Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to make a 3rd party DGen campaign from scratch?  (Read 3037 times)

vonOben

• Modder
  • Wer den Tod fürchtet, hat das Leben verloren.
    • vonOben's Flight Sim Mods
How to make a 3rd party DGen campaign from scratch?
« on: October 25, 2015, 04:18:10 AM »

Hi

There are several guides about how to make DCG campaigns, but not so much about DGen campaign building.
I've found a few old guides over at Mission4Today:
Amiga's DGen guide from 2005
VTrelut’s DGen Troubleshooting guide from 2007

Does these guides still apply when using DGen_Mod and modded IL-2 enviroment for a new DGen campaign?

Can you please share some hints and tips how to start?

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers

vonOben
vonOben's Flight Sim Mods  http://vonoben.free.fr/ Twenty Years online January 3, 2022!

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
Re: How to make a 3rd party DGen campaign from scratch?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 09:50:22 AM »

Does these guides still apply when using DGen_Mod and modded IL-2 enviroment for a new DGen campaign?

Basically yes.

Latest Asura's DGen, though, has an its own User Manual in Russian! :P (Just kidding, earlier version have also a guide in English).

What do you plan to do, exactly? I can try to help, but things may vary significantly between Starshoy's and Asura's DGen, stock and modded, PTO or not, etc. Help must be well focused.

Cheers,
GB
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

vonOben

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 05:11:13 AM »

Hi Greybeard

There are a few DGen campaigns I haven't been able to find:
A DGen SCW campaign using maps of Spain.
A DGen Poland 1939 campaign using the map of Poland 1939 by Uzin.
Those campaigns would be nice to fly before your DGen campaigns: Bataille de France and The Few.

I've read your topic "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About DGen...", do your findings still apply to the latest DGen_Mod version?

Cheers
vonOben
vonOben's Flight Sim Mods  http://vonoben.free.fr/ Twenty Years online January 3, 2022!

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »

There are a few DGen campaigns I haven't been able to find:
A DGen SCW campaign using maps of Spain.
A DGen Poland 1939 campaign using the map of Poland 1939 by Uzin.

Those campaigns you mention can't exist for Starshoy's Dgen, since this latter has, hardcoded inside, all maps (and aircraft) it can use, which are those included in last 1C's game official version, the 4.08. All maps added later by Team Daidalos, as well as aircraft, are unrecognized by DGen and, if you build a campaign containing one of them, an error is issued by DGen as soon as it find unknown elements written in files. The stock generator is even more touchy, since it has also hardcoded the side for which each aircraft may play; so, if you set Hurricane I for Reds, immediately it gives error!

You may build, instead, any campaign you want with any map (and aircraft) you wish by Asura's DGen_mod: basically, you need only to set for the new map relevant aerodromes, cities and bridges (how to is described in the Manual). Of course, you must as well make the two required MIS files (Red and Blue) for each campaign segment, to allow the generator picking target and objects from the two sides, according to frontline layout.

Obviously, this is just a sketch, and to put this in practice requires a considerable amount of time and patience, but can be done, and has been done, so, I think, it's mainly matter of passion which motivates, together with a minimum of IQ and common sense.

I've read your topic "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About DGen...", do your findings still apply to the latest DGen_Mod version?

Not quite.

Hi,
GB
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

vonOben

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 06:08:16 AM »

I think, it's mainly matter of passion which motivates, together with a minimum of IQ and common sense.

Ha Ha, that sounds reassuring   ;D

So the hardcoded DGen limitations you wrote about in the "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About DGen..." isn't a problem if you use DGen_mod and new maps?

May I use your DGen files from "Bataille de France" as a starting point when I start editing for the new campaigns?

Ciao

vonOben

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 06:41:41 AM »

So the hardcoded DGen limitations ... isn't a problem if you use DGen_mod and new maps?

Just remove new maps from the statement. New maps (and new planes and new features) are allowed with DGen_mod. Campaign "The Few" I mentioned earlier is an example, since it uses Canon's Channel Map, which is unknown by the old DGen!

May I use your DGen files from "Bataille de France" as a starting point when I start editing for the new campaigns?

You can do whatever you want with my campaigns. ;)

S!
GB

vonOben

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 05:13:31 AM »

Thank you greybeard  :)  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 26 queries.