Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ponies (P51s) 3 D rework  (Read 15706 times)

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
Re: Ponies (P51s) 3 D rework
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 03:29:54 PM »

[To the previous poster:  ;) ]

Hello Mr. Samurai,..
Maybe ask at the FM site for support? Sorry, but did you install it as per readme, in the correct game version?

My tip: Post at Free IL-2 Modding, provide a logfile and your game version and your problem. ;)

Samurai999

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 01:14:36 PM »

It's okay. I thought the gun must appear in MK1 Mustang, and it turns out to have MK1A.  :)

Ivan-le-Rouge

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2016, 01:36:48 PM »

I don't fly mustang a lot but after I have installed this pack all my P-51B seems to have 20mm cannons instead of machine guns. My current installation is CUP with all part installed.

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2016, 04:51:54 PM »

Ivan:
I am sorry I cannot help :(, for me it worked. But in MA 5.3.

Best ask at Free IL-2 Modding, it is their mod.
Hope someone can help you reading the post, I have no idea, only one: An overlap effect with another mod or CUP's default P-51 models?
AFAIK what is inside a Mods folder-same counts for CUP, should overwrite anything below its hierarchy...so maybe check your CUP WAW mods folder for additional P-51 mods?
Heck, I am no coder unfortunately for you, could also be any possible conflict with another CUP default mod.
Good Luck..
 :)

Ivan-le-Rouge

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 05:37:12 AM »

Thanks for your answer. it's not a real problem and if I took time I will probably find a solution by myself. I will try with a clear installation just in case.

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 10:28:51 AM »

OK chaps, this does not aim at creating anger or mess..simply a humble gift and a humble request....I am thankful! some modders at Fm revived my lust in P-51s. :P8)

I fiddled a bit more with the P-51A (Means USAF version) cockpit and documented part of this hassle in our SAS modder forum area.
I came back backing off the 2 mirror approach, but welcome anyone at FM or SAS to take on improiving this work/WIP.

Dual mirrors in the setup 2 different meshes and entries for a center armor glass mirror and an upper canopy classic early Stang mirror resulted in erratic display of images - details go to far here, but I documented it..in short:
Either, if the upper mirror is dominant and mesh 1, the lower armored windscreen mirror showed an inverted image---or--vice versa, if the upper mirror was assigned the "secondary" mesh as for these mirrors, it showed an LSD image.

This is mesh and coding related afaik and outside my limits. Even more so, having two mirrors of that 'calibre' proved to be very FPS decreasing.

Same I saw on the Hornet SAS cockpits BTW, and any other two mirror setup even if only one mesh type was used.

So, I opted to keep my very long tested trusty P-51A pit mod and only add a 2nd version with very minorly different gauge and gauge reflection setups by Bolox, whom we owe this very cockpit anyway.

The real thing looks something like this, you WILL find different layouts for P-51A cockpits, e.g. with an all black front panel and a similar mirror as well as very saturated green. Well, I chose the setup I made and modified the base folders.

This is what I made, a better shaped gunsight by Bolox was rejected because the aiming view and FOV was completely too low, also the gunsight sank in the front cover, also incorrect. :D ;D

Here is (will be) the link, as I said WIP, left some marked out "-" files as options in.

https://www.mediafire.com/download/adi2u9c8uj95f07/%21%21%23%23_Early_P-51A_B_cockpitV2.rar

WIP, hope ok. For the mirror, trust me, tried all sorts of meshes, covers etc. and the simply unsophisticated slightly buggy sucker here is the only which gave a halfway convincing result, especially if you use the 2nd cockpit (zoomed in) view. :P

Link will come in this post as soon as I have tested the final version this week.

Along with additional screens.

A request for anyone willing to consider it, humble one:

Could you please check the P-51A "antenna"/cable to mast setup again, as well as the mirror setup:
According to my last research, P-51As (not the GB versions) did neither have canopy mounted top mirrors nor a 2nd "mast" towards the rudder section of the airframe...some links to shots:

This one was from Wiki and shows a P-51A before being transitioned to Great Britain IIRC
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/P-51-October1942.jpg

http://e-rav.pl/zdjecia/2007.jpg

Some more shots
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/North%20American%20P-51A%20Mustang/1142374/L/&width=1024&height=780&photo_nr=&sid=&set_photo_album=hide

http://www.angelfire.com/fm/compass/Mustang.htm

Apache pit

(for the mirror missing)

While the Pony pack P-51As look more pristine, on these little details a 2nd look might be rewarding.
TBH I tried to erase the additional mast/Mirror setup but had no joy...I repeat, I am not a modeller at all.

This is what we currently have...with the FM pack.

OK, will add the pit here this week later. Unfortunately it replaces the default P-51B pit, so you will have to make a choice.

Best Regards

Tom

I also try to fix up a comprehensive cockpit pack this summer, with Freddy B/C cockpits (new meshes by Jeronimo) and P-51Ds (Meshes Jeronimo) added some extra colour and reflection features, which I gave to all my privately flown P-51 pits.

This is Freddy's P-51C in my private layout..

Post edited, no pun or insult intended...hope it is acceptable.

Cheers

Tom

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 10:56:18 AM »

PS:
As for the gunsight (N3 version IIRC) sínking into the front panel cover, that is NOT per se wrong, so Bolox had a good point, but it is not what I found on all references.

As for the 2nd (below Apache) reference pic, I mean "mirror missing" on top of the canopy, of course there is one. ;)  ;D

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2016, 04:55:28 AM »

According to my last research, P-51As (not the GB versions) did neither have canopy mounted top mirrors nor a 2nd "mast" towards the rudder section of the airframe...

TBH I tried to erase the additional mast/Mirror setup but had no joy...I repeat, I am not a modeller at all.

... yep, you're right, and there's no additional mast in Barnesy's FM pack either ...  :P

You must have something else loading somewhere ...  ;)

Barnesy just replied to you at FM's ...

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2016, 06:07:37 AM »

Well, thank you for that info Mick.
I will carefully check my setup then again and see where it got messed up.
Last day I made sure to have the latest updates, hope that worked out.
Must be a conflict.

As I said, aynone is welcome to play with or improve on my P-51A alternative pit from the big post. Other than that, for some cockpit joy, I recommend the Freddy P-51B/C pits uploaded and modified here at SAS in the cockpits section (I had contacted him prior to that release).
Unfortunately these did not make it into IES. Be advised though, they have no internally opening canopies like the P-51A pit posted as well.
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,42222.0.html

I intend to upload the P-51A///P-51B/C Freddy cockpits as well
in one pack.

IMO it gets too confusing posting links to 3 different cockpit threads. ;)
Here is something I had posted for P-51Ds e.g.
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,46361.0.html

Bottom line of the cockpit composite packs I put together was using PA_Jeronimo's 3D upgrades for B/C and D versions as well as put into all pits an inner front glass/armored glass fix, thanks to PA_Jeronimo and (TBH) my own work as well.
Regarding communication with FM, that is a tad complex and I see the problems arising when I post in this thread (well I love P-51s). I would prefer carrying that to e-mails as example.
Anyway, will check what went south on my P-51A install. :P :)

Cheers

Tom

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2016, 12:48:17 PM »

Once I find the time I will add (if I am satisfied which is in doubt regarding my edits) a 3 cockpit pack, 2x Freddy and 1x P-51A.

I reloaded the package without additional manual updated files and now my P-51As seem to be on spot, can live with the external mirror, also found the culprit on the mirror I added to my pit, the base mirror mesh is tilted in a wrong angle.
But a mirror on the center position is a daring task anyway, the displayed image will show some artefacts and did so on all pits using it on these cockpits.

That is it from me, carry on guys, I will add any possible future cockpit in the beforementioned "Toms cockpit blabla" thread in our pits section.

Thanks again,

Chrs

Tom

Just for reference, not stirr up, a shot with the old AMT P-51, CzechTexan's Hengyang CBI map..

Edit: No, checked it again on a shot with the 2 mirror setup, the base mirror seemed to be fine. (cockpit...inside ;) )

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2016, 01:57:44 PM »

Oh boy, just discovered ALL new P-51s seem to have the kinked later P-51D wing. Big bummer. :( 

Some correct shaped wing examples
C model

http://airportjournals.com/wp-content/uploads/0705012_9.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P-51-October1942.jpg

Check the difference
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:375th_Fighter_Squadron_North_American_P-51D-5-NA_Mustang_44-13926.jpg

Again C model, no Malcolm hood
http://blog.airshowreview.com/2013-01-03/2012-best-photography-moments/04-air-to-air-2012-09-28_p-51c_mustang_0334/

I will try to fumble a fix together from old wing models...but cannot promise anything.
If I find a fix I will try to upload it.

BTW you also see that wing from the pit...that is why I am a tad sad, just finished the C model Freddy rework

That is with the old model. But once with the new C model Malcolm canopy/hood and the new spinners, hard to turn back. ;)

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2016, 04:13:30 AM »

To end the confusion of not being able to communicate about this I registered at Free IL-2 Modding and so I do not have to continue this ghost communication on the P-51 topic here. :P
BTW the "big bummer" is not a correct statement as I just saw the legacy AMT P-51As also seem to have the wrong shaped wings.

Anyway, I am off this topic, WIP pits in the respective thread if and when done. ;)
Cheerio

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 23 queries.