Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Moravian Gate  (Read 11340 times)

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
The Moravian Gate
« on: October 27, 2015, 08:48:29 PM »

This map is released to celebrate Czech Independence Day, October 28.

The Moravian Gate map represent(s the historical passageway into Moravia (Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia).  In early 1945 the Soviet 4th Ukrainian Front along with the Czech Tank Brigade and Czech pilots (airfield at Poremba which is on the map) made their way into this region.

It is a small map compared to what I've done in the past so it's not taking as long to do.  After I started this map I realized I should have mapped all of Moravia but decided to just do what I had started.

I've done more historical research to try to make airfields in correct locations.  I found a Luftwaffe airfield list for Moravia which has helped.  Rivers, roads, cities were copied onto the map using Layers from modern maps in Gimp so that it's more accurate.  Unfortunately, modern cities are larger than in 1945 so I had to erase a little to  make them smaller.

Link to the Finalized map here:  https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,52477.0.html

Below shows most of the area.  There is a little more to the south which includes Zlin, Zilinia, and the Strecno pass...

The main battle area is in the north around Ostrava...

Above Dolni Benesov airfield.  Hlucin at the end of the starboard wingtip.  Ostrava is in the background...

Hrabyne in the background - site of heavy fighting for Allies to take the hill ...

Olomouc with its 2 airfields...

Prerov airfield...

Prostejov with its 3 German airfields...

Vyskov airfield...

Otrokovice airfield...

One personal reason for making this map is that it shows all the places where all my ancestors come from.  Here are 3 of the places:
Novy Hrozenkov...

Lipnik nad Becvou...

Frydek-Mistek...

Border lines are modern.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to auto-pop the cities/towns.  I used city textures from the Battle of Moscow map.  IMO those look very good and the map is enjoyable to fly over without cities populated.  The time period is early Spring so farmer's fields and pastures are shades of green.  Later I'll make a winter map.

242Sqn_Cat

Re: The Moravian Gate
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 04:55:09 AM »

Looking really good - thankyou. Looking forward to the download.
:cheers:

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 07:59:21 AM »

Good job CzechTexan! :)

MR_G

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 12:15:58 PM »

Looks like it can also be used in the invasion of Poland, 1939. The air war was very minor.

"Two or three Slovak air squadrons (codenamed ?alia, Lily) were used for reconnaissance, bombing and close support for German fighters. Two planes were lost (one to anti-aircraft fire, one to an accidental crash), and one enemy plane was shot down. Total Slovak infantry losses during the campaign were 37 dead, 114 wounded and 11 missing."

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 02:22:41 PM »

Looks like it can also be used in the invasion of Poland, 1939. The air war was very minor.

Yes, indeed.  I was aware that this region was utilized by the Germans to invade Poland.  There are a couple of airfields used by the Germans for that purpose.  One was near Mostov, near the present day Airport.  Although those battles did not last long and one-sided, we could make larger non-historical scenarios between Germans and Poles.  There are 3 Polish airfields on the map.

Cloyd

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 05:15:36 PM »

Happy Independence Day C-T.

Only 3 years to the centennial.

Maro

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 02:30:58 AM »

Perfect map!

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 02:49:10 PM »

Hi, CzechTexan,
I am sorry I overlooked this nice map. Was it released, please ? I cannot find the link.
Btw, your note about good-looking cities without autopopulation is very interesting,
perhaps I can use this approach for smaller villages and hamlets. Thanks for inspiration.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 04:47:43 PM »

hi Uzin, I did re-learn how to use the auto-pop so now the map is popped!  There are so many towns and villages that the best way was to auto-pop this map.  Previously, on my other maps, I used copy/paste to populate.  It does give you the ability to make all places different looking...but it does take longer to accomplish.

Moravian Gate/Ostrava is almost finished.  A WIP/version 1 will soon be ready to download.  I'd like to add more historical landmarks and make cities look more like they are in real life - but that will have to come later.  Maybe someone else could add the landmarks because I probably could not do it justice.

There is no download link available, yet.  Please wait a day or two. 

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 07:32:49 PM »

Hi Jeff,
A different/nice break from the AVG so to speak :D

Great job and well done  :D

I read you and Uzin loud and clear about Auto pop.

I could never ever wrap my head around that little beastie  :D

Am looking forward to download soon  :D

Cheers
Kirby

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 02:20:25 AM »

Hi, CzechTexan,
guys at Svet virtualnich kridel are glad that you made airfields so nicely.
Olda Maly suggests some improvements concerning Olomouc airfield, offers his special hangars made for the purpose. Link to him is here:

http://vwings.net/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=4924&pid=254273#post_254273

and personally here:

http://vwings.net/messages.php?msg_send=654

Best regards,
Ivan
EDIT:
Olda Maly wrote that he has Olomouc airfield with errors, asked me to correctify the above note.
So it is done here.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 05:23:03 PM »

hi Ivan,  yes, I understood that Olda Maly was referring to errors on the other map that he has.  As of now, nobody has my Ostrava map.  I will hopefully upload mine this weekend.  They can add the new hangars if they want to do it themselves.  They can also add other objects and add landmark buildings where necessary.  I just ask that they do not make changes to airfields, unless it is a big issue and they notify me first.

To answer some of their questions about me...
I am American, living in Texas.  My great grandparents were all immigrants from Moravia - as most Czech immigrants to Texas were from Moravia.  Yes, there are Czech communities in Texas but as more years pass they get more "Americanized".  However, they do have festivals and try to hold on to their heritage.

Unfortunately, I do not speak Czech but maybe some basic words - as most of my generation speaks only English.
I did not know about their website and forum and I do not know the language so that is why I did not participate.
I wish them well and would like to thank them for reaching out to me about this map.

If they would like to comment about the map they can do that here or send a PM.  I can use Google Translator if it's in Czech!
Ivan, can you tell them what I wrote here?  I'd appreciate it.  Thank you for  being the go-between  ;D
-Jeff/CT

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 26 queries.