Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Tachikawa Ki-94-II - interceptor - Update 2016-09-05  (Read 32305 times)

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
Re: Tachikawa Ki-94-II - interceptor
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 04:35:27 AM »

One on the list to add to my future install. :P :D
Thanks gentlemen. :)

Koty

• Mr. MiG
  • Modder
  • It's a MiG!
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 08:34:57 AM »

Speaking of stall characteristics, it seems to be impossible to land this thing  o_O

Once you slow down around 300 km and put it nose down with zero throttle, it has a severe case of aileron conversion! Sometimes even total lack of control. Deploying landing gear only worsens the situation, flaps do not really help. Again, only making things worse (combat flaps are OK, but anything beyond that is suicidal). I have no problems with a plane being tricky but - this seems bugged. (Same when I throttle up, the plane starts dancing midair, before settling in general direction.)

Otherwise, I of course love this thing. It's just that it feels quite sad to me that this plane cannot be landed.

I am running MA 5.3 with latest (I believe) Western's beta-patch for engine mod.
If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick.

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 09:38:52 AM »

... It's just that it feels quite sad to me that this plane cannot be landed.
it's normal ! This plane never took off so he can not land!  :D   8)
If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -

King_109

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »

Too awasome great work dude thanks ....

rkalhorn109

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2016, 05:00:50 PM »

A magnificent aircraft!  Thanks for bringing this into the game.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2016, 12:13:24 PM »

Speaking of stall characteristics, it seems to be impossible to land this thing  o_O

Once you slow down around 300 km and put it nose down with zero throttle, it has a severe case of aileron conversion! Sometimes even total lack of control. Deploying landing gear only worsens the situation, flaps do not really help. Again, only making things worse (combat flaps are OK, but anything beyond that is suicidal). I have no problems with a plane being tricky but - this seems bugged. (Same when I throttle up, the plane starts dancing midair, before settling in general direction.)
Yes Koty, this bird was impossible to fly.
That's intentional, aerodynamics can be tricky at times.
The "mistake" the japs did was to put a large 6-blade prop on a plane with laminar flow wings.
The U.S. noticed the same when they built their P-51H, where a 5-blade prop was tested briefly and got quickly abandoned in favor of the "old" 4-blade one.
Thing is that when the airflow leaves the laminar surface on such a wing in prop lee and the gap between the blades is small enough to cause an interference "wave" pattern on lee side, the effect of rudders in that airflow zone in fact will be inverted.

Nevertheless, I understand that this is a little too much realism for the standard armchair pilot we are, so please find a new version of this bird released in first post.
It differs in FM only, in that it now has the Modact sounds by default and the prop wash control surface inversion has been removed and the plane generally is a little more stable in the air.

Here are some flight model data figures, blue is Ki-94-II, red is Ta-152H-1 for comparison, light is normal, dark is WEP power.
Note that the flight behaviour of the two is completely different, but since they fulfill the same role, the performance naturally is similar.

TAS vs. Altitude:

RoC vs. Altitude:

RoC vs. Speed:

Turn time vs. Speed:

Fan plot:

Hope that helps ;)

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Koty

• Mr. MiG
  • Modder
  • It's a MiG!
Re: Tachikawa Ki-94-II - interceptor - Update 2016-09-05
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2016, 04:11:07 PM »

well - it inverted mainly the ailerons - that should be outta the the zone behind the prop ;) it also interfered with flaps heavily. And so.

Before testing the new version, I am going to test the old one, if it actually is what you describe - or if it is actually bugged. I love challange. But I do not like bugs being the reason for challange ;)

Reminds me of that MiG-25 on hiatus - something similar I wanted to model there, but that was for high IAS, not low :))
<--- you know, first things first - some mods have priority ;)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2016, 11:07:43 PM »

Test it, you're welcome.
Let me give you a little further insight in what's happening here:
IL-2 of course doesn't resemble physics close enough to simulate the prop interference pattern on laminar surfaces, but it does simulate the prop wash distribution across the plane's surfaces.
That's why the corrective measure to get rid of aileron inversion was to reduce the prop diameter.
I could as well have moved the ailerons away from the plane's centerline but that would have caused other unintended handling changes.

Best regards - Mike

Koty

• Mr. MiG
  • Modder
  • It's a MiG!
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2016, 03:08:59 AM »

I see now... putting all my knowledge together, I even landed it, with the old FM (trick is - you cannot throttle down at low altitude when nose-down, or something) - but thanks to short cirquits kicking my rudder and thus reducing the effective deflection I can give it on my own, it steered out of the RWY, breaking the legs... >.>

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2016, 03:54:25 AM »

I think the new FM will make you happy :D

trent

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2016, 06:59:37 AM »

Thank you 101tfs and Storebror for bringing this beautiful aircraft to our beloved IL-2!   :)

I think the new FM will make you happy

Thank you, Storebror, the new FM is a great improvement! The original FM made me uninstall the aircraft since it seemed buggy, but with the new FM we can finally enjoy flying this very nice looking aircraft! Much appreciated!  8)

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2016, 04:56:21 PM »

Works like a charm - THANKS!!!  8)

There will be a campaign, in 4.12, for this little monster. Within a week or so.  :)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 24 queries.