Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WIP: Campaigning in CUP (using campaigns not originally designed for CUP)  (Read 9819 times)

Griffon_301

• SAS Team

After a short discussion today with Simon I have decided to start this thread which can grow into a collection of campaigns that work in CUP, even though they may not have been designed for our baby...

first of all, lets state a few things before we proceed:

1) pls do not ask for each and every campaign you come across if it is compatible with CUP - instead try for yourself and if successful, post the results here; (I will post a short guide on how to find out a few lines down this thread)
2) if you run into troubles with a certain campaign, try to find out why (see guide)- pls post the results here
3) you may ask for conversions of existing campaigns, pls formulate your request politely though; Guys like Simon are hard at work creating and improving our baby, Peter is still working on getting a usable CUP and others might not have much time either; but rest assured that our resident campaign creators are hard at work to create some marvellous stuff for us to dig our greedy fingers into...
4) when a campaign definitely works in CUP, pls post a link here: we will all be thankful for stuff to throw at the modules to see them running in their full glory!
5) let us work together to create a basepack of usable campaigns in CUP, no matter which module

now for some technical stuff:

1) CUP is 4.12.2; campaigns designed for other versions (and modpacks based on other versions) may or may ot work (although the probability is high that you will run into troubles)
if designed for stock versions of the game, you may be successful in getting older stuff to run though....

2) campaigns designed for stock 4.12 or HSFX 7 may work but that is also not guaranteed; I admit I have not tried any HSFX stuff in CUP, so if anyone has more experience in this field, pls post your observations;

3) if a campaign mission does not run properly in CUP, do not despair - FMB AND LOGFILE ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND! - why? - read on

how to troubleshoot:

if you want to know if a chosen campaign will run in CUP, do not ask here first: use the 5 minutes it might take to start a thread and fire up your module instead, and load the first mission into FMB; if the FMB throws up any error messages, you will get a first impression of what might be missing;

if the FMB does not throw up any errors, good for you! - CUP compatibility of the campaign seems to be possible (one caveat remains though...more on that later)

if it does show certain stuff to be missing though, you got a problem: either add the missing stuff (loosing stock CUP compatibility in the process), delete or change the missing objects into stuff that is in CUP, or wait till someone converts this specific campaign into a CUP compatible one or Simon releases a further expansion of the module in question, adding the missing stuff that way;

the caveat: even if a mission does not throw up errors when you load it into FMB, it does not mean that the mission will work; I just experienced such an error a few minutes ago with a QMBPro mission running in a modified WAW module;
the mission had some B-24Js in the stationary part of the properties file, but the B-24J is remmed out in that modified module; so FMB did not throw any error messages at me, but when I fired up the mission, I got some weird psychedelic effects; only after substituting the B-24J with a plane I had activated in the air.ini (a Whitley in my case) did the mission work properly;

what this means is, that even if you have all necessary aircraft in your module, if the mission calls for a loadout you do not have, the mission will crash!

so what I am doing when first trying to get an impression if a campaign might run in CUP is open up the properties files and look through them; with a little experience you will quickly learn to find out, where troubles might arise...

...and that might be one of the following areas:

- missing aircraft and/or loadouts
- missing objects (chief, stationary, ships)
- missing maps (or older maps that have been renamed...)

CUP has learned a lot of new tricks since being released, but some things are still missing so it is good to know where to look in missions and campaigns if they will run;
(as said, campaigns and missions designed for older versions might work, but you will surely loose the advanced 4.12 features; C&C might be working again though with the latest WAW and JTW release, so lets keep fingers crossed that we will get proper night fighting campaigns up and running again...

now for the best part - campaigns that will run in CUP:

first of course, the wonderful campaigns from Simon himself, who is about to release some great stuff for all modules;
his older works for TFM 4.12 is working, though I have not tried each and everything so I cannot guarantee that everything runs as intended (a check as described above might come in handy)

Peter (Poltava) has done some great conversions of some of his older stuff that now runs in 4.12 and profits from the changes introduced;

over at M4T there is a guy called ponyboy314 who has done some marvellous stuff too:
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=search&sa=44624

also over at M4T, you will find certain other 4.12 campaigns that work (I have tried single missions from some of them and did not experience any troubles; things said about stock 4.12 compatibility apply here)

HSFX 7 campaigns should be tested, pls post results...

a guy named Poussin has done some cool campaigning stuff, unfortunately his files are offline at M4T, so maybe if you read this, pls reupload them; your USMC nightfighter campaign is quite nice to play after putting in the available F4U-2N

some older stuff also seems to work - first and foremost the World War 2 cruise trilogy also available at M4T (I am a PTO guy at heart)
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=search&sa=5125

ok guys, so lets start collecting our impressions and observations about campaigning in CUP here;
I am looking forward to reading about them :)

ps.: the second post will be reserved for links to campaigns that are confirmed as working in CUP without needing to convert and/or rework them (of course if they get reworked to make them even better at a later date, the better for us)

pps.: if anyone wants to add to or correct some stuff that I have written, pls do so, I admit I am no expert with FMB stuff..
cheers
Phil

Griffon_301

• SAS Team
Re: WIP: Campaigning in CUP (using campaigns not originally designed for CUP)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 12:50:03 PM »

RESERVED

Ibis

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 03:26:14 AM »

I am not sure if this is what you are after,
I have just tried to run Monty's campaign "Eagles" and I get a message something along the lines of   "you have no F9F-4 in your install a PA11 will be used instead"
When checking the drop down box for aircraft in the full mission builder I find F9F-2, F9F-6, F9F-8, F9F-8T
 so the specified aircraft is missing.

thanks,
    Ibis

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 02:08:15 AM »

I am not sure if this is what you are after,
I have just tried to run Monty's campaign "Eagles" and I get a message something along the lines of   "you have no F9F-4 in your install a PA11 will be used instead"
When checking the drop down box for aircraft in the full mission builder I find F9F-2, F9F-6, F9F-8, F9F-8T
 so the specified aircraft is missing.

thanks,
    Ibis

It sounds like you are out of date.  JTW Part-08 - You need JTW Part-09 and Part-09B.

Ibis

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 03:52:12 AM »

Thanks Monty, I thought I had it. Will check.
 cheers m8

That was it, old timers is catching up with me, I was sure that I had installed it.
 Now working great.

thanks again.

bergkamp

• If you can't find it here, it doesn't exist
  • Modder
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 06:58:18 AM »

Griffon,

I note you have a preference to PTO campaigns. These 3 were big favourites of mine in DBW4.10 days:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=1766

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2273

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2016

I have converted/played/tested for CUP compatibility with these results:

Peleliu - Map load .ini name had to be changes in all mission files. No missing objects/ships/planes. Campaign tested and completed in CUP

Guam - Plays straight off the bat. Tested and all missions load. No update required to mis file, no missing objects

Iwo Jima - Not yet fully converted. Map load .ini needs no alteration. No missing objects but ships need alteration. I have tested the first 10 missions. There is no problem per se but where there are more than two CV's in a mission, PhilK has duplicated the object. I'm guessing because back then, there was not the range of CV objects available in IL2. I am in the process of replacing the CV's with those historically used at Iwo Jima.

If this is the sort of thing you are looking for, I can upload the revamped campaigns, otherwise, just use for information.

Best Regards,

Bergkamp

Griffon_301

• SAS Team
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 08:48:39 AM »

Thank you very very much - and well spotted :) I indeed have a soft spot for naval aviation and related campaigns :)
and btw, I was toying with the idea of giving these campaigns a go myself;
but then again, that´s why I have created this thread, to give users well versed in analyzing their modded game a platform to post campaigns created for older versions but still playable in 4.12/CUP;

to answer your question, yes pls upload the reworked campaigns here, I guess there will be more happy guys here than just me :)

cheers
phil

btw.: the three part PTO Tour of Duty campaign is also great stuff, I need to analyze this during the christmas holidays and see if I can get it running properly in CUP

bergkamp

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 04:51:14 AM »

Here are my reworked campaigns "Hell-in-the-Pacific". PhilK's work still looks fantastic, even after 8 years since release!

https://www.mediafire.com/download/7i6d8okkuov31rx/Hell_in_the_Pacific.rar

I was not able to do much with the Peleliu campaign, other than change the map load.ini, to show a more up to date map. I made changes to the ships used in the campaign, which worked fine when testing in FMB. However, when I tried to run as a pilot career, I got the "career already exists" message. No matter what I did, I couldn't make it work. Therefor, the Peleliu campaign runs pretty much as per original but detracts nothing from the enjoyment.

Hope you like them and all credits to PhilK.

Best Regards,

Bergkamp

Griffon_301

• SAS Team
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 05:47:24 AM »

hey wow thanks a lot :)
will give those camps a try in my holidays next week

cheers
phil

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 11:23:51 AM »

Thanks for your efforts bergkamp!

bergkamp

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 03:42:42 PM »

Thanks for kind comments. Still trying to find a solution to that "career already exists" bug. Searching the various forums, others have referenced to it but cannot find an answer, if indeed there is one.

bergkamp

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 03:33:48 AM »

I am in the process of  putting the finishing touches on converting this campaign designed for HSFX to fully CUP compatible:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=918

I am currently playtesting and provided I receive no objections or do not upset anyone, this should be available by the weekend.

I know Monty has a Korea campaign in the pipeline, so hopefully, this will keep you going until then.

EDIT. Owing to me watching the cricket yesterday (sorry, Malone if you read this) and, of course football,there will be a delay in uploading this campaign.

Best Regards,

Bergkamp
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 27 queries.