Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 ... 532   Go Down

Author Topic: Quest: Guess what is depicted here  (Read 967138 times)

SAS~GJE52

• Editor
  • Orchard Studios
Re: Quest: Guess what is depicted here
« Reply #1296 on: February 22, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »

Hurricane ....... ?

I don't know what you are putting in your coffee these days ... but I'll have one too .....   ;)

Yes of course it is the very sleek looking He-119 landplane ... even more correct, because there also was a floatplane version, but sadly neither were put into production...

Ok, have a cigar ... it's your turn.

G;
Do not criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...  Then you can call him what you like, as you have his shoes ... and he is a mile away......

P51vsFw190

• Flying Ass Clown #5/#7
  • Supporter
  • Connoisseur of strange aircraft
« Reply #1297 on: February 22, 2017, 09:52:11 AM »

One that's close to my heart and my home

Have fun!

please don't cheat with the info on the bottom of the photo

“German humor is no laughing matter”

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #1298 on: February 22, 2017, 10:42:18 AM »

No need to cheat, I've been in the german Navy for 9 years and have seen a couple of these, albeit not in use by the polish, but the U.S. Navy (poland aquired these helis when I've left the navy already).
It's a Kaman SH-2G Super Seasprite and as stated already, it belongs to the polish navy.
Poland purchased two US Navy missile frigates of the Oliver Hazard Perry class in 1999.
In 2001, four SH-2G were bought from the US Navy stock, they were introduced into polish service in 2002-2003, after having server in the US Navy since 1992/93.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

P51vsFw190

• Flying Ass Clown #5/#7
  • Supporter
  • Connoisseur of strange aircraft
« Reply #1299 on: February 22, 2017, 11:09:08 AM »

Very good Mike! That is absolutely correct!

These beautiful babies were produced about ten miles from my house and every weekend I get to sit in one.

Cheers!
“German humor is no laughing matter”

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #1300 on: February 22, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »

every weekend I get to sit in one
...in the museum?

Anyway, next quest:

Best regards - Mike

Gaston

• Modder
« Reply #1301 on: February 22, 2017, 01:23:03 PM »

If I am correct, this is a Russian plane... not a bi-plane... not a mono-plane... a bit of the 2... depends if on the ground or not...

SAS~GJE52

• Editor
  • Orchard Studios
« Reply #1302 on: February 22, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »

I initially thought it was one of the Polikarpov i-5 or i-6 variants    :-|

but I think it could be a Nikitin IS1 (as the IS2 was similar but had slightly different undercarriage doors)

IS2

G;
Do not criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...  Then you can call him what you like, as you have his shoes ... and he is a mile away......

Gianky

« Reply #1303 on: February 22, 2017, 01:28:53 PM »

Hurricane ....... ?

I don't know what you are putting in your coffee these days ... but I'll have one too .....   ;)

Well,at least he didn't say it was a swedish Hurricane.... :D

Gaston

• Modder
« Reply #1304 on: February 22, 2017, 01:33:50 PM »

The time I look in one of my books, and you got it, I think, GJE52... IS1, I think too... but you got it first !

SAS~GJE52

• Editor
  • Orchard Studios
« Reply #1305 on: February 22, 2017, 03:16:03 PM »

It could be ........ but this is Mike don't forget and he is a devious SOB........  ;)

G;

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #1306 on: February 22, 2017, 11:00:54 PM »

it could be a Nikitin IS1
In fact it is :)

Some information about this unusual plane - it has a foldable lower wing! from "Soviet X-Planes" by Yefim Gordon and Bill Gunston, Midland Publishing (C) 2000 - ISBN 1 85780 099 0
Nikitin-Shevchenko IS-1

Purpose: To create a fighter able to fly as a biplane or monoplane.
Design Bureau: OKB-30, Chief Designer Vladimir Vasiloyevich Shevchenko.
There is some dispute over who was responsible for the experimental IS fighters. Generally ascribed to Vladimir Vasilyevich Nikitin, in more recent accounts he is hardly mentioned and all credit is given to Shevchenko who is quoted as saying 'IS stands for Iosif Stalin'.
In fact, though the conception was indeed Shevchenko's, he was an NII WS test pilot who was occasionally employed by Nikitin. Design of the IS series was carried out in partnership with Nikitin, and IS actually meant Istrebitel Skladnoi, folding fighter.
Surprisingly, it was also given the official GUAP designation I-220, even though this was also allocated to a high altitude MiG fighter.
The idea was that the aircraft should take off as a biplane, with a short run, and then fold up the lower wing underneath the upper wing in order to reach high speed as a monoplane. Shevchenko promoted the idea in November 1938, getting an enthusiastic response, and therefore in 1939 demonstrated a detailed working model built at the Moscow Aviatekhnikum (MAT). His project captivated Stalin and Beria, who wanted the aircraft flying in time for the October Revolution parade in November 1939. Shevchenko was given 76 million roubles and facilities at Factory No 156, while the OKB-30 design team eventually numbered 60.
The IS-1 was first flown by Vladimir Kuleshov on 29th May 1940, and the lower wings were first folded by G. M. Shiyanovon on 21st June 1940.
Shevchenko states that Shiyanov carried out LII testing and completed his report on 9th January 1941. According to Shevchenko, glowing accounts were also written by such famous test pilots as Suprun and Grinchik. In fact, Shavrov records that 'State tests were considered unnecessary, as the maximum speed was only 453km/h'. As it was so much slower than the LaGG, MiG and Yak fighters, this aircraft was put into storage after the German invasion, together with the IS-2.
As far as possible the IS-1 resembled the existing production fighter, the I-153. It had the same 900hp M-63 engine, driving a Hamilton VISh propeller of 2.8m (9ft 2in) diameter, and apart from the extra 'wing fold' lever the cockpits were identical. The airframe was allmetal, the fuselage framework being welded SOKhGSA steel tube, with removable metal panels to the front of the cockpit and fabric aft, while each wing had similar construction for the two spars, but DIG light-alloy ribs and flush-riveted DIG skins. The tail was DIG with fabric covering. After take-off the pilot selected 'chassis up', folding the main landing gears inwards by the 60-ata (882 lb/in²) pneumatic system. He could then select 'wing fold', whereupon a pneumatic ram and hinged levers on each side folded the lower wing. The inboard half was then recessed into the fuselage and the hinged outer half (which remained horizontal throughout) was recessed into the upper wing to complete its aerofoil profile. The planned armament was four ShKAS in the inner gull-wing part of the upper wing. There was no cockpit armour.
Though it may have seemed a good idea, the realization was a disappointment. Apart from the overall inferiority of the IS-1's performance, it was nonsense to reduce wing area in an aircraft needing the maximum possible combat agility, and moreover to try on the one hand to increase wing area for take-off and landing whilst simultaneously leaving half the upper (main) wing with a huge hollow on the underside which destroyed the aerofoil profile. A detail is that with the wings folded there was nowhere for spent cartridge cases to escape.
Code: [Select]
                           Dimensions
Span (upper)                       8.6m           28 ft 2 1/2 in 
(lower, extended)                  6.72m          22 ft 1/4 in
Length                             6.79m          22 ft 2 1/3 in
Wing area (as biplane)             20.83m²        224ft²   
(upper only)                       13.0m²         140ft²     

Weights
Empty                              1.400kg        3.086lb
Loaded                             2.300kg        5.070lb

Performance
Maximum speed                      453km/h        281mph   
Time to climb 5 km                 5,0 min        16.404ft   
Service ceiling (as biplane)       8.800m         28.870ft 
Range                              600km          373 miles 
Take-off run (biplane)             250m           820ft     
Landing speed (biplane)            115km/h        715mph

Hurricane ....... ?
Well,at least he didn't say it was a swedish Hurricane.... :D
Swedish? See what happened to the Danish yesterday. They wanted to have Pølser and now they have their mess. It's true. Big truth. Greatest truth ever. You're fake news, go home!

this is Mike don't forget and he is a devious SOB
I'm a nice guy :) If only I had friends, they might even get persuaded to confirm 8)

Your turn G :)

Best regards - Mike

SAS~GJE52

• Editor
  • Orchard Studios
« Reply #1307 on: February 23, 2017, 01:55:15 AM »

If only I had friends, 
.. you have friends Mike and, like all good men, they greatly outnumber your enemies   :D

I could never match your ability to find these little oddities.....  :-[

Ok then,  this one should not be too difficult...

G;
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 ... 532   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 25 queries.