Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Gilbert_Marshall_Islands Map  (Read 18994 times)

dpeters95

• Modder
Re: Gilbert_Marshall_Islands Map
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 07:25:19 AM »

*****FULL UPDATE RELEASE*****

The first post has also been updated with the new download link:
https://www.mediafire.com/download/o0eio80lob0grcb/Gilbert_Marshall_Islands_3_15_2016.7z

I finally found a couple pictures of the O'Hare airfield (Abemama) and I was able to piece together what I believe it actually looked like in late 1943/Early 1944 so I updated the very generic looking airfield in my beta release and hopefully captured a more correct layout.

I also corrected one of the textures that was creating an error and the game not being able to load it correctly.

With those changes, I believe the map is no longer a beta version and can be called a final version.  Still, if anyone finds a problem, don't hesitate to let me know.  I can always update the map as needed.

Thanks,
Dennis

D.Rasta

• 4.12.2m + HSFX 7.03
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2016, 05:23:30 PM »

Can we hope that in the future, the map can be extended to the Rongerik-Utirik area?

US carrier task force attacked Roi-Namur from that area on 4/5 December 1943 and 29-30 January 1944 ...

Sorry for the audacity ...

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2016, 09:49:26 PM »

Can we hope that in the future, the map can be extended to the Rongerik-Utirik area?

US carrier task force attacked Roi-Namur from that area on 4/5 December 1943 and 29-30 January 1944 ...

Sorry for the audacity ...

Sorry, but the answer to that would be no.  The map is already as big as possible in a 1:2 scale.  To extend the map farther North to include that area, I would have to reduce the scale of the map even more!  I was just able to fit the airfields at this current scale so reducing the scale would make it impossible.  The only other way to add that area would be to cut off more of the Southern Gilbert Islands and that would mean losing the US airfield on Abemama and I don't want to do that.  Including US airfields and Japanese airfields on the same map in this area was the sole purpose for this map.

If you want to build missions in that specific region, I would recommend using "The Marshall Islands" map by DaveOD06.  It is a very good map that includes all of the Marshall Islands.

Dennis

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 10:47:28 AM »

Very well done Dennis!

Thanks a lot for this map..
 :P
Cheerio

Thorsten

Motörhead

• http://forum.aviaskins.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 01:45:49 PM »

Hi Dennis!
Your map is really good! I'm certainly use it in my "Pearl Harbor - Tokyo" next version. Your work give me possibility to recreate VMSB-231 with Elmer Glidden late war actions, thing i always dream about.
Theres one question. Is this possible, to add airfield on Majuro atoll? In 1944 there was a major USMC base. Based here is MAG-13 with VMSB-231 and VMSB-331.
I cannot find images of this airfield on Pacificwrecks, but here a quote from "History of Marine Corps Aviation in WWII" by Robert Sherrod, page 231:

What you think about it?
Ain't a hope in hell, nothing's gonna bring us down, The way we fly, five miles off the ground, It's a Bomber!

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 02:31:33 PM »

Motorhead,
   I was able to find an aerial view of Majuro Airfield and the timeline does fit the current map so, it looks like I have some more work to do!  They didn't host any large bomber planes so I should be able to physically get an airstrip there.

Stay tuned!

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2016, 07:54:09 AM »

*****FULL UPDATE RELEASE*****
March 29,2016

The first post has also been updated with the new download link:
https://www.mediafire.com/download/vy1v8o6g4on5fcg/Gilbert_Marshall_Islands_3_29_2016.7z

This update includes some minor fixes such as removing some random trees from the ocean  :o  and the addition of the US airfield on the Majuro Atoll.

Thank you to all those that have left feedback and kind words for the map!  I hope this will improve upon the previous version.  As always, if anyone finds a problem, don't hesitate to let me know.

Dennis

Motörhead

• http://forum.aviaskins.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2016, 09:07:11 AM »

Whow, thats great! Thank you Dennis! You build Majuro airfield faster than seabees in 1944))
Ain't a hope in hell, nothing's gonna bring us down, The way we fly, five miles off the ground, It's a Bomber!

NavyAce

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 02:40:22 PM »

Hi,
 I am having a map problem and I hope someone out there has the knowledge to help me fix things. I am wanting to build a mission with a squadron of P-39 fighter-bombers flying from Makin to strafe and shoot up the Japanese bases at Mili and Taroa. I selected the new map from dpeters at SAS titled Gilbert_Marshall_Islands. I originally downloaded and installed the only available version, which was 3_15_2016.7z. The map duly appeared in my FMB map list and when I clicked on it found that it loaded fine. However, when I scrolled down to the surface of the islands in question, I found that while there was plenty of detail, (hangars, objects, buildings, revetments, etc.), and although the runway end markers (white crosses) were visible, the runways themselves were not defined, and in fact in many cases appeared to have trees and other objects in between the end markers. This occurred in both 2D and 3D views. When the next version came along, 3_29_2016.7z, I downloaded it, uninstalled the old version, and installed the new one, thinking there might be some fixes in the new one. Unfortunately I had the same problem. The author of this map says that he does not have the same problem. In fact, he sent me a screen shot of the strip at Abemama, which shows a B-24 on a concrete runway. I am running v. 4.12.2m with the appropriate Mod Activators, Diff FM, Buttons, etc., but have no idea why this map isn't displaying properly. I even went into the Video Options Landscape Detail in the game and changed the default Excellent setting in the latter to Perfect, but it didn't help. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks.
 NavyAce

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 02:57:30 PM »

Can any of you smart fellas out there give NavyAce a hand with this problem...  I don't have a plain 4.12.2m installed but I do have CUP installed (which uses 4.12.2m) and I don't have any problems when I install it there.  I can't figure out why his map loads fine with no errors and he sees all the objects I have used but no runway surfaces???  I didn't use any special tiles for the runways.  Most are just the stock bitumen tiles and I didn't use any blank plates under the actual runways either.  I used some blank plates before and after some of the runways just to keep the autogen trees away but that's it.  I don't think I have ever seen anyone post this type of problem before...

NavyAce was the person who originally requested that I build this map so I would really like for him to be able to load it properly!   ;)

Dennis

bergkamp

• If you can't find it here, it doesn't exist
  • Modder
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 06:18:20 AM »

Ok. I think I have found the problem. I could not get the runway plates on the map to show up in a basic 412modact install. However, all was good in a TFM412 and CUP install. It seems to be down to missing static. I copied over my static .ini from CUP into my basic 412 modact and the runways now show up on the map. Not the perfect solution as this may cause other problems, but it looks as though just a couple of lines of static need to be added into NavyAces's modact ini.

EDIT

For NavyAce and basic ModAct install only. Drop this 3do fix into your MAPMODS folder https://www.mediafire.com/download/dns9hjixnq74554/Gilbert_Marshal_Addon.rar and insert the following lines into your static .ini file (can be placed at the end of the file):

Code: [Select]
//===========================================================================
[***]
Title CanonBitumenEarthGroundPlate

[buildings.Plate$bitumenearthGroundParking]
Title           Parking
Mesh            3do/airfield/bitumenearth/Parking/mono.sim

[buildings.Plate$bitumenearthGroundParkingSide]
Title           ParkingSide
Mesh            3do/airfield/bitumenearth/ParkingSide/mono.sim

[buildings.Plate$bitumenearthGroundParkingCorner]
Title           ParkingCorner
Mesh            3do/airfield/bitumenearth/ParkingCorner/mono.sim

[buildings.Plate$bitumenearthGroundRunway]
Title           Runway
Mesh            3do/airfield/bitumenearth/Runway/mono.sim

[buildings.Plate$bitumenearthGroundRunwayEnd]
Title           RunwayEnd
Mesh            3do/airfield/bitumenearth/RunwayEnd/mono.sim

[buildings.Plate$bitumenearthGroundTaxi]
Title           Taxi
Mesh            3do/airfield/bitumenearth/Taxi/mono.sim

[buildings.Plate$bitumenearthGroundTaxiEnd]
Title           TaxiEnd
Mesh            3do/airfield/bitumenearth/TaxiEnd/mono.sim

[buildings.Plate$bitumenearthGroundTurn]
Title           Turn
Mesh            3do/airfield/bitumenearth/Turn/mono.sim

// eof

Regards,

Bergkamp 

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 08:54:22 AM »

EDIT:

Aghhhh, bergkamp edited his post while I was posting!   :D

Thank you for your help kind sir!  I did, however, also use "Pac_Sandplate" tile for the runway on the Majuro Atoll.

***** I have deleted my original post to avoid any confusion *****

Dennis
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 24 queries.