Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HOTAS stick support  (Read 2211 times)

Nicholaiovitch

HOTAS stick support
« on: October 29, 2015, 11:22:44 AM »

I finally weakened and took advantage of the recent sale but now wish I had read the posts about lack of support for HOTAS sticks such as my X52 Pro.

I have seen all the posts both here and on the BOS Forum but I wonder if any of you chaps know if the following will be addressed:-

1) - Lack of trim axis support (Only button presses accepted)
    -Many posts on this subject but is there any sign that the developers are listening? This is a pretty basic requirement for a stick such as the X52.

2) - Lack of support for HOTAS software such as that for Saitek.
    -If you use the X52 software to try and prog. button presses the BOS entry ignores the "Shift" key or "Ctrl" key and only enters the button press e.g if you prog. an X52 button to give you "Shift+T you only get the "T" reducing the availability of key programming to just QWERTY key entries.
    - Other flight sims such as IL2 Sturmovik, CLOD and FSX all allow you to prog. your stick buttons the way you want them and so achieve one profile covering all the different sims.

To be honest, if I had known this I would have left well alone and continued with Il-2 Sturmovik.
I just hope the developers will get these things sorted with so any posts that I have now found!

Perhaps it is just old age getting to me!

Nicholaiovitch :(

LuseKofte

Re: HOTAS stick support
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 03:30:46 PM »

I got a very advanced cockpit system and I was upset by the developers explanation about the lack of hotas control on Trim and other stuff. They made that choise (they say) because their targeted customers cannot afford expencive equipment, yet they have a very capable interface making you choose to use buttons or hotas for all key mapping. The problem with trim is they got only trim up and trim down, and you will need two hoots to run it.
Putting that aside many Russian planes had two buttons to operate flaps and such. But it is no excuse, They had the option Trim only before the feature was added in early Alpha version. And it was changed when trim feature was added, I think it got something with the Game engine, they have admitted they lack capable coders. This game would have been far better if it was based on Direct x 11 and not the old 9 .
But now with summer map and newly tweaked DM I think the game have been much better, and much more interesting

Dakpilot

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 01:37:51 AM »

I don't use X52 and am unfamiliar with the software, but there is some info on using the software to introduce a  'press' delay to enable the use of shift and Ctrl apparently some other games suffer from same issue with Saitek and there is a known fix/workaround

Rotaries work on Bf109 and Fw190 Stabilisers which work the same as normal trim but function in a slightly different way,  as LuseKofte said many of Soviet A/C had button trim and not rotary historically, many have said that the no trim rotary was a way to bypass the "trim on a slider" exploit famous in Il-2 46 MP

It works quite well to put all trim/stabilisers on a hat switch

Cheers Dakpilot

Nicholaiovitch

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 04:37:44 AM »

Thanks chaps.....

Hmmm.....yes I had read about the button delay to achieve "shift" / "Alt" prefix so I will give that a try.

Many of the older Russian a/c had manual trim wheels....Lagg etc. It would seem logical to be able to use a trim wheel also but I do understand the use of the slider issue ( in particular it was used in IL2 to get multiple flap positions in a/c that did not have this facility IRL until they stopped it I think by software)

After years of using the X52 trim wheel I will have to adapt I suppose....or hope that by restricting the speed of trim operation (software limiting) they will eventually get this sorted.

Thanks for your input Lusekofte and Dakpilot.

Nicholaiovitch :)

Dakpilot

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 05:11:32 AM »

Yes it is a pain, it would be great to use something like Saitek trim wheel on aircraft that had historically a real trim wheel,

For some reason only known to Dev's the limiting of speed of trim is only working with the functioning of Full stabilator on German aircraft, it is a well known issue and hopefully proper exploit free historical trim will be added sooner rather than later.

The latest ground handling update really is something special and to be enjoyed  ;)

Cheers Dakpilot
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 28 queries.