Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead.sim and object not 'dying'  (Read 11504 times)

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
Dead.sim and object not 'dying'
« on: February 13, 2016, 02:10:17 PM »

Some of you may be aware I've created a few objects for the game.  Having said that, I'm still learning.  Perhaps someone answered this and I just didn't see it but I can't seem to "destroy" my objects.
For example:

My fuel bowser.  I created a 'Live.sim' object and a 'Dead.sim' object.  I placed the bowser on a runway, spawned a B25 as the player aircraft and using the turret fired at the bowser.
No reaction at all.  The bullets seemed to pass right through it.  No explosion and no switching to the 'dead' object.

I've been told it may be something to do with 'hit boxes' but I have no idea what they are and how I incorporate them into my 3D model in 3dsMax. 

Any help/instruction/info is definitely appreciated.

Thanks.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
Re: Dead.sim and object not 'dying'
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 03:01:37 PM »

Hi tomoose.

I answer you about your question in PM, please check your PM box.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 11:45:11 PM »

i have a similar question, relating to a him file, rather than a sim, though...
currently i'm working on adding crew to the U-boats, and although many of them that i'm using do have a 'dead' version, i don't know (or even if it's possible) to make individual crew 'die' - so, for instance, if i strafe a U-boat and hit some crew, is it possible to have those crew switch to a 'dead' version, or not?
i might continue this in a superschool thread, depending on the replies... ;)
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 01:25:00 AM »

Malone's question is not only 3D Hit box one, plus, ship modding technique one.

Ship objects are implemented by 2 different ways in IL-2 1946.
One is ships.ini style (big ships like Carriers / Battleships / Cruisers / new Destroyers) , another is technics.ini style (old Destroyers / small Boats / old U-Boats).
Please check the U-Boat object you want to edit uses which way.

I've made ship MODs by only ships.ini style, I have only its knowledge.
In looking into technics.ini with stock ships, technics.ini cannot do Malone's request, probably.
ships.ini can do it, I know.
Converting technics.ini into ships.ini is able, when your request ships using technics.ini , that converting is needed but possible.

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 12:39:20 PM »

Western;
thanks.  I'll check my PM.  Much appreciated.

SAS~Malone

• Editor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 11:08:09 PM »

Ship objects are implemented by 2 different ways in IL-2 1946.
One is ships.ini style (big ships like Carriers / Battleships / Cruisers / new Destroyers) , another is technics.ini style (old Destroyers / small Boats / old U-Boats).

western, my hope is to expand the project to all submarines that don't already have crew, and my initial testing is done on the VIIC Swordfish, which is a mod U-boat.
i suspect any editing needs to be done via the ships.ini, because tin the technics.ini file there is little reference to these U-boats (which are essentially a cloned stock U-boat VIIC with a different skin). in fact, there only seem to be technics entries for the submerged U-boat, not for the surfaced one - this is true of both the stock and modded version.
now, while i started my project by adding meshes to the mod U-boat - in my test mission, i have the stock VIIC next to it.
i discovered while testing, that the modded U-boat does not behave as the stock one - where the stock one guns are active, and they track and fire at enemy aircraft, the modded U-boat does not. the guns do nothing at all.
initially, i though maybe it's the new meshes i've added that caused this behavior, but it's not - i placed another VIIC class modded U-boat in the mission, this one without adding any crew meshes, and this sub also does not fire at or even track any aircraft.
to confirm this, i then added crew meshes to the stock VIIC sub, and this one still tracks and fires at enemy aircraft - so, my conclusion is that adding the crew meshes is not responsible for these subs not firing, but the problem lies with the mod itself.
these subs: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,7108.msg72492.html#msg72492

SAS~Malone

• Editor
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 11:35:16 PM »

just to avoid confusion, a screen showing the stock VIIC firing, while the two MOD VIIC's do nothing.

i can't see any difference between the ships.ini entry for the stock VIIC and the Modded ones, so my guess is that the cause of this problem lies within hte classes for this U=Boat mod?
is that a safe assumption to make?

Stainless

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 02:29:29 AM »

I can see a way of making crew die.

• Assign a unique collision mesh to each crew member
  • Have two msh files for the crew and two mesh nodes in each crew member (one alive and visible, one dead and hidden)
  • In the java class detect any hits on the collision meshes and swap which mesh node is visible

Java coding I'm afraid but I think it would work.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 02:48:31 AM »

About ships.ini style ships, its damaging logic is under almost Stainless says. Those replacing or hiding mesh function is prepared by stock BigshipGeneric.class codes, no need more modding java coding.

The mesh node named with postfix "_x" is a hidden part when damaged.
In that U-Boat MOD, these entries are so.
Code: [Select]
[VIICU124_Srf:Part7]
BaseChunk WireF_x
strengthBasedOnThisSection strength_HullTiny

[VIICU124_Srf:Part8]
BaseChunk WireT_x
When WireF_x or WireT_x is damaged, it will be hidden and preparing hidden mesh node is not needed.
This function is also used small gunners like 25mm or 20mm , 12.7mm.
They are named "Head10_x" and "Gun10_x".

When you want damaged crews with red blood and falling down, preparing that 3D mesh data file and hier.him node with its name postfix "_dmg" and Hidden.
Like in hier.him
[crewA]
Mesh crewA
Parent _ROOT_
Attaching 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1  10.5 0.0 2.55
CollisionObject crewA
[crewA_dmg]
Mesh crewA_dmg
Parent _ROOT_
Attaching 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1  10.5 0.0 2.55
Hidden
[crewB]
Mesh crewB
Parent _ROOT_
Attaching 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1  -2.2 0.0 2.55
CollisionObject crewB
[crewB_dmg]
Mesh crewB_dmg
Parent _ROOT_
Attaching 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1  -2.2 0.0 2.55
Hidden
and ships.ini
[VIICU124_Srf:Part9]
BaseChunk crewA

[VIICU124_Srf:Part10]
BaseChunk crewB
When the crewA is damaged, crewA.msh is turned-off (hidden) and crewA_dmg.msh is turn-on (shown).
crewB is also.

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 05:29:40 AM »

-
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 05:45:55 AM »

Hello tomoose, below are images of a figure used in the upload of the Geezer objects, British Officer,
that will hopefully explain the way a object is destroyed in the game. ;)

If I extract this figure from gmax as it is, notice it is on the centre line and standing upright, I will
be able to place it on a map just by adding the necessary entries to the static.ini.

Done in that way the figure is only placed and will not be destroyed, two other things are needed.

If you open the mesh in notepad you will see this hook entry at the top:

For vehicles or any object to be destroyed it must first be attached to the ground with this hook, here it is
visually on the figure:

Besides that it needs what is generally termed a hit box, any bullets or shells that touch this area will destroy the
figure:

The entry for that is here at the end of the mesh text:

These were borrowed from another of my projects so the hit box is not covering the figure but it does not really matter
as it works anyway although anything hitting the figure above the box will go through it.

Not sure if this would be applicable for the submarine figures though as I have never tried doing that, sorry.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

SAS~Malone

• Editor
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 06:34:09 AM »

thanks for some useful info here, guys - i'll make adjustments to the torps (the way i'm structuring the hier file edits should allow for a simple copy/paste edit to enable the particular level of crew activity) - so, for example, level 1 will just be 2-4 guys on the conning tower, level 2 a few more guys on the guns and deck, level 3 very busy with lots of stuff on the deck -
it'll hopefully be quite easy to use when i finish it.
i guess the next issue i'm facing is why half the modded U-boats don't use their guns....  :P
actually, before i get stuck into that, is there anyone who can confirm my findings of the mod U-boots not firing their guns?
so, for example, any of the modded VIIC boats - the Swordfish, RO500, U124, U564 and VIIC Winter boats...?
test by having an enemy plane fly over them and see what the guns behavior is... in my case, the guns do squat, they don't move, fire, nothing....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 25 queries.