Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taxi setup  (Read 2897 times)

eddiek

Taxi setup
« on: July 31, 2016, 12:13:13 AM »

I have a couple mod installations that inlcude VP MOD, and CUP WAW.  Both are set up to use MissionPro so I have been experimenting with creating flights.  When I started working with the taxi setup, I found out I was never able to get it to work.  I would watch instructions on how to set it up, but it would not work.  I then decided to work with the default mission editor and sure enough, the taxi process works??  Is there a known problem with MissionPro and if not, is there a different procedure that MissionPro is using?

Edward K.

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
Re: Taxi setup
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 12:52:35 AM »

Hi Eddie,

I'm writing a taxi-to-takeoff campaign for VP Modpack.  I'm finding taxi-to-takeoff works better with MissionPro disabled.  It worked for me sometimes with MissionPro, but not always. 

It seems fairly apparent from my experience at this stage that something in the MissionPro code is not entirely compatible with taxi-to-takeoff.

Just my $0.02.  :)

eddiek

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 08:41:21 AM »

Thanks for confirming this.  The only condition where the taxi process will work is if the spawing point is not used.  If you want the player's plane to taxi, then stay away from using the stationary plane as the spawning point.  If you use the spawning point for the player's plane/flight, you will always start at the runway.

The second condition which is working, but not properly is when you have a second flight starting on its own starting waypoint.  The ai plane will spawn, but it seems to start at the runway and even then, at the opposite end.

I did not get the chance to check if the ai plane will spawn properly without using spawning process.

The other condition that I have noticed is that sometimes the player's flight will sometimes start opposite of the starting waypoint when performing the normal takeoff from the runway.

Hopefully these issues can be fixed because I like using MissionPro.

Update: AI planes will taxi properly when not using spawn points, but the problem here is that a typical flight will have more than one plane.  So the issue that needs to be looked into if this is not already being done of course is the use of spawn points.

Edward K.

eddiek

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 02:02:18 PM »

On my system, I have the stock installation of 412 and 413.  The CUP WAW, TFM, and VP MOD.  In my tests I would always try to use the same Normandy map which is Normandy - January, but this map is not present on all of the modded installations, but I would still use the Normandy map.  On the stock installation, the taxi process would always work using the stationary aircraft. The interesting part is when I get into the modded installations.  Since MissionPro is being questioned, I ran my test on TFM.  This installation never had MissionPro installed and I was using the default editor.  Guess what, I came across the same issue as well as in the other modded installations that was using the default editor.  If this issue is taking place with the default editor on a modded installation, then this could only mean that this issue is somehow caused by the mod hierarchy.  This is the pattern I was noticing so MissionPro can't be the culprit.  The question would be why this is taking place?

Edward K.

Zoran395

• Mapper
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 06:55:33 AM »

Hi Edward,

Here is what I do in CUP #WAW with MissionPro on.

I do not use stock IL-2 at all and only fly my own map, in CUP #WAW.
So I cannot comment on stock maps or the influence of MissionPro... sorry!

I do spend a terrible amount of time testing my newly created airfields, mostly to check how planes will taxi to park on landing but also, occasionally, some taxi to take off testing when spawn points, runways and taxiways are complex.
I generally can get about 32 planes (fighters, transport, attack, bombers) to take off from taxi positions on a circular shaped airfield like Lodeynoye Pole, taking to the skies from 2 different runways. This includes the player aircraft and takes a looooooooong time to get right! All taxiing is done from stationary aircraft placed on spawning points.

My conclusion is that if you set it right (by spending a ridiculous amount of time) in your mission, with a sound airfield design (in FMB+), pretty much anything can taxi and then take off. A particular trick is to have a straight section of taxiing with 3-4 waypoints before the actual take-off waypoint. The very fact that you have to spend so much time to get it to work also indicates that it will be near impossible to automate (using DCG, DGEN or QMB).

Over time, for map creation, this has led me to do less taxi-to-take-off testing and focus mainly on the landings/parking.
It must have a therapeutic virtue of some sort for me to watch planes land on IL-2 for hours...!

By sound airfield design I mean applying the principles set out in https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,14115.0.html by spdr109. If you go through the thread you will see that stock airfields can have their problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 27 queries.