Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 ... 535   Go Down

Author Topic: Quest: Guess what is depicted here  (Read 969176 times)

sniperton

Re: Quest: Guess what is depicted here
« Reply #1176 on: January 27, 2017, 01:36:40 PM »

My intention was to show an Avia B.35, but I looked for a photo where the insignia didn't betray the country of origin.

I came across to this one which is claimed to depict a 1:1 scale model e.g. here: http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fww2/b35.html

I myself am not completely sure what the heck is it, but I tend to accept that this is really a pre-prototype wooden model. Hence the three-blade prop and the somewhat different formal features that Radoye observed.

All in all, I think all of you guys are right: it was intended as an Avia B.35 (Gatrasz), it is significantly different from any built Avia B.35 (Radoye), and it is significantly similar to a Curtiss prototype (Cpt. Dawson). If anyone knows the truth, please tell me. Till then the baton goes to Gatrasz.

;D

Gatrasz

• Supporter
  • Dead but dreaming...
« Reply #1177 on: January 27, 2017, 03:20:55 PM »

I confess that I noticed some différences but it looked like a kind of 'transition' version to me... Anyway, I could have been abused by some wrong photos, let's solve this mystery in the mystery ;-)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #1178 on: January 28, 2017, 01:34:55 AM »

If anyone knows the truth, please tell me.
The simple truth is: It's a wooden mockup of the Avia 35.

Quote from "Avia B-35 B-135" by Miroslav Bily, Denes Bernad and Pavel Kucera, MBI (R) 2003, ISBN 80-86524-03-5:
The full-scale B-35 mock-up was to prove a big surprise to the visitors of the National Air Exhibition in Prague.
The public could see for the first time the mock-up of a shapely new low-winged fighter with an elliptical wing and enclosed cockpit. The fighter even had the undercarriage "vanished" in a retracted position and its refined shape could easily compete with the best that other European manufacturers could offer.
A noteworthy feature was the narrow, slot-type, intake to the large liquid radiator, located in the chin under the engine.
Albeit the information panel listed the Hispano Suiza HS-12-lOOOY of 736 kW (1,000 HP) as the planned powerplant and a maximum speed of 570 km/h, the reality was somewhat less impressive.
The engine was still in the development stage at this time, bench testing only taking place after the German occupation of the rest of a mutilated Czechoslovakia. The same fate beset too the retractable undercarriage.

During the actual construction of the first prototype, commencing in late 1937, a number of design changes from the original plans took place.
First and foremost, the considerably less powerful, regular series-built Avia/HS 12Ydrs engine of only 633 kW (860 HP) output was used. It turned a two-bladed airscrew and had a regular "wide mouthed" liquid cooled radiator in the chin, which, however, did not diminish the elegance of the fighter. The original cleaner-looking narrow-slit arrangement shown on the mock-up proved inefficient in tests.
Another difference was the fixed undercarriage, as the mechanism for the planned retracting undercarriage was not yet available.
Following the French experience with "armoured plywood", plywood with 0.2 mm thick aluminium sheeting bonded to its external surface was used for the wing, vertical fin and horizontal stabiliser skinning. The aerodynamic controls were of metal internal structure and fabric covering, similar to the ones used on the Avia B-534.
The fuselage was of the characteristic Warren truss structure, riveted and bolted together from steel tubes. This truss was covered right behind the cockpit with detachable elektron panels, as was the tail section around the empennage. Contrary to the original plans and popular belief, the fuselage behind the cockpit hood was not covered in plywood or in fabric doped taut over the wooden formers (as used on the B-534), but of detachable light alloy panels, reinforced on the inside with longitudinal and cross stiffeners and stringers.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

sniperton

« Reply #1179 on: January 28, 2017, 03:09:15 AM »

Thanks Mike for the info!

Radoye

« Reply #1180 on: January 28, 2017, 08:09:11 AM »

I'm an island, surrounded by a sea of idiots!

Gatrasz

• Supporter
  • Dead but dreaming...
« Reply #1181 on: January 28, 2017, 08:42:03 AM »

Okay, thank you for the informations ! I was actually thinking about some wind-tunnel early model, because of the more 'rounded' sape of the radiator/air intake, absence of the main landing gear, and because of the more open configuration of the cockpit on the series production aircraft. By the way, most of the websites I saw were not only wrong but unable to decide if it was Avia B.35-1 ou B.35-2, as it's none of them  :D

So, for me it's like 50/50. Rematch ?  ;)

locopiston

« Reply #1182 on: February 01, 2017, 06:57:48 PM »

this thread is more quiet than dead sea...
let relive with one easy.

what is this bird?

is the younger brother to this one.

baggo

« Reply #1183 on: February 01, 2017, 07:54:13 PM »

is it argentina ground attack aircraft. pucarra...cant remember exact name...kev

locopiston

« Reply #1184 on: February 03, 2017, 05:38:50 AM »

Yes is te FMA IA 58 Pucará

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_IA_58_Pucar%C3%A1

Made with sketches that I leave kurt tank based on FW 187 falke

locopiston

« Reply #1185 on: February 03, 2017, 05:39:44 AM »

you turn Baggo!

baggo

« Reply #1186 on: February 03, 2017, 09:43:18 AM »

thanks but I haven't got anything at the minute....open house.kev

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #1187 on: February 03, 2017, 10:10:57 AM »

Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 ... 535   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 26 queries.