41 Summer ***** -by CanonUK&-tbauchot".  I even got to the point of making my own FMB modding  project by identifying  every British city/town/hamlet textured on the map with an actual corresponding named location and putting it on the map.    This led to my current obsession (and my biggest share of time spent in the game) of stocking every location with appropriate targets, many historically based to the location.  So to answer the question, 3-4 hours a week flying missions, a good 24 hours total stocking cities, and probably another 3-4 flying around testing my creations.

Definately a kindred spirit!  I am currently working through a 50-Campaign presentation for WWI (https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,48076.0.html) and another 50-Campaign set for SCW (https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,51175.0.html), before moving back into the greatest air battles, special missions and recreated flights of WWII for CUP #WAW.

Why not set up a thread on this forum and share your missions and ideas?  With links and pictures you have the perfect forum here to explain your vision and share the experience.  If you need any help we will provide it, fire me a pm if you like.

I also love 'ass 'n trash' flights like those you describe.  Have you mapped your Beacon Selector and included Radio Stations in your missions?  There is nothing like taking off, signing off from Departure and switching to Glen Miller on the old bakerlite or tuning into what the enemy are currently listening too.  This is done within the sim, no special addons required except for a good soundset of WWII tunes and radio broadcasts.  CUP players should already have these.

What about ambient noise, local ground traffic, other aircraft and vehicles going about their business?  Wartime airfields are very busy places.  I always try to overwhelm the player/pilot with these sensations, to mentally place you there, in their shoes.  A great mission should always make you pause and look around for a second...

We also have navigation beacons in 412 CUP, so you can plan and fly a route very realistically.  I love to settle in, with a good hot cuppa, and watch flybys (Tiger33)  to the sound of Vera Lynn before switching back to the Arrival Tower: -  now its all business, watch the traffic, let's bring her in nice and tidy and park at our assigned spot, over there by all those trucks and guys waiting to unload our cargo...

...I will have to wait until I retire to use it to it's full potential though!

Thanks so much to all of you for keeping Il-2 1946 alive!

-Captain Dawson

I know you are a young guy - I will probably be long gone by then!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 27 queries.